Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Jen
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member
Default Diagnoss me please

My left knee is painful when I walk. When I work out it is pretty painful the first few squats, but once I'm warm and streched, it is fine. No issues at all.

So, why does it hurt when I walk? The pain is on the inside and on the bottom. Like, it you were looking at it straight on, it would be the southwest corner, so to speak.

The knee also looks swollen compared to the other one. The thing that has me scratching my head is why is it fine when I workout and a PITA when I'm not??

Thoughts?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
jmoore87
Brawn
Points: 268, Level: 5 Points: 268, Level: 5 Points: 268, Level: 5
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Training Exp: 10
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Chocolate Milk
jmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good postsjmoore87 has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
My left knee is painful when I walk. When I work out it is pretty painful the first few squats, but once I'm warm and streched, it is fine. No issues at all.

So, why does it hurt when I walk? The pain is on the inside and on the bottom. Like, it you were looking at it straight on, it would be the southwest corner, so to speak.

The knee also looks swollen compared to the other one. The thing that has me scratching my head is why is it fine when I workout and a PITA when I'm not??

Thoughts?
I would go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry!
Deadlift 551, 540

Offseason mode to heal up!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...fting-log.html
jmoore87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Jen
Max Brawn

Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore87 View Post
I would go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry!
I don't wannaaaaaaaaaaaa........ frick.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would lay off squats for a few weeks at least. See if it heels. If it is not getting better, doc time. Especially if it's a sharp pain and the swelling remains.

Dull or sharp pain? And on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how bad does it get?

Also, you have been hitting it real hard lately. I would chill on any marathon treadmill sessions for a couple weeks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Jen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would lay off squats for a few weeks at least. See if it heels. If it is not getting better, doc time. Especially if it's a sharp pain and the swelling remains.

Dull or sharp pain? And on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how bad does it get?

Also, you have been hitting it real hard lately. I would chill on any marathon treadmill sessions for a couple weeks.

Its a dull pain. About a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Enough to be annoying and let me know its there, but it doesn't shut me down. Jamie was saying tendonitis (sp?).

Jeez, I can't even imagine stopping for a few weeks. How about not adding weight and just working on form?

I had bursitis (sp??) in my hip bone a few years back and it feels similar to that. Grrrrrrrrrrr....... I am not a patient person. I was going to take the day off the elliptical and get back on tomorrow, lol
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Could be arthritis, could be any number of things. If it's possible to do exercises that don't aggravate it, do them but since it seems like it hurts most of the time, it would be wise to find out what's wrong with it.

I have intermittent aggro from my lower legs, occasionally, where it feels like someone struck the top outside edge of the fibula with a hammer and then its painful to take every step when walking; yesterday it acted up but today it feels fine, if it became the norm, I'd be at the docs asking for a check-up though. Mine is like yours, nothing causes it, it just occurs.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Jen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Could be arthritis, could be any number of things. If it's possible to do exercises that don't aggravate it, do them but since it seems like it hurts most of the time, it would be wise to find out what's wrong with it.

I have intermittent aggro from my lower legs, occasionally, where it feels like someone struck the top outside edge of the fibula with a hammer and then its painful to take every step when walking; yesterday it acted up but today it feels fine, if it became the norm, I'd be at the docs asking for a check-up though. Mine is like yours, nothing causes it, it just occurs.

My husband is of this school of thought -- if you can exercise on it once your body is warm, then its ok and just something you need to learn to deal with. He told me he's been dealing with tendenitis (I suck at spelling) since he was a teenager -- and he is 42 now. He suggested a wrap/band thing that goes under my knee cap to keep the knee cap from sliding down. I was going to take the wait and see approach. Maybe ice it tonight. Not ruling out getting it looked at, just want to give it a few days.

I like hearing peoples advice and opinions, *especially* experts in the field. I sincerely appreciate the time you guys take to read these and respond!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

i lift unless i physically cant...thats not to say im smart. i know i shouldnt, but...yeah. i am at least aware of plenty of things wrong with my joints, etc.

you should have it checked out. stop being a baby.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
i lift unless i physically cant...thats not to say im smart. i know i shouldnt, but...yeah. i am at least aware of plenty of things wrong with my joints, etc.
you should have it checked out. stop being a baby.

Dont worry, we would NEVER imply such a thing Titan.....bawhaha! Love ya Buddy!

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Is there anything that started the pain originally? Ever get hit sideways or anything like that? Reason I ask is that the inside of my left knee does the same thing. My 5 year old hit my knee and bent it inward awkwardly, but not horribly so. Anyway, after a couple weeks it was still hurting when I started to squat, but magically disappeared as I got into heavier weights.

Well, upon video evidence, my early squats are very deep, my later ones not so much. It really only hurts when I am actually sitting on my calves. But, I had it checked out anyway and it turns out I do have a slightly torn meniscus. It is not enough of a worry to actually schedule a surgery to repair it, but it is there. My doc says it can go either way and as long as it doesn't affect my mobility or get any worse, you can live with it. If it gets worse or actually affects mobility, then get it taken care of.

Just a thought. I'd get the MRI and see what is actually going on. Then make some decisions.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote