Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default Bitch about diet and exercise? Then stay fat!

Love this article by Lyle. He is a hard ass , bottom line sort of guy, and I like that......

I get things done, without smoking something up my ass, and sh$t blinding my vision.

He is a real gruff, but, he has good information, and I like his style. I personally do not care if anyone else agrees or not. But, there are a few out there in which may benefit with this sort of approach,,,,,on truth.

My favorite line written by Lyle M:

Don’t bitch about how much you hate dieting or exercise. You can either change your diet and activity patterns, or you can stay fat. Those are your two options, except for drugs.

How true this is:

To lose weight and keep it off you must change some aspect of your training and diet and do it forever.

If you don't get this. Then LIFE WILL TEACH you, that its true.

=============================================

Training Secrets

(Lyle McDonald)

Now, this is the American way:

Look for a quick fix secret instead of realizing that the only way to succeed is with ass busting work over a long period of time.

Give me a pill, a piece of equipment, a piece of clothing (UnderArmor being the new clothing of choice for gym posers everywhere). Anything except for having to put in ass busting work over a period of time.

Uh......got love it........

Any hoot here is Lyle's Article:

Training Secrets

What stimulated this article was an experience I had last week. As described in the About Me page I’m currently living in SLC Utah training full time at the speed skating oval trying to make National or Olympic qualifying trials (making the team, of course, is the ultimate dream).

Anyhow, last week I made friends with one of the other skaters (most of the skaters at the oval are, shall we say, unfriendly. Coming from me that’s saying a lot. I personally think they carry the same elitist prick gene that road cyclists carry but I digress). He’s young and big, I shall call him The Big Kid (TBK).

So TBK and I are at dinner talking skating. He tells me that he moved down here to try and make the national team. Ok, I’m down. Except that when I see him at the rink, he’s usually spending more time hitting on the chicks instead of training.

TBK also opines that he is just convinced that the top guys must have some secret. Ah, there’s the rub, he’s still looking for secrets instead of realizing that the only secret is ass busting work over a long period of time. And that’s what stimulated this article.

I still get emails, see posts to my forum, etc. from people looking for that elusive training or diet secret. Something quick and easy, preferably in pill form that can be taken and make you great without putting in ass busting work over a long period of time.

Now, this is the American way, look for a quick fix secret instead of realizing that the only way to succeed is with ass busting work over a long period of time. Give me a pill, a piece of equipment, a piece of clothing (UnderArmor being the new clothing of choice for gym posers everywhere). Anything except for having to put in ass busting work over a period of time.

Anything. Supplement companies, magazines, equipment companies use this to their advantage. Read a muscle magazine, a fishing magazine, a women’s magazine, all use the same cover boilerplate that promises training, fishing or sex secrets. It’s the same wording.

* 10 Training Secrets for Muscle Building
* 10 Bassmaster Secrets for Catching a Big Lunker
* 10 Sex Secrets You Can Use Tonight

Now, this reminds me of me when I was back in college, an athlete who desperately wanted to be better and who got sucked into all of the crap in the magazines. This magic supplement, this magic training program, I read the muscle magazines religiously for years just so I wouldn’t miss that one issue that contained the secret.

Then I got my head (partially anyhow) out of my ass.

Over time, as I gained experience (and the horror of all horrors: maturity), I realized that there are no secrets. The equation is simply ass busting work + time = results. There are no shortcuts, no secrets, no easy solutions (except drugs).

Sure, you need to train smart, you need to apply good principles to your diet and training and some stuff is relatively more effective than other stuff. But once you’ve got the basics, all you can do is bust ass for a long period of time. Or take drugs. Both work and, of course, drugs are easier. See my bromocriptine booklet for example.

So with that said, I give you the training and diet secrets I have developed over the past decade (note: this is why I’ll never be a best selling author).

Training Secrets for Size and Strength Gains (for Naturals)

1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a body part less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You’ll get less sore training more frequently and you’ll grow better. Save once/week body part training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3. When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don’t need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bull**** written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can’t get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a ****y in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights ‘argument’: both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can’t magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can’t buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won’t grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you’re not hungry or your schedule won’t allow it. It’s about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don’t eat enough.

7. Diets should be based around whole foods first, supplements second. Remember the hoopla over zinc and testosterone and ZMA from Balco (hi Victor, hope you’re enjoying the forced sodomy in jail)? Red meat is a great source of zinc, iron, B12 and protein. Not to mention who knows how many other trace nutrients that are involved in optimal human physiology. Eat it every day. Remember all of that crap about indole 3 carbinole. Guess what, it’s found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. Every time you hear about a new magic compound, 99 times out of 100 it’s found in some whole food that you’re probably not eating. Eat whole foods with a ****pile of veggies every day.

8. There is no singular best protein, each one has pros and cons. Generally, I thinnk casein is better for dieting, whey for around workouts, whole proteins the rest of the time. You can’t beat milk (and the dairy calcium has benefits on bodyfat). I think mixing proteins at a given meal is a good idea to eliminte any shortcomings of one. I think food combining (or protein rotation) is a lot of hippy holistic bull****.

Dieting Secrets for Fat Loss

1. You can’t magically lose weight unless you eat less or burn more calories with activity. Not unless you take drugs and those either make you eat less or burn more anyhow.

2. Don’t bitch about how much you hate dieting or exercise. You can either change your diet and activity patterns, or you can stay fat. Those are your two options, except for drugs.

3. To lose weight and keep it off you must change some aspect of your training and diet and do it forever.

4. All diet books, no matter what line of bull**** they sell you, are working in terms of what’s in #3. Cutting all of the carbs out of your diet will generally make you eat less, so will cutting out all of the fat, so do diets taht change your eating habits in one fashion or another. Some books go the activity route. At the end of the day, even if they tell you that you don’t have to eat less to lose weight, they will trick you into doing it one way or another

Note: My job, as diet book author, is to turn Eat Less, Exercise, Repeat Forever into a 300 page book. Most diet books do it with 150 pages of recipes.

Everything else that you may come across, including my various gibberings in my books, are just details on the above. But at a fundamental level, until you are dealing with that 1% of 1% of trainees (elite athletes, bodybuilders trying to get to 5% bodyfat without muscle loss), those secrets are about all you need to know.

The equation is this:

Hard Work + Consistency + Time = Results.

Yep. The only way.

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
To lose weight and keep it off you must change some aspect of your training and diet and do it forever.
This quote is key when it comes to nearly any aspect of fitness. Oh man, does it apply to the kids who just want a quick fix...a 2 month workout and a 6 pack.

There is no quick fix. It's a lifetime journey. I had a six pack. I worked DAMN hard to get it. It lasted 2 days. I went out on the weekend with some friends, checked the mirror on Monday, and it was gone.

FOREVER = key word.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This quote is key when it comes to nearly any aspect of fitness. Oh man, does it apply to the kids who just want a quick fix...a 2 month workout and a 6 pack.

There is no quick fix. It's a lifetime journey. I had a six pack. I worked DAMN hard to get it. It lasted 2 days. I went out on the weekend with some friends, checked the mirror on Monday, and it was gone.

FOREVER = key word.
How true this is, Steve. I did the same thing early on in my journey. I trained and dieted hard for nearly a year and half; sweated, got hurt, angry, and depressed at times (because how slow the process can get--especially when the body adapts), while training and dieting to earn my goal, only to go out one weekend, and eat a ton of carbohydrates, and swelled up like a ballooned whale in heat. It was a life teaching lesson, though, it was a small thing, it spoke very loud.

Personally, I do not think the body was designed to look so-called "ripped" on a daily basis (dependent on the level we are speaking). The level of diet discipline and education, would literally tear one up. Speaking to the average. There is a reason boxers, and other athletes, train before each fight (and look lean prior), and then lay off, and repeat.

It follows then, what brought someone to a certain level of leanness, the person is going have to do similar functions and levels of training and diet to maintain it--on regular basis. And, know a lot about diet manipulation--and APPLY IT--daily..... And, most whom aspire to get lean stumble at this very moment...when they get there and earn there goal, they have no idea what to do when there done.

But, are they truly done?

No, not really.

As the saying goes: Its the journey, not the destination.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-06-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
backus
New Brawn
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

backus is off to a bad start

Good article. I like the straightforwardness of diet and exercise or stay fat. You get to choose what you want, so if you do not like to exercise, you must prefer to be fat.
backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backus View Post
Good article. I like the straightforwardness of diet and exercise or stay fat. You get to choose what you want, so if you do not like to exercise, you must prefer to be fat.
Just to throw a proverbial wrench in here, some people that workout and workout really hard are still overweight, a fact that they are fully aware of, but the point is, they like exercise and are consistent with it.

Generally, it comes down to diet and seldom exercise alone, otherwise half the people that lift a ton at meets would be slim guys.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Just to throw a proverbial wrench in here, some people that workout and workout really hard are still overweight, a fact that they are fully aware of, but the point is, they like exercise and are consistent with it.

Generally, it comes down to diet and seldom exercise alone, otherwise half the people that lift a ton at meets would be slim guys.
Not a wrench at all. The "context of the article" was for a different set of people.

I too have people in my life that exercise, and diet to a degree, that are quite happy with who they are, and are overweight. They KNOW the basics of diet mechanics real well---and implement what is required.

Its just that.....there....personal goals are different.

The article isn't speaking to ones with medical issues, either, that apply and do what they need to, and are happy with their level of personal results.

This articles addresses A LOT OF PEOPLE though.

Deep down, they KNOW who they are.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by backus View Post
Good article. I like the straightforwardness of diet and exercise or stay fat.
This statement was in context for a certain type of people, in his article.

Quote:
You get to choose what you want, so if you do not like to exercise, you must prefer to be fat.
I Like articles like that too. I want the bottom line, bro. Don't sweet talk me. Don't put BS up my butt, tell me what I need to do, why I need to do it, and at the same time, "tell me like it is".

Its the only way to get things done. Sure there are many vasts verbal approaches in communicating to people to get a point a cross......

But, IT ALWAYS SETTLES ON THE BOTTOM LINE.

This way I rock and roll with the stuff that works, and I obtain the bitter-sweet science of the facts of living this life--while wanting to earn a fitness goal.

Even ones with less limbs, medical issues, and the alike, do what it takes, and what it takes to maintain what it takes---for their personal goal level.

The article was addressing the ones that moan and groan, and make excuses; not for ones in which--apply---what they need to, and like what they are doing, and achieving the level of success....they want.

There are many viewing angles to this article, than just one-dimensional. We sometimes choose what to see, and fail to see it from multiple viewing angles to obtain other benefits.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-06-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
Not a wrench at all. The "context of the article" was for a different set of people.

I too have people in my life that exercise, and diet to a degree, that are quite happy with who they are, and are overweight. They KNOW the basics of diet mechanics real well---and implement what is required.

Its just that.....there....personal goals are different.

The article isn't speaking to ones with medical issues, either, that apply and do what they need to, and are happy with their level of personal results.

This articles addresses A LOT OF PEOPLE though.

Deep down, they KNOW who they are.
I know; I was simply responding to the poster above not the "context of the article" because the poster had altered the context to "don't like exercise, stay fat" and we are very aware of people that lift exceptional weightloads AND like exercise but are overweight.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Personally, I do not think the body was designed to look so-called "ripped" on a daily basis (dependent on the level we are speaking). The level of diet discipline and education, would literally tear one up. Speaking to the average. There is a reason boxers, and other athletes, train before each fight (and look lean prior), and then lay off, and repeat.
I agree with this completely. It's an art form and gets much harder for most as the years pass. At least for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

Pure awesome.