Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
The first thing I have to drop is soda. I'm a sodaholic. I drink every bit of 6 bottles of coke and 3-4 cans of Mountain Dew per day. I think that caffeine might even have something to do with my extremely high BP.
I would bet it's more the carbs than the caffeine. I would worry about dumping all that sugar first. That will help you a lot.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Great advice. I feel like I am somewhere between 155-160lbs LBM. I don't think I would be able to bench press 310lbs at only 140lbs LBM.

I think I will gain a little bit of LBM during the early phases of the cut simply because, and it saddens me to say this, but I have never taken squats or deadlifts seriously in the past. I have always been an upper body person and I regret it severely.

I think while focusing on development of the lower body and the anabolic benefits included in training the lower body will somehow assist with maintenance of even development of LBM during this cut.

The first thing I have to drop is soda. I'm a sodaholic. I drink every bit of 6 bottles of coke and 3-4 cans of Mountain Dew per day. I think that caffeine might even have something to do with my extremely high BP.

^ Right there is another picture of me at Florida this past summer.
Dude. 6 bottles of coke and 3-4 Mountain Dews? Empty calories equaling two full meals +. Drop the sodas alone and you should start to lose weight. 6 - 20 oz cokes at 240 calories each is 1440, 3 Dews about the same # of calories brings you to over 2000 empty calories a day, 14000+ a week.

Dr. Berardi (Precision Nutrition) teaches small steps in the process. Make this small step #1. Go the next two weeks drinking water, unsweetened or diet drinks (IMHO coke Zero tastes closer to coke than diet coke).

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

MVP you also mentioned this in your log:

Quote:
Lets keep in mind, I have probably eaten fast food at least 340 days of the year for the past 5 years.
The caffeine isn't the issue. Fast food and soft drinks. That's the killer.

Not trying to lecture you from a high horse. I have plenty of bad days. I just think if you get rid of 90% of the fast food and soda you'll feel superhuman.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
MVP you also mentioned this in your log:

The caffeine isn't the issue. Fast food and soft drinks. That's the killer.

Not trying to lecture you from a high horse. I have plenty of bad days. I just think if you get rid of 90% of the fast food and soda you'll feel superhuman.
Thanks to both of you guys for the suggestions. I agree completely that elimination of fast food and soft drinks alone would probably give me a reputable amount of extra energy and weight-loss.

I think the last time I had real fast food (Wendy's) was last Thursday. After that, I have been eating chicken/bacon/ranch subs from Subway anytime we go out. I know Subway isn't as healthy as salads and veggies but it significantly beats greasy fast food.

Right now I just need to eliminate the soft drinks. I have been addicted to sodas for as long as I can remember. For some reason my body just gags at the thought of unhealthy foods here recently though. I am in such a craving for "fresh" vegetables, lean meats, and nuts. For some reason my body is becoming attracted to anything healthy, but it's probably trying to stay alive lol.

I'll tell you what would definitely do me some good. Does anyone have any motivational stories on here? Some guys that did a weight loss and have before and after pictures (without juice)?

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'll see if I can dig up some before photos again, but between Dec 2008 and Jan 2010, so about 14 months, I dropped 145 pounds. My blood pressure came down to good levels, my diabetes disappeared, my cholesterol went back to normal, the worst of my depression related issues went away, so a huge life change. I really need to get some current pics though, all I really have is me after dropping a lot of weight but before I started lifting.

The Brute Eats thread is where I log most of my daily food intake, recipes, and that sort of thing. Currently I'm cutting again, and having a decent time doing it. Even when I bulk though, I stay out of sugar and refined carbs. Lots of meat, lots of veggies, lots of fat.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Dropping the soda and fast food, and replacing it with water and good food, will be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Good luck man!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

In the first post, you said that your waist measurement was 56". That has to be a typo, judging from the pics. Was it supposed to be 36"?

I agree with the general consensus on here re: diet. Just cutting those sodas out would be a huge improvement to your diet.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

I hate the word soda. Up here we call it pop.