Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default Cardio for out of shape

I was just writing an article the other night on how I have gotten strong over the years, much stronger than I ever thought I would be, and how I've gotten this big powerlifter frame now, but high bodyfat% and need to cut some weight. I think I'm around 28% bodyfat, but you could probably take a better guess. Here are some pictures of me at the bahamas in 2011.

Does anyone on here have a strong knowledge to cardio workouts? I know that I will be needing aerobic cardio for the time being and not anaerobic, but is there anyone that is good with like setting up cardio programs? As you can tell, I have some mass, but I am desperately out of shape.

The first picture was taken at Freeport, Bahamas and the second was taken at Daytona Beach, Florida. And yes, I still rock camo even at the beach lol.

In those pictures, I weighed around 210-215. Today I am 220-225. I had just hit my personal record bench press 250lbs x 5 the day these pictures were taken. I haven't lifted weights really since then.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"

Last edited by MVP; 03-06-2012 at 10:07 PM.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

What's your end goal is weight wise or bodyfat wise?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for reminding me.

At the moment, just checked the scales, I am 223lbs at 5'9".

I would love to be 175-185lbs and around 10% bodyfat.

What do you estimate my bodyfat% to be currently? I'd say around 28%.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I believe in conditioning to help with recovery and general health. I believe fat loss comes through diet. Of course, you'll want to do both.

As for conditioning, I'm no expert but I do know that long boring cardio is like torture for me. I prefer things like sled pulling, Prowler pushing, hill sprints and barbell complexes. I've also been doing my fair share of sprints at different distances lately and I find them enjoyable. I guess you need to find things you like to do so you stick with it longer.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
As for conditioning, I'm no expert but I do know that long boring cardio is like torture for me. I prefer things like sled pulling, Prowler pushing, hill sprints and barbell complexes. I've also been doing my fair share of sprints at different distances lately and I find them enjoyable. I guess you need to find things you like to do so you stick with it longer.
The problem I have with the sprints is that it utilizes your anaerobic glycosis rather than your aerobic metabolism. I am wanting to increase my aerobic cardio, or the efficiency of my body to create ATP inside of the mitochondria.

My history of high blood pressure and tachycardia, as well as my beta blocker medication, is probably not going to do good with high intensity exercise. I'll definitely need to start with some aerobic.

Another thing, aerobic conditioning teaches your body to do more than just burn a lot of calories. You end up increasing stroke volume, decreasing heart rate, and increasing your bodies ability to efficiently use oxygen. Another thing about aerobic conditioning is it is muscle friendly and hormone friendly.

If I were trying to get down into major digit bodyfat % then I would use HIIT as a tool or a keto diet approach, but since I am just really trying to better condition myself and increase my overall health I'd rather just use low intensity cardio and a "watch what you eat" diet.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Kevsworld
Brawn
Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono, Protein
Kevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality posts

I'm sure you know this, but you have to get your diet in order before anything. You can't out-cardio a bad diet.

I'm more of a fan of limiting time between sets and doing interval training for fat loss. But if you are wanting a slow (steady state) cardio I'd recommend just doing some fast walking on the treadmill after you train with weights.

Have you looked into taking CoQ10? It may help with blood pressure. I'm also thinking some of the health factors (like blood pressure) will improve once you've dropped some body fat.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevsworld View Post
I'm sure you know this, but you have to get your diet in order before anything. You can't out-cardio a bad diet.
Oh yeah definitely. Right now my main concern is just increasing my activity to increase metabolism and expand some more energy and get my body used to moving around again. I know the nutrition is going to play the most important roll in weight-loss.

Quote:
I'm more of a fan of limiting time between sets and doing interval training for fat loss. But if you are wanting a slow (steady state) cardio I'd recommend just doing some fast walking on the treadmill after you train with weights.
I'm probably going to do all forms of cardio to be honest. I have one day picked out for nothing but steady state cardio, then another picked out for sprinting and a form of tabata, except with lighter intensity. Another method of cardio I am using is bodyweight movements like push ups, pull-ups, sit ups, and general running. I will also be taking up boxing again; no sparring or anything just yet but heavy bag and mitt rounds.

Quote:
Have you looked into taking CoQ10? It may help with blood pressure. I'm also thinking some of the health factors (like blood pressure) will improve once you've dropped some body fat.
No, but I will look into that right now and see what it is. I agree my blood pressure and heart rate will naturally decline as I become more active and clean up my nutrition. My Doctor said the tests came back that my cholesterol was high and he believed to be a key problem. He says I'm way too young to be on medication and to have so much weight gain.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
The problem I have with the sprints is that it utilizes your anaerobic glycosis rather than your aerobic metabolism. I am wanting to increase my aerobic cardio, or the efficiency of my body to create ATP inside of the mitochondria.

My history of high blood pressure and tachycardia, as well as my beta blocker medication, is probably not going to do good with high intensity exercise. I'll definitely need to start with some aerobic.

Another thing, aerobic conditioning teaches your body to do more than just burn a lot of calories. You end up increasing stroke volume, decreasing heart rate, and increasing your bodies ability to efficiently use oxygen. Another thing about aerobic conditioning is it is muscle friendly and hormone friendly.

If I were trying to get down into major digit bodyfat % then I would use HIIT as a tool or a keto diet approach, but since I am just really trying to better condition myself and increase my overall health I'd rather just use low intensity cardio and a "watch what you eat" diet.
Just a couple of things I want to ask about. I am far from an expert on cardio conditioning or endurance, but I thought that doing things like sprints was responsible for increasing stroke volume and therefore decreasing resting heart rate. I was under the impression that the more long distance endurance work was responsible more for increasing a-vod (bodies ability to use the oxygen in the blood) in your slow twitch fibers as well as increasing mitochondria count.

I was thinking the EPOC created from sprinting and barbell complexes was going to create a larger overall calorie consumption over the day, when compared with slower long distance cardio? Again I am no expert on this sort of thing, just throwing a few things I had been told. There is a very good chance that I was told the wrong things, and so on.

In terms of cardio programming, that will depend on your current fitness level. Could you say run for 30odd minutes at around 60ish% of max heart rate?

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
What do you estimate my bodyfat% to be currently? I'd say around 28%.
With your qualifications as a personal trainer and nutrition consultant, you don't do bodyfat % tests? Should be easy enough to check if you need to know the exact %.

P.S. Nice looking gf too!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

I have a pretty good knowledge. 10 year Marine Corps Infantry Officer and I worked at Parris Island for three years (8 cycles) so I know how to get people into shape. The key for me is just like lilting weights is to mix things up so you dont get bored. If all you do is steady state longer distance runs, it can get boring.
Heres are two sample track workout for example (adjust distances for conditioning level):

1. 3 mile track workout

Jog 1 mile
Follow with 3 sets of one lap at goal pace with one lap recovery (1 and a half mile total)
Finish with 2 sets of half a lap sprint followed by half a lap recovery (half a mile)

2.Spartan Run
Run 1 mile
100 push ups
100 abs of choice
Run 1 mile
75 push ups
75 abs of choice
Run 1 mile
50 push ups
50 abs of choice

Start with some walking a few days a week and then have two days where you do more of the intense conditioning workouts like I listed.

I like harder conditioning workouts because I am not going to live my life counting every morsel of food I eat. Its much easier to bust your ass in the weight room and on the track and then eat to fuel those workouts.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote