Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default Routine for my wife after she has our son

Well my wife is going to be giving birth to our first son in the two months. She's obsessed with getting back in shape after the baby is born. She was around 5'2" 110lbs and was really toned especially in her legs.

I had her training before but of course like all women all she wanted to do was lower body and forget about upper body.

I'm thinking about having her train like an Olympic lifter - speed movements, plyometrics, agility, stretching, etc.

What do you think of this routine rough draft for her?

Monday
3X5 Back Squats
6X3 Hang Cleans
3X5 Front Squats
Abs
Stretching

Wednesday
4X6 Front Squats
6X3 Weighted Jumps
3X5 Hang Cleans
Abs
Stretching

Friday
3X5 Back Squats
3X8 Stiff-leg deadlifts
4X6 Front Squats
Abs
Stretching

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Looks pretty balanced to me, looks similar to the routines we do when I train at the oly lifting gym.

I personally have no experience training women after birth, but I do remember one issue with training women post natal is their abdominals. They need 2-3 months wait after pregnancy before they should directly train the abdominals, something to do with them moving during birth and if you start doing crunches and so on, it can stop them from moving back into original spot. Or something along those lines, any clarification would be good from someone with more experience?

Only consideration with the oly lifts is its always a good idea to do them first in the routine, then squats and so on after.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
Looks pretty balanced to me, looks similar to the routines we do when I train at the oly lifting gym.
Thanks. What I essentially aimed for when putting it together is one form of back squat, one form of Olympic lift and one form of quad focused lift that also focuses on core development - front squat.

She was real easy to coach with these lifts. Her depth with front squats were nice and low and her back squat form was excellent.

Quote:
I personally have no experience training women after birth, but I do remember one issue with training women post natal is their abdominals. They need 2-3 months wait after pregnancy before they should directly train the abdominals, something to do with them moving during birth and if you start doing crunches and so on, it can stop them from moving back into original spot. Or something along those lines, any clarification would be good from someone with more experience?
You raise excellent points in this paragraph. While I have no experience training girls after pregnancy you do make perfect sense. I will keep this in mind and do a little more research on the subject to see just what the general guidelines are, and I will talk to the OBGYN about it after she gives birth and get his recommendations.

Quote:
Only consideration with the oly lifts is its always a good idea to do them first in the routine, then squats and so on after.
I've always heard this from other experienced lifters and I have also used this as a guideline in the past.

Notes taken and I will have her start her workouts with the Olympic lifts.

Thank you for your input!

If anyone else has any more experience/recommendations just let me know. I am trying to train her like an Olympic lifter. The goal is lower body strength and athleticism.

The back squats I have pointed out are high bar, ATG style. At the moment I only have three lifts per night and I am really considering adding 1 more. I'm thinking lunges, but I'm not sure.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote