Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board > Introduce Yourself
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself to the Muscle and Brawn Community

Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Dude, It is like:

I'm 56 years old, 360 down from 445 and I hope to start training With Weights again Sometime soon.

I got down to 260 a few years ago, just lots of long slow cardio and a strict diet.

Even at 260, I could barely bend over to touch my toes ot do a deep-knee bend or Push-ip.

This time I'm adding in a whole lot more Strength Training.

I live in Southern Indiana or I'd by scheming an Invite to Train with you.

Be Strong.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
asu85260
Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2 Points: 106, Level: 2
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
asu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good posts

Like I said earlier...I have not really tried to modify my diet. ( I know...I hear it now...."you have not changed your diet, and you wonder why your "stuck"..really ? " ) Generally little or no breakfast. Lunch is fast food, small qty, but still fast food. Dinner will be soup, or some deli meat sandwich, or chilli. Maybe twice a month pizza. So...not too good.

So...here is a start. Today I scrambled 4lbs of ground turkey. Boiled sweet potatoes and carrots. I will have that for lunch & dinner with some no calorie salsa for taste. This is a start. Any help is appreciated.

As far as "work"..... my program right now, is M-W-F I do some barbell complex work. Example: tomorrow is 10min AMRAP of push ups, sit ups, 16" step ups. (10) reps each, max effort for 10min. Rest 5 minutes. 10min AMRAP 65lb barbell 10 reps of RDL / Bent over Row / Hang clean press / Back Squat. Max effort for 10min. Keep track of reps.

Tu-Th I have just started strength training. Started with empty bar, so little to no weight. Tu = Squat / Bench Press Th = Dead Lift / Bent over row.

ANY information, suggestions is appreciated. I feel I am a long way from where I want to be...but a long way from where I started. I want to compete in Powerlifting...and I will...it is a matter of "when"..not "if".

Thanks !
asu85260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
asu85260

asu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good postsasu85260 has made some good posts

` Saxon....thanks for the post. We are both coming from the same place.
Love to train with you ! And maybe someday who knows ? For now...it can be done right here. We could pick a program, stick with it, hold each other accountable and push each other. I know I will work harder, if I know I have to be accountable.

Keep pushing hard.....and never, ever quit !
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
I WILL
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Welcome and Congratulations on the weight loss thus far. With your attitude you will reach your goals. There are a lot of great people here willing to help you.

My thoughts for you would be start by eating breakfast daily and ditching the fast food for lunch. Replace it with something healthy. Eat and keep those calories clean. This will start you off on the right foot. Hope that helps some.

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
asu85260

Thanks I will. Planning for tomorrow. Bkfst will be a protein shake and some melon, lunch is the scrambled turkey, sweet potatoes and carrots. Dinner the same. I appreciate the info.
That may be too low for calories.

~ ~ Question for all...do you & is it important to count calories ?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu85260 View Post
Like I said earlier...I have not really tried to modify my diet. ( I know...I hear it now...."you have not changed your diet, and you wonder why your "stuck"..really ? " ) Generally little or no breakfast. Lunch is fast food, small qty, but still fast food. Dinner will be soup, or some deli meat sandwich, or chilli. Maybe twice a month pizza. So...not too good.

So...here is a start. Today I scrambled 4lbs of ground turkey. Boiled sweet potatoes and carrots. I will have that for lunch & dinner with some no calorie salsa for taste. This is a start. Any help is appreciated.

As far as "work"..... my program right now, is M-W-F I do some barbell complex work. Example: tomorrow is 10min AMRAP of push ups, sit ups, 16" step ups. (10) reps each, max effort for 10min. Rest 5 minutes. 10min AMRAP 65lb barbell 10 reps of RDL / Bent over Row / Hang clean press / Back Squat. Max effort for 10min. Keep track of reps.

Tu-Th I have just started strength training. Started with empty bar, so little to no weight. Tu = Squat / Bench Press Th = Dead Lift / Bent over row.

ANY information, suggestions is appreciated. I feel I am a long way from where I want to be...but a long way from where I started. I want to compete in Powerlifting...and I will...it is a matter of "when"..not "if".

Thanks !
Do you know how many calories you were eating when you lost the weight? If not how were you eating? What was your average day like?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #17
asu85260

~ BTB that is the odd part....no change. I have never counted calories (mistake #1) I ate the same, just less. 90% of the time, no breakfast. Lunch was a cheeseburger and small fry, or 3 tacos from Taco Bell, along those lines. Dinner was some soup & crackers, or a turkey sandwich, or a bowl of home made chili. Not a lot of chips or crap. Maybe my system is not getting enough to "fire the fat burning engine" anymore ? I did hurt my knee trying to actually run, big mistake, that stopped the training for 2 months. Now that I am back at it....I am stalled. Lost 4 pounds in 2 months, not typical of previous progress at all. But not giving up, just gotta find my way ! Thanks for the help !
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm thinking it's a good time to set a calorie ceiling for the day. I would try 2500 calories max per day for 2 weeks, making sure you get at least 180 grams of protein in.

The first week weight loss can be more rapid due to water loss, so what we really want to see is what happens during week 2.

You did real well not monitoring calories, but right now with your stall I think it's time to make a change.

When I am on a "diet" I usually alow up to 20% of my calories from anything - a cookie, a few chips, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
dossas
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

Hello and welcome to MAB.

When I started, a few years back, I lost a fair amount of weight from just becoming active. I didn't track (not that I even knew how) calories either. In addition, I remember how bad my diet would get when weekends came...junk food galore...and I still lost weight. I think that initial weight loss phase is just our bodies adjusting to increased activity. There is no way I could get away with it now.

From the stats you posted of yourself, I think you were WAAAY under for calories...

"Generally little or no breakfast. Lunch is fast food, small qty, but still fast food. Dinner will be soup, or some deli meat sandwich, or chilli. Maybe twice a month pizza." Even this would probably amount to maybe 1500 calories (probably less). Such calorie restriction would work in the beginning, but over time (as I feel has happened to you), your metabolism will stall.

As BTB said, set your calorie intake higher (eg: 2500), avoid processed food (especiallly processed carbs), healthy fats (fish, nuts, avocado, coconut oil, evoo), LOTS of veggies, some fruit, and PROTEIN.

I think counting/tracking calories and your macros is important to ensure fat loss while maintaining, and in your case, probably gaining muscle. If you don't know how, there are many people here that can help you. I have been doing a slow body recomp for the last 2.5 months. The first month was no weight loss, but I was regularily hitting PR's (and felt/looked a little leaner). I wasn't accurately tracking calories though. So I readjusted my tracking and have made progress in weight loss, body measurements, and bf%, while also maintaining strength levels.

You can do it man!! You are in a great place and seem to have a great attitude to reach your goals. Put it to work and I'm sure your "newbie gains" will be making people jealous!!!

Good luck!
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
asu85260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossas View Post
Hello and welcome to MAB.

When I started, a few years back, I lost a fair amount of weight from just becoming active. I didn't track (not that I even knew how) calories either. In addition, I remember how bad my diet would get when weekends came...junk food galore...and I still lost weight. I think that initial weight loss phase is just our bodies adjusting to increased activity. There is no way I could get away with it now.

From the stats you posted of yourself, I think you were WAAAY under for calories...

"Generally little or no breakfast. Lunch is fast food, small qty, but still fast food. Dinner will be soup, or some deli meat sandwich, or chilli. Maybe twice a month pizza." Even this would probably amount to maybe 1500 calories (probably less). Such calorie restriction would work in the beginning, but over time (as I feel has happened to you), your metabolism will stall.

As BTB said, set your calorie intake higher (eg: 2500), avoid processed food (especiallly processed carbs), healthy fats (fish, nuts, avocado, coconut oil, evoo), LOTS of veggies, some fruit, and PROTEIN.

I think counting/tracking calories and your macros is important to ensure fat loss while maintaining, and in your case, probably gaining muscle. If you don't know how, there are many people here that can help you. I have been doing a slow body recomp for the last 2.5 months. The first month was no weight loss, but I was regularily hitting PR's (and felt/looked a little leaner). I wasn't accurately tracking calories though. So I readjusted my tracking and have made progress in weight loss, body measurements, and bf%, while also maintaining strength levels.

You can do it man!! You are in a great place and seem to have a great attitude to reach your goals. Put it to work and I'm sure your "newbie gains" will be making people jealous!!!

Good luck!
Thanks all....Ordered a kitchen scale today. Gonna try what a friend suggested. He calls it "Pick it or Pluck it"....so.....if you can't pick it( actually pick it, fruit, veggies, nuts etc), or pluck it (chicken or turkey...you "pluck" them)...then f*** it, YOU DON'T EAT IT. That should get my protein in from meat, carbs from veggies, healthy fat from nuts & seeds. I know, I hear the Paleo chant now. But it makes sense. And from the counting I did 2500 calories is a LOT of chicken & veggies ! I will start a training log, and keep a calorie & weight total there. Please feel free to put me on track when I slip !