Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor
Default Any of you on beta blockers?

Are any of you guys on atenolol or any other beta blocker? After I let go of myself and quit taking care of myself a few years ago I got diagnosed with tachycardia and systolic hypertension (all are curable) and I have high cholesterol. My Doctor placed me on 50mg of atenolol, which is a beta blocker, and I was wondering if anyone else still exercises on one?

I remember when I was taking the course for ACE and NASM there was a lot of guidelines regarding exercise while on beta blockers. I can't remember exactly what they were though. I'm out to get my life back and ain't no pill gonna be stop me!!!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
I got diagnosed with tachycardia
That's related to heart rate, correct?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Yeah it means you have a fast heart rate. Basically, you know how when you do aerobic cardio it causes the inferior dimensions of the ventricles to increase and thereby increases stroke volume while decreasing resting heart rate? When you don't exercise or take care of yourself for a long period, your heart does the opposite and your heart rate increases. That's why I'm doing low intensity cardio this program to try to lower my heart rate.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Yeah it means you have a fast heart rate. Basically, you know how when you do aerobic cardio it causes the inferior dimensions of the ventricles to increase and thereby increases stroke volume while decreasing resting heart rate? When you don't exercise or take care of yourself for a long period, your heart does the opposite and your heart rate increases. That's why I'm doing low intensity cardio this program to try to lower my heart rate.
Makes sense. I am unfamiliar with beta blockers so I thought I would stick my head in and be nosy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

I can't remember what the ACSM recommends for athletes on beta blockers. I don't want to pass out in the middle of a workout or anything.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
I can't remember what the ACSM recommends for athletes on beta blockers. I don't want to pass out in the middle of a workout or anything.
I did a read up on beta blockers, internet info, and it suggests that people on beta blockers should be keeping their heart rate in the lower zones of 55% MaxHR instead of the recommended 70% area. It may be wise to just ask a doctor, just for the sake of safety.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I did a read up on beta blockers, internet info, and it suggests that people on beta blockers should be keeping their heart rate in the lower zones of 55% MaxHR instead of the recommended 70% area. It may be wise to just ask a doctor, just for the sake of safety.
I'm considering just training before I take those beta blockers during the day and then taking the beta blockers an hour or so afterwards. I mean the point of a beta blocker is to lower the heart rate while the point of exercise is to elevate the heart rate, so I think I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone on that one.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
I'm considering just training before I take those beta blockers during the day and then taking the beta blockers an hour or so afterwards. I mean the point of a beta blocker is to lower the heart rate while the point of exercise is to elevate the heart rate, so I think I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone on that one.
Yeah, that's what the site stated, seems like the beta blockers effectively skew what the heart is really doing, so keeping the heart rate lower won't mean it's not necessarily working hard just that the beta blockers are masking the "true" heart rate or rate at which the heart is really working, if that makes sense.