Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default Can you help me make some goals?

Well guys I've done a lot of calculating tonight. In my underwear and on a full stomach with no shirt I am 220.4lbs and 5'8" exactly. My bodyfat calibers still reads 26% bodyfat and I took measurements.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 220.4lbs
Bodyfat: 26%
LBM: 163lbs
Shoulders: 53"
Waist: 56" (measured around the belly button)
Right bicep: 16.5"
Left bicep: 15.5"
Right forearm: 14"
Left forearm: 14"
Right thigh: 24"
Left thigh: 24"
Neck: 19"

Without beta blockers, blood pressure and heart rate was....

Right arm: 171/86, 99bpm
Left arm: 158/92, 109bpm

^ That is pitiful...

The only lift I have ever really maxed out at is bench press and that was 310lbs. I'm not sure what my squat or deadlift maxes were during this time period.

Currently, since I haven't been lifting weights, my lifts are..

Bench Press- 215lbs
Squat- 185lbs
Deadlift- 225lbs
Press- 125lbs

Any help making goals? Weight, bodyfat, lifts, etc. with this provided information? My goals for this cycle is- strength, speed, endurance and to just look better and feel better.

Some of you guys have been in the cutting game for a long time. What is pretty achievable for these stats? I've never done a cutting phase in my life, so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks!

According to the military's bodyfat calculator, I am 43% bodyfat, but according to my home calibers I am 26%. Is this normal? Which should I go by?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-08-2012 at 01:43 AM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Brother, I think you know what you need to do. You have the training and know how. Now do it.

IMHO, with your BP, BF%, etc... I would not worry about lift maxes right now, I would focus on my own weight. By your listed certifications, you should know what to do in the gym and the kitchen.

This is both a physical issue and a spiritual issue. Paul writes, 1 Cor 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. Now, apply those verses in your sig and make a transformation that will glorify God and make others marvel.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I think your first goal should be getting your BP in check. If your cholestoral is also high, you're in line for an early heart attack. Of coarse, getting in shape will help those numbers, but maybe you should see a Dr first. Just a thought.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
My goals for this cycle is- strength, speed, endurance and to just look better and feel better.
Goals -

We need to do three things with those goals:

1) Simplify - It's hard enough to hit 1 goal most of the time, never mind 4.
2) Be explicit - Once we've decided on what is most important to you. Get yourself some accurate figures that you want to aim for.
3) Set a deadline - A deadline (like a competiton) provides a sense of urgency and prevents side-tracking and 'experimenting'.

The impression I get from your pictures and your posts, the biggest bang for your buck right now in terms of quality of life, health and self-confidence will be from lowering your bodyfat levels. My personal opinion, having been down the diet route, is that you like many people under-estimate bodyfat levels. In my opinion you're certainly a ways over 30% and more like 35%. However regardless of whether it's 26% or 36% guesses really are irrelevant to the fact that something needs to be done about it.

Diet -

Lets get the basics down:

1) Have a week where you monitor calories. Aim for a maintenance intake, nothing less, nothing more. Record what you eat and by the end of the week you should know your true maintenance (not what some website says). If you gained weight or lost it, then you might do this week again to get a maintenance.

2) Now you have your maintenance, subtract 500 calories and that is your daily intake for the next month at least. Later on you might zig zag or have cheat breaks, but your bodyfat now doesn't warrant that.

3) Macros. Not a massive fan of tailoring too much here, just get 200g of protein a day and concentrate on getting a large part of your carbs/calories after training.

Training -

Talking efficiency and aims to basically look good while getting you conditioned to lifting again I would recommend H/L/M full body variations. Something like this:

Monday Heavy - 3 x 10

Overhead Press
Squats
Benches
Chins
SLDL
Curls

Wednesday - Light - 3 x 15

DB. OHP
DB Row
DB Bench
Front Squat/Overhead Squat
Hypers/GMs
Curls

Friday - Medium - 3 x 12

Overhead Press
Rows
CGBP
Deadlift
Front Squat/Leg Press

Progression will be whenever you can get all of the target reps.

Keeping track/accountable

Keep a log here of course, and keep an accurate set of records week-by-week. Don't fall into the trap of weighing each day. Give yourself enough time to get this done. 2lbs a week is plenty to begin with, and later on 1lb will be fine.

That's what I would recommend. Good luck.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Goals -

We need to do three things with those goals:

1) Simplify - It's hard enough to hit 1 goal most of the time, never mind 4.
2) Be explicit - Once we've decided on what is most important to you. Get yourself some accurate figures that you want to aim for.
3) Set a deadline - A deadline (like a competiton) provides a sense of urgency and prevents side-tracking and 'experimenting'.

The impression I get from your pictures and your posts, the biggest bang for your buck right now in terms of quality of life, health and self-confidence will be from lowering your bodyfat levels.

Talking efficiency and aims to basically look good while getting you conditioned to lifting again.
Awesome!
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

I must have not been as clear as what I meant to help me make some goals. What I mean is, what weight do you think I should cut to? What bodyfat% do you think I would be at this weight? If I was 35% bodyfat, that would put me at 143lb LBM. I know I have more LBM than that.

I was looking for a weight, bodyfat, bench press, squat, deadlift goal. I can read all the books in the world about cutting and fat-loss, but until I experience it for myself there's no way I would be for sure what works better for me and what wouldn't. I'm curious to some of you guys that have been in the cutting game for a while, what weight/bodyfat goal would you have me make?

I'm not sure if this is the thread that I stated this, but I am going to check my weight every Sunday upon wakening first thing in the mornings and I am going to measure my bodyfat% at the last day of every month.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My estimates have you around 27-28% bodybat, or a LBM around 160 pounds. You are not 43%.

Quote:
What I mean is, what weight do you think I should cut to? What bodyfat% do you think I would be at this weight?
I can't say what weight you should cut to. That's your call. Here are some possible scenarios, as you may lose a bit of muscle while cutting.

200 pounds, 158 LBM = 21% bodyfat
190 pounds, 158 LBM = 17% bodyfat
180 pounds, 157 LBM = 13% bodyfat

The lower you go, the harder to maintain. Train hard, and after 200 take it a pound at a time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My estimates have you around 27-28% bodybat, or a LBM around 160 pounds. You are not 43%.

I can't say what weight you should cut to. That's your call. Here are some possible scenarios, as you may lose a bit of muscle while cutting.

200 pounds, 158 LBM = 21% bodyfat
190 pounds, 158 LBM = 17% bodyfat
180 pounds, 157 LBM = 13% bodyfat

The lower you go, the harder to maintain. Train hard, and after 200 take it a pound at a time.
Man, this is going to be tough. I would say at about 200lbs my BP would drop naturally due to the water weight. 13% bodyfat to me would be pretty lean since I haven't been there in ages.

If the other guy above is right and I am really 35% bodyfat, then I would need to cut to 160 to be lean and I would be afraid of blowing away in the wind then!

My main concern is cutting without losing my strength. I just want to maintain my lifts when I get up there. I won't want my bench dropping below 260 and I want my squat and deadlifts in the 300s-400s.

I guess I will make two goals: the first goal 200lbs, then the second goal 180lbs; once I reach 180lbs, then I will decide if I should cut any further down.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well I didn't notice Fazc's numbers, but at the end of the day it's a trivial difference. Here was my thought...I am 5'10", 179 LBM. For every inch below this a lifter generally holds 4 less pounds of muscle mass. If you were as big as me your LBM would be around 175. I think you have muscle, but are 15 pounds below me, so I think you're around 160 LBM.

That's my reasoning, but just remember that small differences change the percentages quite a bit. Right now you can't control whether you are 28 or 35.

Focus on what you can control, being:

1) Progressive training on the basics.
2) Calorie intake.

Once you get in a groove on this diet add cardio. Most bodybuilders recommend slowly adding cardio.

From here you lose weight one week at a time and re-assess. It is normal to drop weight more rapidly during week one for several reasons, one major one being your carb intake drops.

Ignore week weight loss totals unless it is real high or non-existent. Week 2 will be the baseline. If you are not losing about 2 pounds per week, drop your calorie intake by 300 per day. If you are losing weight too quickly, raise your calorie intake by 300 per day.

I completely agree with Fazc on Macros. Focus on getting enough protein and fat. Carbs fall inline naturally. No need to count as long as calories are in check and you're not undereating fat or protein.

Goal...lose 2 pounds per week.
Month one goal...lose 10 pounds (week one will be heavier)
Month two goal...lose 18 total pounds

Each week here on out see how you look in the mirror. 3-4 months you should be exactly where you need to be no matter what.

If you don't push for progression your body will have no reason to hold onto muscle while cutting.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well I didn't notice Fazc's numbers, but at the end of the day it's a trivial difference. Here was my thought...I am 5'10", 179 LBM. For every inch below this a lifter generally holds 4 less pounds of muscle mass. If you were as big as me your LBM would be around 175. I think you have muscle, but are 15 pounds below me, so I think you're around 160 LBM.

That's my reasoning, but just remember that small differences change the percentages quite a bit. Right now you can't control whether you are 28 or 35.

Focus on what you can control, being:

1) Progressive training on the basics.
2) Calorie intake.

Once you get in a groove on this diet add cardio. Most bodybuilders recommend slowly adding cardio.

From here you lose weight one week at a time and re-assess. It is normal to drop weight more rapidly during week one for several reasons, one major one being your carb intake drops.

Ignore week weight loss totals unless it is real high or non-existent. Week 2 will be the baseline. If you are not losing about 2 pounds per week, drop your calorie intake by 300 per day. If you are losing weight too quickly, raise your calorie intake by 300 per day.

I completely agree with Fazc on Macros. Focus on getting enough protein and fat. Carbs fall inline naturally. No need to count as long as calories are in check and you're not undereating fat or protein.

Goal...lose 2 pounds per week.
Month one goal...lose 10 pounds (week one will be heavier)
Month two goal...lose 18 total pounds

Each week here on out see how you look in the mirror. 3-4 months you should be exactly where you need to be no matter what.

If you don't push for progression your body will have no reason to hold onto muscle while cutting.
Great advice. I feel like I am somewhere between 155-160lbs LBM. I don't think I would be able to bench press 310lbs at only 140lbs LBM.

I think I will gain a little bit of LBM during the early phases of the cut simply because, and it saddens me to say this, but I have never taken squats or deadlifts seriously in the past. I have always been an upper body person and I regret it severely.

I think while focusing on development of the lower body and the anabolic benefits included in training the lower body will somehow assist with maintenance of even development of LBM during this cut.

The first thing I have to drop is soda. I'm a sodaholic. I drink every bit of 6 bottles of coke and 3-4 cans of Mountain Dew per day. I think that caffeine might even have something to do with my extremely high BP.

^ Right there is another picture of me at Florida this past summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvp.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	4112  

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-08-2012 at 08:50 PM.