Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default Introverts and Extroverts

As you all know, I like reading Brooks' blog. Today's was interesting and I thought it could bring out some good discussion. In it he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Kubik
What's the difference between an introvert and an
extrovert?

Well, if we can generalize, here are some of them:

Introverts like solitude.

Extroverts like being around other people.

Introverts like quiet.

Extroverts like noise.

Introverts THINK.

Extroverts ACT.

Introverts often feel "overwhelmed" if they are in a
place or a situation where there is too much going
on -- too much happening -- too many things to stimulate
their senses.

Extroverts feel BORED unless they are in a place
or a situation where there is lots of action, lots
going on, and lots of things to stimulate their senses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Kubik
1. Is it possible that training programs that work great
for an introvert might not work as well for an extrovert?

2. Is it possible that extroverts should find training
partners who will challenge them to do better?

3. Is it possible that introverts do best if they follow
the same workout for a long period of time -- and extroverts
do best if they change their program relatively often?

4. Is it possible that some trainees do better when they
train in a gym -- and others do better when they train in
the solitude of their garage or basement?

5. If you're a coach, a gym owner or a personal trainer,
should you change your style depending on the trainee's level
of introversion and extroversion?

6. Are there set/rep systems and progression systems that are
better for introverts than for extroverts -- and vice-versa?

7. When you think of people in the Iron Game whom you admire,
are they introverts or extroverts -- and which are you?
The whole post can be found at: Dinosaur Training
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Interesting thoughts. I am introverted and do prefer to train alone with routines that allow me to do so. While I haven't thought through differences in coaching/trianing style when training introverts and extroverts. I do treat them both differently in my approach. I tend to deal with extroverts more in a group, the introverts in private.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
1. Is it possible that training programs that work great
for an introvert might not work as well for an extrovert?
One of the thoughts that can to mind reading this was regarding focus. We all know some of this is generalization, but if an extrovert prefers action over thinking them perhaps a workout that is more challenging set by set as opposed to workout by workout might be a better option.

This meaning pushing on every set for AMAP versus methodically adding weight each week. Obviously speculating here...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I wonder about rep ranges and programming...

20 rep squats are more mental than anything else. I wonder if introverts have better focus over a longer period to do well at these higher rep ranges. Where as extroverts would be more likely to hit heavy low reps and move on to something else.

Programming? I'd think introverts would be drawn to programs like 531 or Christy's that have a slow progression with a few well chosen exercises that don't change often. While extroverts may be drawn to Westide or Split Training where they get to rotate lifts a lot and tinker often.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I've taken the Myers Briggs several times. I come out as an extrovert, but my extrovert/introvert split is very close.

I really have moments where I am far more introverted.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

The Myres Briggs test is a playground for driving people insane. I know I'm not unique in this, but I have two basic modes, one introvert and one extrovert. When I am working on technical, mathematical, or analytic problems, I score very high on the introvert scale. If I have been talking with friends recently, very high extrovert. I'm not saying Myres Briggs should be done away with (though a few psychologists I know think so), but it really depends on the mood you're in when you take it.

But back onto the original theory, I think personality plays a big role in training. If you are an extrovert and like to train in groups, you don't want to wait for your buddies to finish a 20 rep squat while you watch.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I'm not up to speed with the current thinking on this, but some have suggested a biological basis for introversion-extraversion. It's been suggested that introverts have a higher resting level of sympathetic nervous system arousal. This is why they need down time and quiet - they are already close to their optimum without any extra stimulation. By contrast, the extravert has low resting arousal, so he's always looking for stimulation to push him up to the optimum.

One bit of evidence for this is that extraverts tend to have higher pain thresholds than introverts. The extravert's whole nervous system just isn't as responsive.

Taking the argument to the extreme, it's been suggested that psychopaths may have ultra-low levels of arousal. When you and I were little, we learned moral rules because when we did something wrong, we got an angry parent on our case - too much stimulation. But for a psychopath, that same lsituation isn't stressfu and aversivel, it's mildly pleasant. They welcome the extra stimulation. As a consequence, they just don't go through the same conditioning process that other people do.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I don't think whether a person is more of an introvert or an extrovert really has any bearing on how well they perform with certain routines; it just means that an introvert will accomplish the routine alone, or possibly with quiter people whilst an extrovert will be doing the same routine in noiser surroundings (even if that only mean having the radio blaring out) with more outgoing people as their spotters etc.

I'm an introvert but that wouldn't mean that I would change a set-up to supposedly suit that characteristic.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn

I am an extreme introvert.

I like to workout alone in my garage.
I like abbreviated routines.
I like moderate to high reps.
I like consitant and predictable progress.
I like silence; No talking, music or interuptions.
I have to take a nap every day to mentally re-charge.
I don't last long in crowded and busy environments.
Yet, I am a sociable, friendly, and not at all shy...people often confuse shyness and introvertism (is that a word?).
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Here's my deal:

I am an introvert.

I like to workout alone.
I like limited exercises and workouts that get to the point.
I like very low reps reps.
I am obsessed about progress.
I like music that wakes the dead, but no interruptions. Outside the gym my music tastes are subdued.
I can work 20 hours a day on no sleep.
I don't last long in crowded and busy environments. I want to hurt people. Unless it's a bar and I am drinking.
I am very sociable, friendly, and not at all shy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote