Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #51
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post

PS: 5kg is a she No worries though.
I think the fact that you can lift more than many of the boys confused him.

OBX Open August, 2014:
Squat 308 PR
Bench 176
Deadlift 402 PR
Total - 886 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #52
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Edit: Come to think about it, the whole time I've been talking about increasing activity, I guess when someone increases activity they also tend to eat less. You guys got me here. :P

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #53
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Edit: Come to think about it, the whole time I've been talking about increasing activity, I guess when someone increases activity they also tend to eat less. You guys got me here. :P
No, that really is not what people are saying at all. With more activity you might eat less or you might eat more, but the underpinning theme is that you need to make a concentrated effort to eat less. As has been said in this thread "you can't out train a bad diet".

You are still just looking for people to agree with you, you're refusing to listen to answers to a question which you asked. With the sheer number of people in this thread telling you basically the same thing, one would think you might start to listen.

So as per my previous posts, if you want to quit your diet go right ahead. But don't come on here looking for affirmation for your excuses or trying to convince yourself that a little cardio will out-train a poor diet. I don't want that kind of misinformation passed on a forum that I like.

The post below by Btb sums it up, but basically everyone else has said much of the same as well. Might be time to get the fingers out of the ears and listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes. Exercise isn't needed.

I've done it several times. I got to 245 while selling cars and lost 60 pounds in 4 months without even thinking about exercise. In 2007 I lost 60 pounds in 3 months doing jack squat. I just counted calories and ate mostly healthy foods.

You don't need to expend energy. You just eat less. You could lay in bed all day long only eating 2000 calories of Ding Dongs and you'd lose weight.

Counting calories/calorie management is the key. Everything is just icing.

At least 10 times a month I get asked (job related) "why can't I lose weight? I'm exercising X hours a week!"

Eat less.

Running 2 miles doesn't even burn off a candy bar.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #54
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
No, that really is not what people are saying at all. With more activity you might eat less or you might eat more, but the underpinning theme is that you need to make a concentrated effort to eat less. As has been said in this thread "you can't out train a bad diet".

You are still just looking for people to agree with you, you're refusing to listen to answers to a question which you asked. With the sheer number of people in this thread telling you basically the same thing, one would think you might start to listen.

So as per my previous posts, if you want to quit your diet go right ahead. But don't come on here looking for affirmation for your excuses or trying to convince yourself that a little cardio will out-train a poor diet. I don't want that kind of misinformation passed on a forum that I like.

The post below by Btb sums it up, but basically everyone else has said much of the same as well. Might be time to get the fingers out of the ears and listen.
I think you are taking this thread way too serious. I could care less who agrees with me or my reasons for anything. Nobody said cardio will out train a poor diet. I said I am going to do cardio to increase my conditioning. Did you not even read the title of the thread? It's about conditioning to me, not fat loss. Nobody is posting misinformation about anything. Yes, increasing activity does cause a few pounds lose if the person was previously sedentary.

If activity increases, so does the demand for calories. If a person increases their activity, without increasing their calories, then they will lose weight. That is what I have been saying. Is that so hard to understand? I have heard every last little word you've wrote on here. You haven't listened to a darn thing I've posted. You've heard what you wanted to hear. I said if I can lose a couple pounds by increasing activity and have good conditioning levels, I'd rather do that than strive to look like an abercrombie model.

Anyway I am done with this thread. Like I said, I don't need anyones approval for a goal change. You apparently have had some sort of problem with me since my arrival since you awkwardly remember me posting my certs in my opening post. You found your chance to throw a jab at me and accuse me of being a "fraud" and you have brilliantly done so and made up a few things on your way of doing so. Like I said, if your goals are to get cut, bulk, whatever, then good luck with them. But heaven forbid you decide that life is getting in the way of your goals at the moment and you might need to delay a new lifestyle.

If I didn't know any better, I'd assume I broke some law and was being sentenced to some type of time behind bars.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 04-01-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #55
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

To be challenged on your views is actually a very positive thing, it is how we learn. Had you accepted the answers to your questions with some degree of thoughtfulness and humility it would not have come to you feeling uncomfortable. You were challenged on your views by the majority of people in this thread and you argued with each of them, you should not interpret that as people having a grudge against you. Instead take that as a point of learning.

When you ask questions in the future, and people spend their time answering questions to help you... be prepared to listen to the answers.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #56
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
To be challenged on your views is actually a very positive thing, it is how we learn. Had you accepted the answers to your questions with some degree of thoughtfulness and humility it would not have come to you feeling uncomfortable. You were challenged on your views by the majority of people in this thread and you argued with each of them, you should not interpret that as people having a grudge against you. Instead take that as a point of learning.
My response was not entirely about the thread....

You quoted my "I'll be benching 300 before long" as if that was some type of negative activity displayed...

You also quoted the fact that my certs are on my signature.

You then quoted my introduction where my certs were announced in my introduction thread....

You also said I believe a 60kg squat is impressive, just because that is my starting point. I don't believe 60kg is impressive.

You said I give advice on things I'm inexperienced with.... the only advice I have given on here is basic physiology stuff.

I even stated in my thread it's an embarrassing weight, but I am focusing on hip drive and form at the moment and adding weight progressively.

Your comments were welcomed, it's not what you said; it is how you said it.

BTB contributed to the thread, his response was opposite of my beliefs, but he did so respectively.

5kg contributed to the thread, her response similar to mine, but she also did so respectively.

Off Road contributed to the thread and argued with my post, his response was respectful.

The guy with the black star wars figure contributed and listed a source he believed would be helpful, and he was respectful.

You contributed as if I ran over your dog.

I have had probably close to 1,000 internet forum challenged discussions and went as far as 10-12 pages on a few of them. Not once did they get out of hand. I have no problem arguing with someone, but when I'm attacked for the starting weight of my squat, having my certs in my signature, and stating my goal to be benching 300 that isn't entirely about the debate.

You stated your opinion, I should keep cutting. Your points were valid and understood by me. I probably will end up sucking it up and continuing this stomach sickening diet since it does appear to be working. This morning I am down to 207lbs, 13lbs lighter than I was before.

Last edited by MVP; 04-01-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #57
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
People that are sick usually lose muscle mass first due to the catabolism they bring in by not eating calories.

You would have to be in starvation mode to eat fewer calories than you expand by just sitting on the couch.
This isn't true. One may ask many persons what starvation mode actually is, and one just may get differing opinions on this subject matter. Because simply put, it isn't just about the body slowing the metabolism, or turning on and off caloric expensive bodily functions, or reducing hormones here and there: Its actually a rather complicated process, and one in which they have made many strides on, but are still trying to figure out.

Here's the bottom line and its just common sense no degree or certifications required: The body burns calories 24 hours a day--no matter what one does each day. How many calories are expended/burned depends...on a variety of personal factors: Genetic disposition, metabolism variables, dietary trend history prior to deficit dieting, age, sex, weight, and activity, are some examples.

Each person has to be considered individually before you make a broad statement like that (the one I have highlighted).

Let's assume person A is a 250lb male 6 foot 2 inches, age 25. With this example, lets assume person A gained about 30lbs the passed few months, has not exercised during this weight gain, and now wants to lose some tissue. This example person hates exercising, and the goal is simply to drop weight. What is obvious, is that this exampled person was eating more than his body needed these passed few months, which brought on the weight gain. In this example, the diet during his weight gain consisted of mostly everything (or didn't restrict macros or what not).

Before starting on this diet then we know this: His glycogen is full (his sugar storage in the liver, muscle, etc, are near genetic capacity). His body is USED TO an abundance of calories for the passed few months. He is not exercising so this sugar storage isn't going to take a hard hit, unless the diet this person sets up, restricts carbohydrates. Its safe to assume his hormonal levels are good as compared to opposite reactionary hormones in response to dietary stresses. He plans to work 8 hours a day. His work is working at the computer for that 8 hours. This isn't much more expenditure than sitting on a couch all day.

He starts by restricting calories -500 below MT-Line, and adding normal (as possible) macro levels. Say carbohydrates are about 160ish or so.

Under this scenario--only, the bodily response is going to be somewhat strong for a good length of time---just to the reaction of the calorie reduction, with no exercise what so ever, and glucose storage take a minimal hit. Sometimes glucose storage levels (assuming high) and carbohydrate consumption can--assist in staving off muscle loss--personally dependent--in the short....term. How long, this just depends.

As you can see, we can not blanket statements.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #58
Fazc
Max Brawn

Excuse-a-saurus,

Quote:
Anyway I am done with this thread.
Not done yet I see

I think we're getting off-topic somewhat, and you're wanting to turn this into a personal vendetta. The reason I brought up your goals is to remind you of the lofty goals you have set yourself no more than a month ago. Yet we're a few weeks in and you've quit already and are coming on here looking for affirmation that it's ok to do so.

When challenged on that you refuse to listen to any opposing views. Either arguing back or ignoring them. You are living in denial, which is precisely why I gave you that reality check. You 'have no time' for eating clean, yet want to put more time into cardio? You have a child on the way, yet are living on fast food and have issues with blood pressure. Wake up?

Your qualifications do not exempt you from the basics. Every single person on this board puts their time into their goals with consistent determination, you are no different and quitting after a few weeks then coming on here looking to affirm that is not going to get you the high five's you're looking for.

As I've said in previous posts, if you want to quit your previous plans then by all means do so but don't come on here looking for affirmation as I will not allow that to pass. Also if you are going to ask questions in the future, be prepared to listen to the answers with an open mind.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #59
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
You would have to be in starvation mode to eat fewer calories than you expand by just sitting on the couch.
No, not true.

My maintenance level is about 2300-2400 right now. I sit all day for work, literally. I can drop to 2000, which is far from starvation mode, and lose weight.

Your maintenance level is probably around 2800-3000 or higher. You could probably eat around 2300 to 2400 cals per day doing no exercise and lose 15 pounds the first month.

I have complete confidence you could lose 10 pounds per month eating 2200 calories or so per day doing absolutely nothing. This is far from starvation mode. This is what all bodybuilders do leading up to a show. It's standard operating procedure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #60
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Yes.

What's your next question?
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote