Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Need lots of advice!!! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13266)

chrislanig 04-10-2013 01:47 AM

Need lots of advice!!!

Hey what's up everybody. I'm 31 yrs old, 5'11", 185 lbs, never really lifted much at all, I'm what they call "skinny-fat." I have a moderate gut but not much muscle. I started being very interested in improving my physique late last year, but I was always looking for a quick, easy way to build some muscle and get ripped. I couldn't be less interested in that now. What I'm wanting to do now is just get really, really strong and obviously really big in the process. And I'm in it for the long haul too, a lifestyle. I don't wanna load up on a bunch of supplements for health reasons and also because I don't have the money. What r some realistic goals and results I can expect and what r the essential supplements like protein or maybe creatine? And what is a good workout plan to follow? Josh thigpen has a $50/4 lb jug of supplement powder that he developed...any thoughts?

leefarley 04-10-2013 03:36 AM

welcome to MAB

first off you dont need supplements,

for a routine to get big and strong off i would recomend the muscle and brawn fullbody workout, i cant link it because i'm not clever enough to do it.

there is a lot of expericend guys on here who can tell you more i'm sure you will get a lot more feed back.

I WILL 04-10-2013 04:59 AM

Hi Welcome to M&B.:)

You don't need a lot of supplements. You have the right idea just get started with a good protein powder, creatine and alot of healthy:chow:

Dray 04-10-2013 05:25 AM

My advice, take or leave it, is to check out the Workouts subforum and choose either the M&B Full Body program, or something close to it (full body, mostly big compound lifts).

Like others have said more or less, lifting and eating (and water - drink lots of water!) are more important than any supplements, in general. But you can't go too far wrong with some basic whey protein (concentrate or isolate, whichever) every day, and cheap creatine (pure CMH would be fine) if you want to see how that goes. Other things you could consider, but that might not be essential, are fish oil, and Vitamin D3. Case by case, raelly.

Focus on eating plenty of protein-rich food, like meat, eggs, fish, dairy, stuff like that. And make sure you also get enough micronutrients (etc.), so eat lots of (different) vegetables, and some fruit too if you like.

If you want to count calories, then do so, keeping in mind you'll want to be at a caloric surplus every day, to support the lifting you'll be doing.

As far as lifting goes, start LIGHT, leave your ego at the door, and progress *in some way* every session. Could be reps, could be weight, might be both even. But the key is progression.

Mr.Silverback 04-10-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I WILL (Post 348145)
Hi Welcome to M&B.:)

You don't need a lot of supplements. You have the right idea just get started with a good protein powder, creatine and alot of healthy:chow:

This...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dray (Post 348151)
My advice, take or leave it, is to check out the Workouts subforum and choose either the M&B Full Body program, or something close to it (full body, mostly big compound lifts).

Like others have said more or less, lifting and eating (and water - drink lots of water!) are more important than any supplements, in general. But you can't go too far wrong with some basic whey protein (concentrate or isolate, whichever) every day, and cheap creatine (pure CMH would be fine) if you want to see how that goes. Other things you could consider, but that might not be essential, are fish oil, and Vitamin D3. Case by case, raelly.

Focus on eating plenty of protein-rich food, like meat, eggs, fish, dairy, stuff like that. And make sure you also get enough micronutrients (etc.), so eat lots of (different) vegetables, and some fruit too if you like.

If you want to count calories, then do so, keeping in mind you'll want to be at a caloric surplus every day, to support the lifting you'll be doing.

As far as lifting goes, start LIGHT, leave your ego at the door, and progress *in some way* every session. Could be reps, could be weight, might be both even. But the key is progression.

And definitely this...

Welcome to the boards and feel free to ask away!

bamazav 04-10-2013 07:27 AM

The biggest thing you will need is patience. Don't rush thing, wait on it, the change will come if you give it time.

Off Road 04-10-2013 07:51 AM

The only supplement that is 'needed' is a healthy and balanced diet. Make sure you eat enough, you can't build muscle from nothing.

As for a workout routine, almost all of the basic pre-made routines will work well for you. Just pick something that fits your likes, time requirements, available equipment, and uses big compound lifts like squats and deadlifts.

The final ingredients are Time and Effort. Keep adding more reps and more weight to the bar, week after week, and in a few years those little steps will add up to BIG gains.

Good luck to you, keep us involved in your journey, and welcome to the forum.

Hunterace 04-10-2013 11:29 PM

Welcome :)

BigJosh 04-12-2013 10:30 AM

Welcome to the forum. Focus on eating food, getting stronger with basic lifts, and getting plenty of rest and you will get bigger and stronger.