Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thoughts on overtraining (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9424)

SeventySeven 03-22-2012 12:14 PM

Thoughts on overtraining

Discuss.

bamazav 03-22-2012 12:15 PM

An overused excuse.

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 226536)
An overused excuse.

Sums it up.

JacktheThriller 03-22-2012 12:19 PM

overtraining = undereating

BendtheBar 03-22-2012 12:22 PM

Let's talk overreaching instead of overtraining. Overreaching - not necessary to push it to that level for 99% of recreational lifters because their goals do not require it. Therefore, a very misguided fear and an overused term.

In the "bro sense", as overtraining is presented on forums 99% of the time, it goes like this:

Quote:

Dude, 15 sets for chest is overtraining.
Is it overtraining? Probably not. Does this mean "bros" should still do it? Probably not.

Training volume and intensity has to be based on a lifter's current goals, progress history, etc. There are things advanced bodybuilders and powerlifters do that would be considered overtraining by most. Just because it's not overtraining for an advanced lifter doesn't mean it's a tool that is required for the other 99% of the lifting pool.

Most newbs do way too much extra work that isn't needed. Overtraining? No. Wasted time and energy? Yes.

ricka182 03-22-2012 12:28 PM

I disagree partially with the above opinions.

To me overtraining is very easy, especially for those who are overly-motivated to lift and get stronger. Like the newbs that lift chest 5 days a week, and wonder why the muscle isn't growing. Lifting causes damage, we all know that. It's the repairs that make the muscle bigger and stronger. Too much damage though, and the muscle doesn't get a chance to ever recover.

I don't think saying it's the same as undereating is a good thought, mainly because if someone hears that, takes it the wrong way, then they start eating the wrong food, just to keep eating for calories.

Kuytrider 03-22-2012 12:29 PM

It exists for sure but not at the level people think and it is certainly nowhere near the boogeyman that McRobert* and Mentzer suggest it is. It seems as if you would have to push to the limit of your abilities for a reasonably long time to achieve it and frankly, few people have the mentality to do that.

As Steve and Fazc consistently point out (and Steve on the post above), overreaching is more common and is something that can be alleviated by common sense programming.

*Incidentally, I recently read that McRobert thinks a 300 bench, 400 squat and 500 dead is almost the maximum limit for a 'hardgainer'.

JacktheThriller 03-22-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 226550)
I disagree partially with the above opinions.
Like the newbs that lift chest 5 days a week, and wonder why the muscle isn't growing. Lifting causes damage, we all know that. It's the repairs that make the muscle bigger and stronger. Too much damage though, and the muscle doesn't get a chance to ever recover.

I don't think saying it's the same as undereating is a good thought, mainly because if someone hears that, takes it the wrong way, then they start eating the wrong food, just to keep eating for calories.

Newbs also use retarded training protocols, terrible nutrition so yea that could lead to overtraining.

MC 03-22-2012 01:44 PM

My thoughts on overtraining:

Is it possible to overtrain? Yes.

Is is likely that 90% of lifters will ever overtrain? No.

It is crazy to look at a number of sets of any exercise and say someone is overtraining? Yes.

Do I believe that I have ever overtrained? Emphatic No.

5kgLifter 03-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 226575)
My thoughts on overtraining:

Is it possible to overtrain? Yes.

Is is likely that 90% of lifters will ever overtrain? No.

It is crazy to look at a number of sets of any exercise and say someone is overtraining? Yes.

Do I believe that I have ever overtrained? Emphatic No.

I tend to agree with this.