Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Retired Fitness competitor, ready for new things! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13169)

twodragons 04-01-2013 09:22 AM

Retired Fitness competitor, ready for new things!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums! I heard about it awhile back, so I finally joined up here..Jen Zerwas recommended it, we are friends on facebook (Lisa Butz is my name)...I was a fitness competitor but retired last year. I was really sick of the industry and the image. I took about 8 months and just focused on my strength and really fell in love with powerlifting through following the Westside programs, I finally enjoyed going to the gym again!!!!! I think we all go through different stages in our lives, and it was time for me to acknowledge that I just don't fit into that "mold" anymore...I never was one of those women who liked doing endless cardio and tanning and being a "princess" for a day...however I did enjoy gymnastics and the routine was always so challenging and fun to learn crazy tricks. That was what intrigued me. But, the side I didn't like was the narcissistic, political, ass kisssing to get ahead side, and I hated training "like a bodybuilder"...I despised isolation work, cable machines, etc etc...I always liked compound lifts but was told I wasn't training to maximize my physique. It was a constant battle between what I 'wanted' and what was 'necessary'. I don't know if I will ever return to the stage now, it just doesn't feel right to me anymore. I am hoping to find more people here that I can "click" with, and I am actually doing my FIRST bench and deadlift event this month. Im scared as hell, but its a small non-sanctioned one so theres no pressure and I do believe it is a good step for me. Thanks again...I can't wait to get a log going here!

Hunterace 04-01-2013 09:24 AM

Welcome Lisa :)!

bruteforce 04-01-2013 09:33 AM

Welcome!

MikeM 04-01-2013 09:41 AM

Awesome. Doing what you like and having fun is key to happiness in my opinion.

BendtheBar 04-01-2013 10:22 AM

Welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can help in any way.

big_swede 04-01-2013 11:52 AM

Welcome to MAB!

IronWill 04-01-2013 11:56 AM

Hi Lisa! Nice wings! :)

twodragons 04-01-2013 12:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'm really looking to connect with like minded people and find my way so to speak in these unchartered waters of powerlifting:). I'm doing pretty well for the little time I've been at it. I have some gymnastics injuries going against me, such as a bulging disk that gives me grief off and on, and a bit of tendonitis in the shoulders that is manageable. My current max lifts are 140 bench, 225 squat, and 220 deadlift. My average bodyweight goes between 136-140. I'm very excited about getting these numbers up.

brad1224 04-01-2013 12:02 PM

Glad to have you here! ya you have to do what makes you happy

I WILL 04-01-2013 12:57 PM

Hi Lisa Welcome :) You will love it here!