Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Diagnoss me please (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9578)

Jen 04-07-2012 11:10 AM

Diagnoss me please

My left knee is painful when I walk. When I work out it is pretty painful the first few squats, but once I'm warm and streched, it is fine. No issues at all.

So, why does it hurt when I walk? The pain is on the inside and on the bottom. Like, it you were looking at it straight on, it would be the southwest corner, so to speak.

The knee also looks swollen compared to the other one. The thing that has me scratching my head is why is it fine when I workout and a PITA when I'm not??

Thoughts?

jmoore87 04-07-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 230813)
My left knee is painful when I walk. When I work out it is pretty painful the first few squats, but once I'm warm and streched, it is fine. No issues at all.

So, why does it hurt when I walk? The pain is on the inside and on the bottom. Like, it you were looking at it straight on, it would be the southwest corner, so to speak.

The knee also looks swollen compared to the other one. The thing that has me scratching my head is why is it fine when I workout and a PITA when I'm not??

Thoughts?

I would go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry!

Jen 04-07-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmoore87 (Post 230816)
I would go get it checked out. Better safe than sorry!

I don't wannaaaaaaaaaaaa........ frick.

BendtheBar 04-07-2012 11:32 AM

I would lay off squats for a few weeks at least. See if it heels. If it is not getting better, doc time. Especially if it's a sharp pain and the swelling remains.

Dull or sharp pain? And on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how bad does it get?

Also, you have been hitting it real hard lately. I would chill on any marathon treadmill sessions for a couple weeks.

Jen 04-07-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 230820)
I would lay off squats for a few weeks at least. See if it heels. If it is not getting better, doc time. Especially if it's a sharp pain and the swelling remains.

Dull or sharp pain? And on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, how bad does it get?

Also, you have been hitting it real hard lately. I would chill on any marathon treadmill sessions for a couple weeks.

Its a dull pain. About a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Enough to be annoying and let me know its there, but it doesn't shut me down. Jamie was saying tendonitis (sp?).

Jeez, I can't even imagine stopping for a few weeks. How about not adding weight and just working on form?

I had bursitis (sp??) in my hip bone a few years back and it feels similar to that. Grrrrrrrrrrr....... I am not a patient person. I was going to take the day off the elliptical and get back on tomorrow, lol

5kgLifter 04-07-2012 12:42 PM

Could be arthritis, could be any number of things. If it's possible to do exercises that don't aggravate it, do them but since it seems like it hurts most of the time, it would be wise to find out what's wrong with it.

I have intermittent aggro from my lower legs, occasionally, where it feels like someone struck the top outside edge of the fibula with a hammer and then its painful to take every step when walking; yesterday it acted up but today it feels fine, if it became the norm, I'd be at the docs asking for a check-up though. Mine is like yours, nothing causes it, it just occurs.

Jen 04-07-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 230836)
Could be arthritis, could be any number of things. If it's possible to do exercises that don't aggravate it, do them but since it seems like it hurts most of the time, it would be wise to find out what's wrong with it.

I have intermittent aggro from my lower legs, occasionally, where it feels like someone struck the top outside edge of the fibula with a hammer and then its painful to take every step when walking; yesterday it acted up but today it feels fine, if it became the norm, I'd be at the docs asking for a check-up though. Mine is like yours, nothing causes it, it just occurs.

My husband is of this school of thought -- if you can exercise on it once your body is warm, then its ok and just something you need to learn to deal with. He told me he's been dealing with tendenitis (I suck at spelling) since he was a teenager -- and he is 42 now. He suggested a wrap/band thing that goes under my knee cap to keep the knee cap from sliding down. I was going to take the wait and see approach. Maybe ice it tonight. Not ruling out getting it looked at, just want to give it a few days.

I like hearing peoples advice and opinions, *especially* experts in the field. I sincerely appreciate the time you guys take to read these and respond!

TitanCT 04-07-2012 08:08 PM

i lift unless i physically cant...thats not to say im smart. i know i shouldnt, but...yeah. i am at least aware of plenty of things wrong with my joints, etc.

you should have it checked out. stop being a baby.

gaspers04 04-07-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanCT (Post 230913)
i lift unless i physically cant...thats not to say im smart. i know i shouldnt, but...yeah. i am at least aware of plenty of things wrong with my joints, etc.
you should have it checked out. stop being a baby.

Dont worry, we would NEVER imply such a thing Titan.....bawhaha! Love ya Buddy!

MikeM 04-07-2012 11:49 PM

Is there anything that started the pain originally? Ever get hit sideways or anything like that? Reason I ask is that the inside of my left knee does the same thing. My 5 year old hit my knee and bent it inward awkwardly, but not horribly so. Anyway, after a couple weeks it was still hurting when I started to squat, but magically disappeared as I got into heavier weights.

Well, upon video evidence, my early squats are very deep, my later ones not so much. It really only hurts when I am actually sitting on my calves. But, I had it checked out anyway and it turns out I do have a slightly torn meniscus. It is not enough of a worry to actually schedule a surgery to repair it, but it is there. My doc says it can go either way and as long as it doesn't affect my mobility or get any worse, you can live with it. If it gets worse or actually affects mobility, then get it taken care of.

Just a thought. I'd get the MRI and see what is actually going on. Then make some decisions.