Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
The industry would like you to believe that all you have to do is increase your activity to lose weight. Truth is that there are tons of fat people out there riding exercise bikes and jogging miles. Just look at all the heavy powerlifters that train their conditioning on a regular basis. The truth is that your diet will determine your weight loss, period. .
A diet will have something to do with your weight loss, yes. My point is your body stores fat when you consume more calories than you expand. If you expand more calories, then you will burn more energy. A lot of people simply pick up activity and lose weight from the metabolism increase alone.

Quote:
A diet alone can cause you to lose weight with no increase in exercise
So you believe a person that just sits around on the couch all day will lose weight with a diet alone? How would that person expand even enough energy to even lose weight?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
So you believe a person that just sits around on the couch all day will lose weight with a diet alone? How would that person expand even enough energy to even lose weight?
People in prison camps don't stay the same weight. People who are sick don't stay the same weight. My wife, some friends, and many co-workers go on Weight Watchers with no increase in activity and lose weight. Nobody said anything about having to sit on the couch all day, but yes you could sit on the couch and lose weight if you were taking in less calories than your body functions were using up.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #43
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
People in prison camps don't stay the same weight. People who are sick don't stay the same weight. My wife, some friends, and many co-workers go on Weight Watchers with no increase in activity and lose weight. Nobody said anything about having to sit on the couch all day, but yes you could sit on the couch and lose weight if you were taking in less calories than your body functions were using up.
People that are sick usually lose muscle mass first due to the catabolism they bring in by not eating calories.

You would have to be in starvation mode to eat fewer calories than you expand by just sitting on the couch.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #44
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Totally agree. I'm of the opinion (erroneously perhaps) that exercise should be used to for health and fitness purposes first, fat loss second as an added bonus.

We all burn a certain amount of calories per day even when sedentary. There are various calculators online that show how many calories you burn based on your activity level, weight etc. but a better idea is to do an experiment for a week if possible where you record your calories and find out what your current daily caloric expenditure is. I did it and found that the calculators were out by around 200-300 calories a day.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

OR has a great point. Start with the baby steps. For instance; Go the next two weeks without ANY car stops. This would include fast food or convenience stores. If it is your parent's house, you can eat or drink it, if it is not, you don't touch it. After two weeks, set a new goal, maybe to cut grain products down to just one meal a day. How and what you eat is ALL about how you live. It is a discipline issue. If you do not have the discipline to accomplish the baby step above, you won't have the discipline to handle many other obstacles in life. I am as "outside the box" as anyone when it comes to what you can or can't eat, but whether you eat low carb or high carb, low fat or high fat, there is still the element of discipline needed to achieve your goal. Sounds harsh, but I tell my Fit for the King folks, "it is a lot easier to deal with your nutrition than it is to deal with your death." Think of it like your vacation. Determine what you want, then how you will get there, then what it will take to get it done, finally do it.

From what I am hearing you say, I would encourage you to read some of Dr. Berardi's Precision Nutrition stuff. He is big on taking the baby steps in the process of losing fat.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #46
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
People in prison camps don't stay the same weight.
I was a prison guard for over a year at a Level 4 security institution. Let me say federal prisons have access to pools and two hours of recreation every day. Mostly all the inmates do are play basketball, lift weights and run track. They also have jobs inside the prison that require them to constantly walk up and down stairs. Inmates are pretty much constantly moving. You'd be surprised.

Quote:
OR has a great point. Start with the baby steps. For instance; Go the next two weeks without ANY car stops. This would include fast food or convenience stores. If it is your parent's house, you can eat or drink it, if it is not, you don't touch it. After two weeks, set a new goal, maybe to cut grain products down to just one meal a day. How and what you eat is ALL about how you live. It is a discipline issue. If you do not have the discipline to accomplish the baby step above, you won't have the discipline to handle many other obstacles in life. I am as "outside the box" as anyone when it comes to what you can or can't eat, but whether you eat low carb or high carb, low fat or high fat, there is still the element of discipline needed to achieve your goal. Sounds harsh, but I tell my Fit for the King folks, "it is a lot easier to deal with your nutrition than it is to deal with your death." Think of it like your vacation. Determine what you want, then how you will get there, then what it will take to get it done, finally do it.

From what I am hearing you say, I would encourage you to read some of Dr. Berardi's Precision Nutrition stuff. He is big on taking the baby steps in the process of losing fat.
Thanks. I'll look up the author you referred to and do some research.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #47
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
People that are sick usually lose muscle mass first due to the catabolism they bring in by not eating calories.

You would have to be in starvation mode to eat fewer calories than you expand by just sitting on the couch.
Quote:
I was a prison guard for over a year at a Level 4 security institution. Let me say federal prisons have access to pools and two hours of recreation every day. Mostly all the inmates do are play basketball, lift weights and run track. They also have jobs inside the prison that require them to constantly walk up and down stairs. Inmates are pretty much constantly moving. You'd be surprised.
I think Off Road was referring to POW camps not the prison system that you're thinking of.

I agree about the catabolism of lean tissue in relation to the sick but it's brought about two-fold, due to the restricted diet and the lack of movement/exercise necessitated by some illnesses.

PS: 5kg is a she No worries though.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I think Off Road was referring to POW camps not the prison system that you're thinking of.
Oh, OK. I'm not sure about the POW camps though.

Quote:
PS: 5kg is a she No worries though.
My bad! Sorry, ma'am!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #49
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:

145 pounds. 13 months. I took a couple of walks, but that was it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #50
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Yes. Exercise isn't needed.

I've done it several times. I got to 245 while selling cars and lost 60 pounds in 4 months without even thinking about exercise. In 2007 I lost 60 pounds in 3 months doing jack squat. I just counted calories and ate mostly healthy foods.

You don't need to expend energy. You just eat less. You could lay in bed all day long only eating 2000 calories of Ding Dongs and you'd lose weight.

Counting calories/calorie management is the key. Everything is just icing.

At least 10 times a month I get asked (job related) "why can't I lose weight? I'm exercising X hours a week!"

Eat less.

Running 2 miles doesn't even burn off a candy bar.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-31-2012 at 07:12 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote