Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
If I would incorporate the HIIT, it would probably only be for a few short seconds at a time. Right now my resting heart rate is 109 and my hypertension is pretty high as well. My heart is basically equivalent to an old mans at the moment.

That's my point, a few short seconds at your max or near max is all that counts; though, I do understand about the high resting pulse rate...so, it may well be wiser for you to stick with MIT as the highest level for a few weeks.

I heard running is easier adaptive to the body than resistance training, how do you personally feel about this analogy?

Not sure I would agree with that; we lift things all the time, weightlifting aside, so the body is primed to do so anyway. I feel we adapt easily to anything that we are consistent with, once consistency goes out the window adaptation ceases...if we haven't done something for a while, it takes a while for the body to get back into the swing but for something that we have continued with the body has adapted well to and finds it an easy task. The body is great at becoming efficient at what we throw at it; for example, a freediver may increase their time under water but may have the exact same size lungs as they had at a previous shorter time under water, but it's because the body has become efficient at using oxygen through practice sessions...likewise a very young child staggers about and uses no end of energy just for walking until the child becomes efficient at walking which he/she does by continuation of the habit.

Answers in blue, above.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I don't want this to come off as being condescending; this is not BB.com, you are here at M&B. Real lifters, real results. I don't think back slaps, high fives or any type of encouragement are an appropriate response here. You have your head in the clouds, boldly proclaiming in many threads your opinion on subjects you have next to zero experience on. You suggest you'll be Benching 300 again in no time, that you're working toward being 185lbs because you 'used to box' at that weight. You link your qualifications under every post yet you have for the past 4 years lived on nothing but fast food and consider 60kg Squats a decent starting point.
Yes, I would be benching 300 again in no time. You don't need a fancy cutting diet to reach strength coals. That is entirely off-topic to the relative subject.

Where did I ever state that 60kg is a decent starting point for squats? I start with light weight because I leave my ego out the door and focus entirely on form.

I didn't box at 185lbs, I boxed at 155-163lbs.

Please quote a post of mine in which I gave advice on a subject I have "next to zero experience in". FYI, I stayed a lean 8% up until I was around 16 years old, then I decided I'd rather be big and strong than lean and weak.

I don't link my qualifications under every post. That is a signature. It comes with it. I link my qualifications because I am damn proud of them.

Quote:
Encouragement, help, advice, you have had all of these. What you need now and what I have given you is a distinct dose of reality. Knuckle down to your diet and training for longer than, oh I don't know, a few months perhaps. Then you will be in better position to speak from experience and perhaps make some changes. You are no more exempt to this than any beginner who has come to this forum looking for assistance, no qualifications will change that. I could rattle off the names of many lifters here who have come here and who have come to me for advice, they have done the work with a quiet drive and patience and gotten stronger for it.
Awesome.

Quote:
I don't expect this to go down particularly well with you, but I can't stand by and watch these beginner mistakes being played out and discussed in a manner which affirms and accepts what is nothing other than chronic-routine-changing and a plain inability to stick to something which is hard work.
I haven't changed my routine once since starting back to training actually. I'm not sure what "beginner" mistakes you are in reference to but please feel free to let me know what "beginner" mistakes I have made. My strength gains have actually went up pretty significantly in the 3 weeks I have been lifting. Hard work in the gym is something I put forward every time I enter, it's the diet crap I'm breaking up with.

The only thing I have changed SINCE I have started back training is the diet and weight loss thing. I'm primarily looking for a state of conditioning, endurance, and strength. Yes, I did want to be leaner, but considering I have much bigger apples frying right now being laid off with a baby on the way, I figure cutting out a diet is the least of my worries.

Quote:
dude. that is just a long list of excuses...
you either do what you need to, or you dont.

I've seen grandmothers who have given birth to up to 6 children lean enough to compete in figure. I've seen dudes that do nothing but travel and are BEASTS without being fat. the list goes on.

i myself have overcome some ridiculous odds, too. much more than simply changing my lifestyle habits.

The bottom line is this. you are willing to do the work and sacrifice what you know you have to for your health, or you dont. But there arent any shortcuts or loopholes. So stop trying to find one, or make one.
Cutting, being lean, a diet are all entirely goal related. If I switched my goals to get stronger and continuing to be a fat bastard it would suddenly be alright? Hundreds of lifters go without caring about their bodyfat% and continue to make gains and lift weights regularly. Why all of a sudden is it so essential? What would be wrong with just continuing to build strength and endurance, add some cardio in and continue training like that?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-31-2012 at 10:54 AM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'm not going to quote every line of what you have said, it's very easy to tear posts apart if you break them down as you have done above. I have said what you needed to hear, it may not have been what you wanted to hear.

As we would say in the UK; you need to start putting in some graft. That means knuckling down and sticking with both your diet and your training.

The simple fact is that you have come here in this thread looking to justify your own excuses for why you're going to quit your diet efforts. Should you want to quit your diet then go right ahead, but don't come on here looking to justify it in everyone's eyes. We're not idiots in here, and we can see through that.

Again, I wish you nothing but good luck but I have said nothing about you which others have not expressed to me via PMs. Furthermore I would consider the numbers of 'likes' to my previous post as some sort of indicator as to the general consensus of the board on this. I would strongly suggest waking up and taking the advice, rather than living in denial.

Last edited by Fazc; 03-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I'm not going to quote every line of what you have said, it's very easy to tear posts apart if you break them down as you have done above. I have said what you needed to hear, it may not have been what you wanted to hear.

As we would say in the UK; you need to start putting in some graft. That means knuckling down and sticking with both your diet and your training.

The simple fact is that you have come here in this thread looking to justify your own excuses for why you're going to quit your diet efforts. Should you want to quit your diet then go right ahead, but don't come on here looking to justify it in everyone's eyes. We're not idiots in here, and we can see through that.

Again, I wish you nothing but good luck but I have said nothing about you which others have not expressed to me via PMs. Furthermore I would consider the numbers of 'likes' to my previous post as some sort of indicator as to the general consensus of the board on this. I would strongly suggest waking up and taking the advice, rather than living in denial.
I'm happy that you got tons of likes on your post, but like I said, a change of goals is not the end of the world. I've got a lot more going on right now than a diet. My priorities are in line and my weight is near the end of that list at the moment. If that is how you guys feel about my contribution to the board, then adios!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I wouldn't want you to leave, and my posts should not be interpreted as such. Perhaps instead of 'adios' just listen and take it on board. People are trying to help you here. Like I said; it's perhaps not something you want to hear, but it is something you need to hear.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
I wouldn't want you to leave, and my posts should not be interpreted as such. Perhaps instead of 'adios' just listen and take it on board. People are trying to help you here. Like I said; it's perhaps not something you want to hear, but it is something you need to hear.
My goal from the get go has be to be stronger, faster and have more endurance. Yes, there used to be a "leaner" part in there. 5kg said in his opinion, I could drop 20lbs solely by incorporating cardio. I have already dropped 10lbs putting myself in this miserable diet predicament. 220 - 10 = 210lbs. 210 - 20 = 190lbs. Right along the lines of where I said I wanted to be.

I have not given much advice on this forum at all. Mainly because there are some people on here that know more than I do and I instead read instead of post a lot, but the advice I have posted has been nothing more along the lines of why rowing volume should be equal to benching, and how important it is to train a single leg exercise after a double legged. That's basically the only guides of advice I have given here, so I'm not sure where you were going with the whole "giving advice on things I have no experience with".

I wasn't aware that a simple post stating a change of goals was going to draw so much attention that it would actually be getting PM's about it.

Like I said though, I've got much more going on right now than a diet. I'm not going to ramble on about my problems, but my weight is at the bottom of that list. I've been lifting, making gains, even though I'm driving an hour away just to lift. I'm not sure why I'm the exuse-a-saurus just because I'm dropping a diet.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

MVP, we totally understand that you have a bunch of things going on and it is not easy to juggle a number of things at once. But you can lose 15-20 pounds in the next 3-4 months by just making a handful of adjustments. Adding cardio is obviously helpful but it needs to be in concert with a well thought out diet plan.

You should definitely re-evaluate your diet if you don't feel it is working for you but don't completely toss the weight loss goal out the window for the sake of your health if nothing else.

I am no nutritional expert so I won't pretend to know how to go about losing weight so all I can add is my best wishes and hope you achieve what you set out to. The lads here have already given some good advice.

P.S I used to love soft drinks too. Actually find that Pepsi Max is not that bad
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #28
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
MVP, we totally understand that you have a bunch of things going on and it is not easy to juggle a number of things at once. But you can lose 15-20 pounds in the next 3-4 months by just making a handful of adjustments. Adding cardio is obviously helpful but it needs to be in concert with a well thought out diet plan.

You should definitely re-evaluate your diet if you don't feel it is working for you but don't completely toss the weight loss goal out the window for the sake of your health if nothing else.

I am no nutritional expert so I won't pretend to know how to go about losing weight so all I can add is my best wishes and hope you achieve what you set out to. The lads here have already given some good advice.

P.S I used to love soft drinks too. Actually find that Pepsi Max is not that bad
Thanks. Posts like this without the use of pitch forks are helpful as well.

I have made adjustments. I'm not eating nearly as much fast food. I've been lifting again, I've dropped some poundage already, I'm eating lots of veggies and lean meats now. I'm just not into the whole "strictly every 3 hours you eat x amount of this" stuff.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Thanks. Posts like this without the use of pitch forks are helpful as well.

I have made adjustments. I'm not eating nearly as much fast food. I've been lifting again, I've dropped some poundage already, I'm eating lots of veggies and lean meats now. I'm just not into the whole "strictly every 3 hours you eat x amount of this" stuff.
I'd consider Intermittent Fasting if that's the case. Like everything else in the world, it's a matter of personal taste. IF works for some but not for others.
I've been doing it for about 4-5 weeks and have dropped 5-6 pounds. Not earth shattering and I am merely testing it because it is convenient for me. However, I have broken a number of PRs over this short time frame. If I get below 200 (I'm 206 now) and lift 1100 by the end of the year, I can safely say it was a good choice

Sounds like you've made some good adjustments. Dropping 10 pounds is a damn fine start. You've been in the army (think you mentioned this in a few posts) so you know all about discipline. Again, best of luck.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #30
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I'd consider Intermittent Fasting if that's the case. Like everything else in the world, it's a matter of personal taste. IF works for some but not for others.
I've been doing it for about 4-5 weeks and have dropped 5-6 pounds. Not earth shattering and I am merely testing it because it is convenient for me. However, I have broken a number of PRs over this short time frame. If I get below 200 (I'm 206 now) and lift 1100 by the end of the year, I can safely say it was a good choice

Sounds like you've made some good adjustments. Dropping 10 pounds is a damn fine start. You've been in the army (think you mentioned this in a few posts) so you know all about discipline. Again, best of luck.
I'm probably just going to try activity increases and see how much weight I can lose from there. It's summer so it's good to go outside and do some yard work, jogging, hiking, even wading the rivers and swimming for activity. Like I said, I'm laid off, living with my parents, and I have a baby that will be here in about 35 days. My diet is the least of my worries.