Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default Short Rant on Alcohol from a E-Mail Question

This is a response I gave to a person (nameless), in which has had an on-going issue with alcohol--while wanting to lose about 50 pounds of unwanted fat tissue. His diet and macros have been set up particularly to him many weeks ago, and other specific issues have been addressed since the person lives in a dorm, which brings categorical specific issues. Training has been setup, and he has all the tools he needs. He just needs to implement the process.

For weeks now, he has been ruining his diet on the weekends leading into and including Monday's: Over consumption of alcohol in excess of a case per day, in addition to dining on pizza, chips, and other types of high caloric food items.

In the last line of the e-mail he wrote:

"Last few nights, I went out and had a few shots as well as a few beers, and did a lot of munching. I know its bad, but I'm in college, its unavoidable"

The above didn't sit with me too well. As it boils down to the heart of the matter: You have to want your goal "enough" to apply "enough of you" to get the job completed within the environment your are in--when you have the tools of education to base decisions from.

And, my response:

I want you know that I wrote this from my heart for you my friend. I hope you can make sense of it, and I want to talk to you about it.

A friend lends a hand and extends it, and holds the right hand of the other friend firm acknowledging friendship, but sometimes the friend holding the right hand has to extend the left hand and slap the friends left hand at the same time: Thus a TRUE FRIEND.

I disagree entirely. This is utter…….BUNK!

You can be the independent FUNCTION and subordinating CONJUNCTION in the environmental DYSFUNCTION and your training and dieting goals will not MALFUNCTION.

YOU are at fault……bottom line.

YOU made the DECISION and CHOICE to drink; you allowed the surrounding environment to point a gun to your head to make you "think" you had no decision and no choice, and the gun went off.

Don’t be misinformed, even adults have this problem. Therefore don’t even think that this type of problem is just restricted to your age and present atmosphere; it will be one you will fight most of your life and into adulthood.

Though the stimulants within the circumference of the atmosphere may be different as we mature and age ; whether you are holding the gun in hand on the lap or by the head, or throw it away, is based on your CHOICES and DECISIONS you make (in the "context" we are speaking).

There are some variables in life we have no control over, but the wisdom is knowing the difference between them.

Your perceptive view, attitude, and subsequent reaction, to the recognized things you can change and things you cannot change, can make an impeccable distinction between your internal emotions and the circumstance(s) and subsequent feedback and/or consequences; internally being able to separate attitude, perception, potential reaction, WITH acknowledging just how powerful ones emotions can define and manipulate each of the aforementioned.

Recognize that emotions can and will try to be functional in decisions and reactions: Some emotions are impulse related, stimulated by circumstances and/or atmosphere, some emotions are more personal related to opinions, feelings, beliefs, personality, and other associated human functions.

BUT: Emotions can LIE and tell you the TRUTH.

Example:

You know you "shouldn't do something" (your brain is being logical, this logic is based on a "premise"), but strong emotions kick in in favor of the event or become twisted, as does some memory, and atmosphere stimulants, that tend to favor the unwanted action that your logic has factored against): your emotions just lied against your logic inference, and you WILL pay a PRICE in the result.

Subsequently when you get finished with the event your logic was against, this happens: The logic fundamentally stays the same going from "I should not do this" to "I shouldn't have done that", but the emotions do a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: Going from: " euphoria " "desire" "anticipation" (strongest feelings), "slight depression" (guilt potential) (weakest), to: " Lined Depression" ," Anger", "Some Heavy Guilt", "Despair",----as the emotions now have become on par or in line with the logic against the action--after the fact, and this without adding in any "Biological Factors" that may or may not exist (feeling of dehydration, headache, loss of energy, etc.)

Thus emotions can carry over a "disease" effect on some other factors such as attitude, demeanor, and "overall internal feeling" , and can effect other decisions, that same day or subsequent days following the "bad" decision. How much and how long depends on "subject matter on decision" ----and the internal "VALUE" it opposed.

In my opinion, everyone has a separate "View Box" from which all emotional stimulants, biological factors, brain perception, and personality traits and functions, feed into. These aforementioned stimulants, perceptions, factors, traits, and functions, feed into YOURSELF, and thus determine your decision.

If you can separate your "view box" (yourself), from the various stimulants, perceptions, factors, traits, and functions, (lets call these: "Persona"), and feed these independent but sometimes "washing machine mechanisms" of the persona into your "view box", and then let your "view box" equate this to the "value" you have placed on a "subject matter", you WILL win more than you will lose (and most of the time when you in fact view things like this, when you in fact lose, it is "usually" a situation you had no control over, or was limited in some fashion).

You are going to have to take this "view Box" and "POLICE" your "Persona" correctly in conjunction with your "want-o-meter" level of your personal goals, young man, and control the "meter" correctly. And, it is this VERY THING, that fails many persons and its just not you in college: we all have variable environmental factors that influence us………….STOP CRYING because its college and this is what you do……..HOG WASH!

I been where you are at (in a school dorm--I know). Put your "view box in control", and when other factors inside you wreak havoc, pull from strength, desire, passion, WILL POWER, or any other stimulus you can view, and raise the fricken' "want-o-meter" to the level necessary to maintain your path: And, THEN when this is done ENOUGH, you can take your "view box" and allow a lowering of this same meter and not hurt your goal path. UNDERSTAND?!

Do these "PERSONA'S" control you or do YOU control them? THIS IS THE QUESTION.

AIM SINK THIS IN YOUR HEART:

Anything (or most things) that are NOT worth achieving--are easy to obtain. Think about it. Most persons all they have to do to gain weight (or get fatter) is EAT (how hard is that? For most persons).

Most things that are worthwhile to obtain are the HARDEST but one in which can bring the most satisfaction (i.e. deficit dieting, training and adapting to responses given by the body).

Each day that you achieve and win your mental battles you win, and brings you one step closer. Each day that this occurs, has an accumulation effect that will creep up on you, and before you know it, your there. And no feeling in the world will overcome the daily feeling you get once your there.........Rock on today.

Read these below:

"So many people complain that life is unfair, but that very fact proves just how fair it can be. Life doesn't discriminate. Everyone's life contains difficulties."

It is courage, courage, courage, that raises the blood of life to crimson splendor. Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity.

True hope dwells on the possible, even when life seems to be a plot written by someone who wants to see how much adversity we can overcome.

We all share them: We all have weakness and difficulties, however, we must have the consciously aided intellect to overcome them.

We must have high expectations and reasonable demands place on ourselves to expect to receive high achievements.

We hold the keys to our own cages and can free ourselves when we use our courage and inner strength to overcome our fears---J.H. Newman.

=============

You have to set your boundaries, and let everyone around you know what these are, and then say No enough to complete your persona mission within the confinement of losing tissue.

I will be sending you some suggestions, and other information.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
In the last line of the e-mail he wrote:

"Last few nights, I went out and had a few shots as well as a few beers, and did a lot of munching. I know its bad, but I'm in college, its unavoidable"
An excuse is just that, an excuse, no matter how a person dresses it up.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Jamesw
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

There is no better way to derail fitness gains than with alcohol.

I love my beers but in a very limited fashion these days.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw View Post
There is no better way to derail fitness gains than with alcohol.

I love my beers but in a very limited fashion these days.
Good to see you posting again, Krak!

Alcohol, is one ingredient among many in the recipe for a disaster in someone wanting to lean out. Of course, there are variables to consider, but most get all gun-ho, for wanting to lean out or lose weight for the first few days or so, when the body really hasn't kicked in its defense mechanisms that effect one biologically (and psychologically), and bottom out because simply they can not handle the hunger complications that are apart of it (and do not have a plan to attack this)--but talk so big at the beginning. In addition, most do not know how to manipulate their diet---that would allow extra calorie--tolerance (and this exists, if it is set up properly---for a time frame)

Good to see you James!

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Chillen
Max Brawn

To continue:

Yes.....

When referring to excessive drinking:

Throwing up, being severely dehydrated, having a headache, an over all feeling like utter crap, and shifting your liver into unhealthy overdrive, is whole lot of post-drinking fun.

Makes the previous night of alcohol induced behavior modifications worth it.

Of all the calls for service I had went on when I was police officer, alcohol induced behavior modifications without question, was the number #1 problem child, which was only enhanced with the "type" of personality behind the consumption.

One enters a completely different world when a police officer, that isn't "really" transparent to the public, though Mr. and Mrs. Public will claim to know it, they really don't have a friggen clue.

Dealing with it face to face, and walking the steps making decisions on-the-fly while knee deep in sh^t, is far different then Mr. and Mrs. Public being an arm-chair quarterback with an opinion seeing something on the news or what they may read; the vast majority isn't even in the newspapers or news.

I have no problem with responsible drinking of alcohol, its the part where the person "thinks" prior to the consumption that they can control their behavior modification, when in fact they cannot and they hurt themselves or someone else, that I have a problem with--that they would not have otherwise have done, if they had not drank alcohol.

Some may go a time and be just fine. But, it only takes one life changing event no matter how many times you think you had controlled it in the past. Most decisions thinking one can handle it are made prior to the drug's influence; however, when the drug kicks in (as when they start drinking) for some they lose this control, and never quite correlate difference between the two or simply don't care cause' they want that "feeling" back despite the negative aspects of the hang-over.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Three words of persons whom consume alcohol--in excess.

1. Wash

Lets go have a great time, and drink passed the point of fun, leading to the GREAT DOWNER period!

Hell YEA!

2. Rinse

Oh, I am sick, I am never going to drink again. Throwing up in toilet, headaches, dehydration, shaking, and feeling like utter crap. Doesn't train, and could even lead to over-eating/under-eating.

3. Repeat.

Irony-eventually becomes detached from the rinse period, and ready to wash, rinse, and repeat again.

This will be repeated as often as necessary until a full internal commitment is reached within to solve one's puzzle-of--appropriate frequency and application in life, unless.....there is a life changing event during the alcohol consumption period.

I have worked many vehicle accidents when I was a police officer, and many involved "intoxicated" drivers, with body parts in and outside the respected vehicles. And, you can always "tell" which vehicle had a person that had been drinking alcohol---just by the smell.

Not by the spilled containers (there isn't ANY--in the scenario I am giving), BUT BY THE SPILLED STENCH of the blood. It can smell like PURE alcohol (and thus PART of the reason the breath of the person is laced with the smell)

I remember going to autopsies on a few of the driver/passengers, and some haven't had alcohol (according to the finding of the examiner) at least 3 to 4 hours PRIOR to the accident.

It may sound like I am against alcohol consumption. I am actually not against it, necessarily. I have just walked among the public for 12 years, and have experienced the variables of it, that others form an opinion on reading on the Internet, TV, and other media.

When my children were growing up, and became old enough, I made the decision to be pro-active on this subject; however, I left them the "choice" as I felt stuffing their throat with it would just simply lead to rebellion (over simplifying here). In there teens (and though I was not regularly active, I was still a reserve officer time to time), I took them on patrols with me while I was answering calls for service, and we had many educated talks on this subject matter over the years. Along the way, it was their "choice" not to drink, and to this very day, where the "degree" of responsibilities to this subject has left me as a father (because the eldest is on his own and an adult), they still do not drink, and I never had a problem with them when minors. Believe me, I am not naive. They made educated decision based on the brain, and not based on "feeling", and have far more inside them than most at their age bracket, and enjoy life to its fullest potential.

If you can do it responsibly. Fine. If you can't, get rid of it, before it hands you an ass whooping.

Best regards,

Chillen

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168: