Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
titus_teen
Brawn
Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14 Points: 739, Level: 14
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

titus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good starttitus_teen is off to a good start
Default Cardio

Does it matter if I do cardio on an empty stomach or not? I have heard you need to eat before hand but then a pal told me only do not eat if you are trying to lose weight.
titus_teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Personal preference. It's thought that cardio on an empty stomach, or fasted cardio will force the body to burn fat for energy, as your stores of glycogen would be depleted due to the fasting. To me that makes some sense.

Some days I do fasted cardio, others I may eat something 2-3 hours prior. I need at least 60-90 minutes pre-cardio to let anything I did eat start to digest, else it comes back up or I get tummy cramps.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
Personal preference.
I totaly agree.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I've heard that intense cardio training on an empty stomach will rapidly deplete glycogen stores, which will cause the body to burn more muscle than fat. It can utilize the muscle faster than fat. You will lose more weight that way, but more muscle than fat. I don't remember where I read this, but it makes sense.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus_teen View Post
Does it matter if I do cardio on an empty stomach or not? I have heard you need to eat before hand but then a pal told me only do not eat if you are trying to lose weight.
Gentle cardio (LIT) on an empty stomach is fine; intense cardio (HIIT) on an empty stomach can leave you recovering for hours in addition to affecting the amount of intensity you can apply to the session due to not having the energy reserves for the higher intensity.

The study that was done on fasted cardio, in the mornings, was done on very overweight and out of shape people that had a lot of bodyfat to lose which doesn't mean it equates well to those that do not fall in to that particular category...that's something to bear in mind.

If I'm doing an intense session, I eat; it doesn't affect weight loss negatively, the overall calories versus the overall energy output of the body, over the course of the week, is what affects weight loss one way or the other.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by titus_teen View Post
If you do anaerobic cardio on an empty stomach, you're just going to burn off muscle.

Anaerobic glycosis means you can only burn glucose/glycogen to create ATP. This means if your body doesn't have readily available glucose, it'll just break down muscle tissue.

I'd make sure to get a meal in before running.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
thomasjack
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

thomasjack is off to a bad start

Before start cardio work out you need to eat some thing, empty stomach work out is not better for healthy. Drink glass of juice for getting energy which better for work out. During work out also eat some fruits like 2 to 3 slice of orange, apple, banana. And after work out eat healthy foods for attain calories.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
intense cardio (HIIT) on an empty stomach can leave you recovering for hours in addition to affecting the amount of intensity you can apply to the session due to not having the energy reserves for the higher intensity.
I believe this helped cause me to crash a few weeks ago. Intense fasted cardio, combined with a restricted contest prep diet, not enough rest, etc.

Also begin to affect my training as i was not able to recover as fast as i needed to.

As others said, personal preference, just be careful.

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
TitanCT
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

no need to kill yourself with cardio.
i pretty much just walk on a treadmill. i've done more, but walking is more than fine. Let your nutrition do the hard work. and i always do my cardio first thing in the morning, fasted, or post workout which is pretty much the same as fasted.
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Brutorious
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Clean and jerk
Fav Supp: Food
Brutorious is off to a good startBrutorious is off to a good startBrutorious is off to a good start

Personally I have never had any problem with fasted cardio, though I don't do it often. I tend to run later in the day after the weight training. I would recommend taking some BCAA's or half a protein shake before your cardio if you do prefer fasted cardio, for reasons MVP mentioned above, to just preserve muscle.

I agree if your simply looking to lose bodyfat, let your diet do most of the work. Though the added cardio will let you be a little more loose with it. To me, my body responds better when I add in cardio and I'm also allowing myself to be in better cardiovascular shape along with building strength/muscle.

I follow two general rules: Never ever do any serious cardio before weights and if your doing any sort of sprinting/HIIT/Sports, dont do that on an empty stomach.
Brutorious is offline   Reply With Quote