Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any of you on beta blockers? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9184)

MVP 03-02-2012 06:08 PM

Any of you on beta blockers?

Are any of you guys on atenolol or any other beta blocker? After I let go of myself and quit taking care of myself a few years ago I got diagnosed with tachycardia and systolic hypertension (all are curable) and I have high cholesterol. My Doctor placed me on 50mg of atenolol, which is a beta blocker, and I was wondering if anyone else still exercises on one?

I remember when I was taking the course for ACE and NASM there was a lot of guidelines regarding exercise while on beta blockers. I can't remember exactly what they were though. I'm out to get my life back and ain't no pill gonna be stop me!!!

BendtheBar 03-02-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221328)
I got diagnosed with tachycardia

That's related to heart rate, correct?

MVP 03-02-2012 09:51 PM

Yeah it means you have a fast heart rate. Basically, you know how when you do aerobic cardio it causes the inferior dimensions of the ventricles to increase and thereby increases stroke volume while decreasing resting heart rate? When you don't exercise or take care of yourself for a long period, your heart does the opposite and your heart rate increases. That's why I'm doing low intensity cardio this program to try to lower my heart rate.

BendtheBar 03-02-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221374)
Yeah it means you have a fast heart rate. Basically, you know how when you do aerobic cardio it causes the inferior dimensions of the ventricles to increase and thereby increases stroke volume while decreasing resting heart rate? When you don't exercise or take care of yourself for a long period, your heart does the opposite and your heart rate increases. That's why I'm doing low intensity cardio this program to try to lower my heart rate.

Makes sense. I am unfamiliar with beta blockers so I thought I would stick my head in and be nosy.

MVP 03-03-2012 12:09 AM

I can't remember what the ACSM recommends for athletes on beta blockers. I don't want to pass out in the middle of a workout or anything.

5kgLifter 03-04-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221385)
I can't remember what the ACSM recommends for athletes on beta blockers. I don't want to pass out in the middle of a workout or anything.

I did a read up on beta blockers, internet info, and it suggests that people on beta blockers should be keeping their heart rate in the lower zones of 55% MaxHR instead of the recommended 70% area. It may be wise to just ask a doctor, just for the sake of safety.

MVP 03-04-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 221709)
I did a read up on beta blockers, internet info, and it suggests that people on beta blockers should be keeping their heart rate in the lower zones of 55% MaxHR instead of the recommended 70% area. It may be wise to just ask a doctor, just for the sake of safety.

I'm considering just training before I take those beta blockers during the day and then taking the beta blockers an hour or so afterwards. I mean the point of a beta blocker is to lower the heart rate while the point of exercise is to elevate the heart rate, so I think I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone on that one.

5kgLifter 03-04-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221721)
I'm considering just training before I take those beta blockers during the day and then taking the beta blockers an hour or so afterwards. I mean the point of a beta blocker is to lower the heart rate while the point of exercise is to elevate the heart rate, so I think I could perhaps kill two birds with one stone on that one.

Yeah, that's what the site stated, seems like the beta blockers effectively skew what the heart is really doing, so keeping the heart rate lower won't mean it's not necessarily working hard just that the beta blockers are masking the "true" heart rate or rate at which the heart is really working, if that makes sense.