Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default The program is not the magic

If I Knew Then What I Know Now: The Genius is Not in the Program

Quote:
The other day I was reading a few things about Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program, when it occurred to me that I read somewhere else, almost the same thing. So I crossed-referenced it, and read a few ideas by Josh Bryant that sounded vaguely familiar with a few things I read about earlier on the Charles Poliquin site. Now I got to thinking, what is this – plagiarism? So, I read on, looking at the Conjugated Program vs. Western Periodization, The “Harry” method vs. Marine Corps Recruit training. The Xfit vs. the Ihavenoidea programming…when all of a sudden it dawns on me! All the BEST programs aren’t the best because of some hidden secret. Oh heck no, they’re the best programs for the people that read them and can adhere to them. The similarities that I was beginning to believe were stolen ideas from one great program designer to the next, were in fact nothing more than the old Progressive Overload Training Method, which states: “Progressive overload is the gradual increase of stress placed upon the body during exercise training.”
Quote:
I was relieved that my peers weren’t “ripping” off each other. In fact, they were confirming the BASIC principals that worked since the recorded efforts since the end of World War II. The similarities, are in fact, CONFIRMATIONS of the right things.

The DIFFERENCES and the genius of each program out there, is the PERSON that it attracts.

I heard it said a number of ways.

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.”

“Some athletes need to be lead, others need to be pushed.”

“The ah-ha moment occurred when Coach (fill in the name) said (blank).”

We heard the messages hundreds of times. It was always the same message. It never changed…EVER! What is different? What makes the 5/3/1 superior to the Starting Strength Method, or vice versa? What does the “Josh” method have over the “Poliquin” method? NOTHING! What it has is the personality that fits the individual.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I just read that article on elitefts and it really rings true. As long as the basic principals are covered, the routine has to fit the persons likes and desires. The most productive programs are the one's you believe in and apply effort to.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good points!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I say this often to some of the novices who ask which program is best...it doesn't matter much. Pick the one that most motivates you to train.

Obviously this discussion relates to programs which are soundly constructed to begin with. Even then, I would rather have someone develop the habit of training with a sub-par workout, then to not lift at all. Sub-par programming can be fixed, but it's hard to motivate someone to get their arse to the gym.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote