Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetbigger View Post
Yes I am new to this. Which do you recommend me doing? I want to get bigger but I have some fat I need to lose first. Which would be the easier route to go?
seems like you know what you want to do first...

Quote:
I want to get bigger but I have some fat I need to lose first.
but asking what you should do first without pics or anything else isn't gonna get you anywhere...
And neither is "easier". if any of this was easy, everyone would be ripped and jacked.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

If you want to get bigger, forget about the fat you have now and focus on geting bigger.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
exfatman
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4

exfatman is off to a bad start

I used to be pretty fat. I focused on training hard first and got the muscles I wanted and then worked on losing the fat I needed to.
exfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Carvar
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

Carvar has made some quality postsCarvar has made some quality postsCarvar has made some quality postsCarvar has made some quality postsCarvar has made some quality postsCarvar has made some quality posts

To boost metabolism do break your meals in 5/6 small meals including snacks, increase water intake, drink green tea and avoid beverages and flavored juices. Do start exercise as it regulates our metabolism and helps in burning fat.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvar View Post
To boost metabolism do break your meals in 5/6 small meals including snacks, increase water intake, drink green tea and avoid beverages and flavored juices. Do start exercise as it regulates our metabolism and helps in burning fat.
5/6 meals is helpful, in some cases, but not necessary. The problem most folks have with metabolism, when trying to lose, is under eating. They apply the more is better mindset and cut too many calories, frying their metabolism. To boost, don't under eat, increase your protein intake, hydrate, avoid junk and exercise.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

You want your metabolism to ROCK! Do ya?! He, he!

Then stroke the calories baby! Put "appropriate" fuel in the furnace, and then fire up the engine (exercise), and you take off like a strong locomotive, baby! , and this will stroke the line of your genetic disposition.

If you remember anything as we continue this conversation, remember that more than ANYTHING else (within a healthy person) calorie manipulation (and knowing yourself as one influences these personally defined calories), and exercise manipulation (and adapting to bodily feedback) stokes the metabolism more than anything else.

IT IS NOT frequent meals--that fires up the metabolism (IMO). There has been many studies on this.

Frequent meals play an important "role" and "function" within ones personal goal path, and along with manipulating calories, can be used to deal effectively with bodily feedback (like hunger pangs, low energy, increasing blood sugar when appropriate, etc), but frequent meals play a very minor role in increasing metabolism.

Therefore, eat often, but donít get all depressed that you had to miss a meal because of life responsibilities. Be more concerned with "what" you eat, and how much of what you eat (total calories ingested for the 24 hour day).

When trying to reduce body fat where a calorie deficit is required, IMO, one should attempt to build/reserve as much muscle as possible in an environment that is less than optimal (for recovery, building muscle, etc), and continually attempt to improve/optimize these less than appealing conditions through diet and fitness knowledge, and most importantly, knowing yourself and watching the feedback received when applying diet and fitness knowledge.

Understand, that when all the smoke clears, and when you are done sweating and laboring in the gym (assuming healthy person), the almighty calorie is the "champ" in determining whether you grow muscle and/or lose fat tissue, along with proper progression in the gym, and "total" body recovery (not to leave out personal genetics, etc).

And, remember, the longer the trend (with genetics, age, and health considered), the calorie deficit, and the more fat tissue you lose, the more---adjustments the body makes to combat its losses, because the body does in fact like to remain the same, and it does not like...feeding itself for dinner. And, in this sense, is the very thing that is happening when you try to lose tissue weight.

Have a great and wonderful day!

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetbigger View Post
What are some excellent ways to speed up your metabolism?
Two simple steps:

Move more
Eat more often

That doesn't mean go overboard on any one aspect because chances are that the metabolic increase from the two combined is negligible in the grand scheme of things, but, moving increases the metabolic rate as does digestion...along with many things inbetween.

Don't complicate things for yourself
Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Goat
Max Brawn
Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33 Points: 3,004, Level: 33
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: MEAT
Goat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machineGoat is a lifting machine

Sip java: Sisterhood of the traveling spill-proof mugs, rejoice! A study published in the journal Physiology & Behavior found that the average metabolic rate of people who drank caffeinated coffee increased 16 percent over that of those who drank decaf. Caffeine stimulates your central nervous system by increasing your heart rate and breathing, says Robert Kenefick, Ph.D., a research physiologist at the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine. Honestly, could there be a more perfect beverage?

5 Tips to Speed Up Your Metabolism | Active.com

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country.One is by the sword.The other is by debt. - John Adams
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #19
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Squats and deadlifts.
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote