Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Back exercises (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9150)

Trent 02-28-2012 06:54 PM

Back exercises

What are some good exercises to really get the back into shape? My cousin has had tons of trouble with his back and just wants some good exercises without any equipment to do to strengthen it. I told him to do the superman, but what are some others?

Off Road 02-28-2012 07:26 PM

Back extensions, and don't forget to work the abdominals which support the back.

bamazav 02-28-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trent (Post 220496)
What are some good exercises to really get the back into shape? My cousin has had tons of trouble with his back and just wants some good exercises without any equipment to do to strengthen it. I told him to do the superman, but what are some others?

It would be helpful to know what you mean by " tons of trouble with his back." I had back surgery, L5-S1. My back troubles are different than someone who has back spasm or mid or upper back disc issues. Something I would recommend for building the upper back may not be what I recommend for lower back issues, etc... Also, if it is muscular you would address it differently than if it is disc related.

MVP 02-29-2012 07:08 PM

A good back program usually involves three essential pulls.

1- Pull from the ground (deadlift)
2- Pull from infront (rows)
3- Pull from above (pullups)

0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees. Lower back, middle back, upper back. All hit with this simple balance.

If necessary in later stages of training, face pulls/hyper-extensions/power cleans are all beneficial for the extra stimulus.

As mentioned by an earlier poster, you will need to specify what type of back problems exactly that guy man has. A Doctor could only prescribe treatment for his back and a physical therapist recovery.

WarriorP 02-29-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 220514)
Back extensions, and don't forget to work the abdominals which support the back.

Ab work will make your core strong. Make sure that he does both so he gets the full effect :)

Jamesw 03-06-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 220779)
A good back program usually involves three essential pulls.

1- Pull from the ground (deadlift)
2- Pull from infront (rows)
3- Pull from above (pullups)

0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees. Lower back, middle back, upper back. All hit with this simple balance.

If necessary in later stages of training, face pulls/hyper-extensions/power cleans are all beneficial for the extra stimulus.

As mentioned by an earlier poster, you will need to specify what type of back problems exactly that guy man has. A Doctor could only prescribe treatment for his back and a physical therapist recovery.

Said it all right there. Good post.

Trent 03-07-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 220538)
It would be helpful to know what you mean by " tons of trouble with his back." I had back surgery, L5-S1. My back troubles are different than someone who has back spasm or mid or upper back disc issues. Something I would recommend for building the upper back may not be what I recommend for lower back issues, etc... Also, if it is muscular you would address it differently than if it is disc related.

He has put it out several times. Never had any surgeries or anything like that. Does not have insurance so he can not afford PT for it. I believe it is his lower back but am not quite sure.