Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I am no nutritional expert so I won't pretend to know how to go about losing weight so all I can add is my best wishes and hope you achieve what you set out to. The lads here have already given some good advice.
Excuse-a-saurus!

You are saying you have less time and higher priorities than sorting out your diet, but than you're suggesting you want to put in more time doing cardio? This represents a massive contradiction and really underpins what I've been saying all along. These are excuses. If you want to come off your diet then fine. Do it. But don't come on here trying to publicly justify it to everyone as it's part of a 'new plan'.

Coming off the diet for the various reasons you listed are excuses, it would be easier and cheaper to pre-cook your meals and eat clean. Rather, you have the added time of having to queue for crappy fast food, spend more money on it and spend more time in the gym. How is that going to play out? Wouldn't that time and money be better spent on your incoming child, and wouldn't cleaner eating habits and regular sit-down meals with family be infinitely more helpful in setting a good example to your child.

At least you're starting to listen to someone.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Excuse-a-saurus!
No I am not

Quote:
it would be easier and cheaper to pre-cook your meals and eat clean. Rather, you have the added time of having to queue for crappy fast food, spend more money on it and spend more time in the gym. How is that going to play out? Wouldn't that time and money be better spent on your incoming child, and wouldn't cleaner eating habits and regular sit-down meals with family be infinitely more helpful in setting a good example to your child.

At least you're starting to listen to someone.
This is so true.

I tell you, an omlette with 4 large eggs (more if you want ), a 135g tin of tuna and a little bit of cheese (optional) added to say 100-150g of chicken is around 800-850 calories, over 100g of protein (according to the products I use) and is bloody filling! I have NO desire to eat any junk after that It is a cracking first meal of the day.

Sorry for going completely off topic!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #33
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
No I am not
Lol, I'm gonna use that!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
You are saying you have less time and higher priorities than sorting out your diet, but than you're suggesting you want to put in more time doing cardio? This represents a massive contradiction and really underpins what I've been saying all along. These are excuses. If you want to come off your diet then fine. Do it. But don't come on here trying to publicly justify it to everyone as it's part of a 'new plan'.
I don't need anyone's permission to do anything. I am not looking for anyone to agree with me. I asked a simple question "do you feel a fat bastard can have good conditioning?" What I am saying is, a 10 minute jog in the morning does not take the time out of the day to prepare 6 perfectly balanced meals and drinking nothing but water all day long.

"Hey lawn mower, I have to go, it's been 2 hours and 59 minutes since my last meal and I have to go in and eat another one, even though I've been out in the sun and it's going to make me sick".

"Hey boss, this dude facz on the internet said my diet is very important. I have to go eat a meal every 3 hours containing no carbs because if I don't stick with it, I'll be the excuse-a-saurus on the internet!"

"Hey workout partner, I eat 17 minutes and 41 seconds before I came up here to workout with you. It took me 50 minutes to get here. That means as soon as the workout is over, I have to eat approximately 19 pieces of peanuts, 8oz of chicken, and a salad with ranch".

That's freaking miserable. If I can get a little conditioning and be strong and just a little overweight, it would be better than the price I have to pay eating the same old thing every single day of my life. When someone is cooking eggs, it makes me sick at my stomach to look at them. I've been eating six eggs everyday. Scrambled got old, then fried got old, and I can't even begin to chew a boiled egg...let alone 6!

You stereotype my situation into being the excuse-a-saurus in captivity! I could use your bench press as a favorite exercise to stereotype you into broscience . It wouldn't be fair though, maybe you just like benching!

Quote:
Coming off the diet for the various reasons you listed are excuses, it would be easier and cheaper to pre-cook your meals and eat clean. Rather, you have the added time of having to queue for crappy fast food, spend more money on it and spend more time in the gym. How is that going to play out? Wouldn't that time and money be better spent on your incoming child, and wouldn't cleaner eating habits and regular sit-down meals with family be infinitely more helpful in setting a good example to your child.
I just mentioned 2 posts ago I haven't eaten fast food in a while. We were out a couple days ago getting the baby's crib and stuff ready and I ate Olive Garden, but that's about it. I haven't went out of the way to eat fast food in a long time.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-31-2012 at 11:46 AM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #35
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

MVP...You started lifting within yourself and adding weight slowly. Why should your diet be any different. In my opinion, going from eating fast food and sodas then jumping right into a low carb IF protocol just screams failure. It would be like trying to squat 500 lbs your first time lifting, just aint going to happen. Start slow and make a few good changes and stick with it until it's a habit. When you have that down then you can make a few more changes. Baby steps, and every step will get you closer to your goal.

Oh, and conditioning is a crappy way to lose weight. You can't out-train a horrible diet.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #36
Fazc
Max Brawn

Excuse-a-saurus,

I think perhaps we have found at least some of the problem, you seem to relate a clean diet to drinking nothing but water and eating every 3 hours. This is no surprise, seeing as you have lived off nothing but fast food for the last 4 years it is no wonder your view of what is a 'clean diet' is somewhat skewed. Kuyt provided you with some diet options, I would also strongly suggest you do some more reading on what a sustainable diet consists of.

The key word here is sustainable, what you have been doing obviously isn't sustainable as you're wanting to quit so soon. I would suggest reading and talking to some people about diet, perhaps make a new thread and consider what options are going to be sustainable for you. I couldn't sustain 6 meals a day or nothing but water either, it would drive most people insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Scrambled got old, then fried got old, and I can't even begin to chew a boiled egg...let alone 6!
We have 'meal' threads here on M&B where you can look for ideas, again think sustainability. I think what you're experiencing is the realisation that the typical bodybuilder diet is a lie and for sustainability in the long-term especially if you are coming into a time where you will have increased responsibilities requires eating patterns which are more sustainable.

Quote:
"Hey lawn mower, I have to go, it's been 2 hours and 59 minutes since my last meal and I have to go in and eat another one, even though I've been out in the sun and it's going to make me sick".
Although despite our exchange today... I would suggest that if you're actually talking to your lawn mower, diet is perhaps the least of your concerns
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
MVP...You started lifting within yourself and adding weight slowly. Why should your diet be any different. In my opinion, going from eating fast food and sodas then jumping right into a low carb IF protocol just screams failure. It would be like trying to squat 500 lbs your first time lifting, just aint going to happen. Start slow and make a few good changes and stick with it until it's a habit. When you have that down then you can make a few more changes. Baby steps, and every step will get you closer to your goal.
That might be what I'm saying in a way. I took a big massive step into dieting, but I did it as realistic as I could get.

Quote:
Oh, and conditioning is a crappy way to lose weight. You can't out-train a horrible diet.
Your diet has more than just the function of weight loss or weight gain. Calories in vs. calories out will determine weight loss. Increasing activity is a way you can lose weight. That's moreso what's wrong with half the people that can't lose weight on diets. They diet right, but don't have the activity to back it up.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #38
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Excuse-a-saurus,

I think perhaps we have found at least some of the problem, you seem to relate a clean diet to drinking nothing but water and eating every 3 hours. This is no surprise, seeing as you have lived off nothing but fast food for the last 4 years it is no wonder your view of what is a 'clean diet' is somewhat skewed. Kuyt provided you with some diet options, I would also strongly suggest you do some more reading on what a sustainable diet consists of.
Now we are somewhat on the same page.

Quote:
The key word here is sustainable, what you have been doing obviously isn't sustainable as you're wanting to quit so soon. I would suggest reading and talking to some people about diet, perhaps make a new thread and consider what options are going to be sustainable for you. I couldn't sustain 6 meals a day or nothing but water either, it would drive most people insane.
Anything other than water would contain carbs, and my diet was supposed to be low carbs.

Carbs convert to glucose when entering the body, glucose is then stored as glycogen. Glycogen is a polar molecule, meaning it holds excessive water. If I'm not mistaken, 4g of water for every 1g of protein. Carbs also result in the release of serotoning, a neurotransmitter that increases sedation, relaxation, and laziness.

^ This brings the thought that if you cut carbs, you will lose the "bloated" water weight feeling, but my diet I did not lose a bloated feeling until after I would wake up in the mornings. It was like during the day I was still just as bloated, all except only the liquids was the appetite suppressant.

Quote:
We have 'meal' threads here on M&B where you can look for ideas, again think sustainability. I think what you're experiencing is the realisation that the typical bodybuilder diet is a lie and for sustainability in the long-term especially if you are coming into a time where you will have increased responsibilities requires eating patterns which are more sustainable.
The goal with my diet was realistic. I have to eat what is available in my moms house for now (this is an embarrassing statement). I am supposed to be going back to work in the next month, so then I would be able to choose my own groceries and be a little more strict since I'll be back at my house.

Yes, the every 3 hours and nothing but water thing is most difficult part of this diet. I love a tall glass of coca cola in ice with my meals. I could eat clean all day everyday, but dropping the soft drinks is the killer.

Quote:
Although despite our exchange today... I would suggest that if you're actually talking to your lawn mower, diet is perhaps the least of your concerns
I knew I'd get a jab for that. It was a thought of during the day, there's a lot to do other than time meals.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

The industry would like you to believe that all you have to do is increase your activity to lose weight. Truth is that there are tons of fat people out there riding exercise bikes and jogging miles. Just look at all the heavy powerlifters that train their conditioning on a regular basis. The truth is that your diet will determine your weight loss, period. A diet alone can cause you to lose weight with no increase in exercise.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #40
Fazc
Max Brawn

Excuse-a-saursus,

We've always been on the same page, you're just now listening I might have sounded like a **** to you at the start, but you really did need to rethink the way you were approaching this and at least now we're actually 'talking'. Let's try and keep it that way.

I rarely ingest calories from drinks apart from milk, but I drink a lot of green tea. The bloat you experience was not a result of any explanation of carbs that you may have read, it was quite simply the fact that you eat too much and too much crap.

Now, now wait a minute. Don't start getting argumentative again, we're just getting somewhere But it's true, your bloated feeling will be cured by actually under-eating with clean food for a couple weeks. Just cut the crap out, both literally and figuratively.

You really don't need any massive change initially, but you do need to start cutting calories and part of that will involve eating cleaner. This is of course a progressive process, but the end-goal must not change. Dropping the diet and staying fat just is not going to give you what you want, and you will have much more to be healthy for in about 35 days.