Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
is this post real life? wtf?
Which post?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Which post?
OP
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There are a lot of bigger powerlifters who use GPP and stay in pretty darn good shape. They aren't exactly fat, but at 240-290 pounds they are big guys.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Personally, I prefer VIT (not sure if that's a term that's used but it suffices); Variable Intensity Training...basically you warm-up, work at LIT then hit a random section at MIT (Mid-intensity), then back-off a little but only enough to recoup, then hit a HIT section then back-off to MIT or LIt and up and down as you go throughout the duration you've set yourself.

It's never boring because two sessions are never the same because they just can't be; but, the one thing you have to be is honest with yourself, because whilst you're recovering from an all-out HIT section you can't slack off and just breeze the remainder but have to kick your butt back into a higher gear again...so you have to dig deep, mentally as well.

I enjoy it! Much as it is pure hell at times.
I would probably be able to do something like this minus the high intensity part. The other day I jogged up a 120 yard hill twice and thought I was going to die.

Quote:
is this post real life? wtf?
Yes. This post is for real. This has been a debated topic throughout training for years now. Some people believe a person at 20% or higher body fat% will have lower V02 maxes and the extra weight slows them down so that they cannot have good conditioning levels.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
I would probably be able to do something like this minus the high intensity part. The other day I jogged up a 120 yard hill twice and thought I was going to die.

Yes. This post is for real. This has been a debated topic throughout training for years now. Some people believe a person at 20% or higher body fat% will have lower V02 maxes and the extra weight slows them down so that they cannot have good conditioning levels.
you can be somewhat healthy, but carrying the excess weight around WILL catch up to you.

imo, people should stop whining and coming up with excuses to NOT eat well, and just do what you have to do, or enjoy your heart attack and or arthritis and or worse.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Nope, you can do the high intensity section as well; you have to remember that your high intensity sections will increase in their intensity as you continue to do them.

What feels like all-out today, may feel like MIT in a few weeks time but it's your personal HIT level. HIT is relative to each person and their fitness at that point in time; it may be that you only hit all-out or HIT for a few seconds, initially, which is fine. It's progressive and grows with you.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Nope, you can do the high intensity section as well; you have to remember that your high intensity sections will increase in their intensity as you continue to do them.
If I would incorporate the HIIT, it would probably only be for a few short seconds at a time. Right now my resting heart rate is 109 and my hypertension is pretty high as well. My heart is basically equivalent to an old mans at the moment.

Quote:
What feels like all-out today, may feel like MIT in a few weeks time but it's your personal HIT level. HIT is relative to each person and their fitness at that point in time; it may be that you only hit all-out or HIT for a few seconds, initially, which is fine. It's progressive and grows with you.
I heard running is easier adaptive to the body than resistance training, how do you personally feel about this analogy?

Quote:
imo, people should stop whining and coming up with excuses to NOT eat well, and just do what you have to do, or enjoy your heart attack and or arthritis and or worse.
^ That is much easier said than done. To some people, unhealthy eating has became a lifestyle rather than a light switch. People that work out of town or that went to college around a bunch of fast food places, worked in fast food places, or is always out of town due to their work or travel for whatever reason.

For this people, this has became a lifestyle, and it's much harder to change a lifestyle with just some motivating words. I do generally eat healthy nowadays, but it's mainly the lack of soft drinks tends to throw me away. It's kind of hard going to the grocery store constantly when you're under a busy schedule as well.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-31-2012 at 10:26 AM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn

Quote:
^ That is much easier said than done. To some people, unhealthy eating has became a lifestyle rather than a light switch. People that work out of town or that went to college around a bunch of fast food places, worked in fast food places, or is always out of town due to their work or travel for whatever reason.

For this people, this has became a lifestyle, and it's much harder to change a lifestyle with just some motivating words. I do generally eat healthy nowadays, but it's mainly the lack of soft drinks tends to throw me away. It's kind of hard going to the grocery store constantly when you're under a busy schedule as well.
dude. that is just a long list of excuses...
you either do what you need to, or you dont.

I've seen grandmothers who have given birth to up to 6 children lean enough to compete in figure. I've seen dudes that do nothing but travel and are BEASTS without being fat. the list goes on.

i myself have overcome some ridiculous odds, too. much more than simply changing my lifestyle habits.

The bottom line is this. you are willing to do the work and sacrifice what you know you have to for your health, or you dont. But there arent any shortcuts or loopholes. So stop trying to find one, or make one.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I can't help but think this entire thread is merely looking for an excuse to divert from the diet plan and goals you laid out recently.

I don't want this to come off as being condescending; this is not BB.com, you are here at M&B. Real lifters, real results. I don't think back slaps, high fives or any type of encouragement are an appropriate response here. You have your head in the clouds, boldly proclaiming in many threads your opinion on subjects you have next to zero experience on. You suggest you'll be Benching 300 again in no time, that you're working toward being 185lbs because you 'used to box' at that weight. You link your qualifications under every post yet you have for the past 4 years lived on nothing but fast food and consider 60kg Squats a decent starting point.

Encouragement, help, advice, you have had all of these. What you need now and what I have given you is a distinct dose of reality. Knuckle down to your diet and training for longer than, oh I don't know, a few months perhaps. Then you will be in better position to speak from experience and perhaps make some changes. You are no more exempt to this than any beginner who has come to this forum looking for assistance, no qualifications will change that. I could rattle off the names of many lifters here who have come here and who have come to me for advice, they have done the work with a quiet drive and patience and gotten stronger for it.

I don't expect this to go down particularly well with you, but I can't stand by and watch these beginner mistakes being played out and discussed in a manner which affirms and accepts what is nothing other than chronic-routine-changing and a plain inability to stick to something which is hard work.

So I'll finish with a cliche: Shut up and lift.

Good luck.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

So, I don't have fancy letters after my name or compete in professional strength sports yet, but diet it one place that fat people can listen to me on. Especially if they are going low carb. So listen up. And actually, I do have some pretty cool letters after my name, but its in a different area. OCA, OCP, soon to be OCM

Step 1. Make the commitment. This was my first step to dropping 145 pounds in 13 months
Step 2. Plan your meals out at least 1 week in advance. Do all your shopping on one day. You don't do anything else involving buying food. This helps reduce the tempation.
Step 3. Remind yourself of the commitment. Its tough. I know.
Step 4. Don't reward yourself with food. I still break this, but it starts the cravings again.

Throw out all the food in your house that doesn't mesh with your diet. Don't buy it again. Work the diet as if your life depended on it. Mine did, so it made it a little easier, but the same principles apply to you. Check out Brute Eats thread for menu ideas if you get stuck. There are no excuses to fix shitty food. Eat well, eat healthy, enjoy life.