Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Water retention? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9800)

Jen 04-28-2012 08:06 PM

Water retention?

I am wondering if this is normal..... I have noticed some signifigant water retention -- mostly in the thighs and calves after lifting. I haven't had water retention like this since I was pregnant (and NO, I'm not pregnant, lol). I am just wondering if this is "normal"? No, my diet hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is the fact that I started the lifting and using 110 cal protein powder 2X a day.

Chillen 04-28-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 236985)
I am wondering if this is normal..... I have noticed some signifigant water retention -- mostly in the thighs and calves after lifting. I haven't had water retention like this since I was pregnant (and NO, I'm not pregnant, lol). I am just wondering if this is "normal"? No, my diet hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is the fact that I started the lifting and using 110 cal protein powder 2X a day.

The body of a woman, sometimes do weird shit. I mean look around and read a little, it amazes me sometimes, the weird (water retention, and body fat placement) of woman as compared to men, even when they are not pregnant--or on their monthly period cycle. Their hormonal composite is much different, and just does different things to them as compared to some men.

Changing variables:

1. Training

Sometimes with woman, with a new routine (and not speaking to period hormonal changes), the body tends to distribute water to the muscle, and this can cause some temporary swelling even after not training for a day or two.

2. Diet

With your protein powder, what is the carbohydrate grams/salt content? And what is your salt/carbohydrate/fiber content for the day? The powder alone...wouldn't be the cause. What has been your carbohydrate consumption now as compared to when you were not training or dieting?

Is their creatine MONO in this protein powder supplement? Some whey powders carry this as part of the ingredient composite, without advertising it on the label.

If water retention persists, causes pain, and you can not narrow it down to your period, diet, etc, go see a doctor about it.

Ryano 04-28-2012 08:26 PM

"The body of a woman, sometimes do weird shit."

I agree....

Jen 04-28-2012 09:11 PM

Thanks Chillen! I will definatley look into those things. My carb/salt intake has been similar to before, if anything, it's lessened as I am trying to shed fat while building muscle. I will look for that ingrediant in the powder -- otherwise the carb/sodium in the powder is 1 g carbs, 80 mg sodium -- so not too horrible.

The calves are the worst of it. I look down and it's like, wth?! Grrrrrrrrr

Chillen 04-28-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 236991)
Thanks Chillen! I will definatley look into those things. My carb/salt intake has been similar to before, if anything, it's lessened as I am trying to shed fat while building muscle. I will look for that ingrediant in the powder -- otherwise the carb/sodium in the powder is 1 g carbs, 80 mg sodium -- so not too horrible.

The calves are the worst of it. I look down and it's like, wth?! Grrrrrrrrr

You are welcome young lady! :)

I brought up Creatine Mono, only because it can cause some water retention; however, it tends not to be localized to specific areas. So, if this specific whey powder doesn't have it, then its not the cause. And, even if does, it may not be, but something to keep in mind in the future.

I take it isn't that time of the month? :)

Jen 04-29-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillen (Post 236997)
You are welcome young lady! :)

I take it isn't that time of the month?
:)

At the risk of TMI..... it actually is. However -- I've never retained water like this before in my life (outside of pregnancy). I'm gonna take the wait and see approach. maybe it will resolve itself in a few days? I poked around the web some and it seems like, for women anyway, there is some normalcy with water retention/weight lifting. The advice there was "it will resolve in a few days" -- my thought was --- well, what if you lift 3/4 times a week and you never get "a few days" past lifting?!

Whatever. Frustrating. We'll see.

Rich Knapp 04-29-2012 09:55 AM

May sound funny but, drink more water and the body will flush even more out.

Jen 04-29-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 237092)
May sound funny but, drink more water and the body will flush even more out.

I will do that, Rich! Thank you!

gaspers04 04-29-2012 10:09 AM

Im retaining fat :D

5kgLifter 04-29-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 236988)
"The body of a woman, sometimes do weird shit."

I agree....

If only it were sometimes, we'd be much happier :)