Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Asymmetrical DOMS (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8625)

LtL 01-16-2012 07:41 AM

Asymmetrical DOMS

I seem to be getting more DOMS on the right side of my body than my left. I am right handed and wonder if this is the cause but does anyone else experience this?

LtL

BendtheBar 01-16-2012 08:36 AM

My left side has always been a rep or two behind my right on certain exercises but never had a difference in DOMS. Certainly think it is possible though, especially with your training intensity.

markievicz 01-16-2012 09:05 AM

i sometimes get them more in the left side , but only on back day after pull ups....
im right handed , so maybe i am over compensating for my dominant hand?

5kgLifter 01-16-2012 11:33 AM

I've never noticed either side to be more problematical, pretty equal in the way of DOMS. To feel it on the dominant side is unusual since it will be the opposite side firing more in order to stabilise the lack of muscle use and therefore presumed instability which is caused on the non-dominant side as a by-product of the dominant side going all-out, from what I've been reading anyway.

Interesting though.

LtL 01-16-2012 11:34 AM

For example. I can do single leg, leg curls with bands for the same sets, reps and ROM on each leg but feel it more on the right than the left. Weird...

LtL

5kgLifter 01-16-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 208046)
For example. I can do single leg, leg curls with bands for the same sets, reps and ROM on each leg but feel it more on the right than the left. Weird...

LtL

Not sure if it works the same for leg curls but the principle in theory is the same...but, with Kb swings, if the KB is on the left side, the right glute will contract at more than 100% contraction which it can't do if you physically try and do it because then you'd only manage 100% contraction by default.

Likewise with your leg curls, maybe (and I'm theorising here based on gained knowledge, nothing more) because the right side is dominant and therefore contracts better anyway, when you curl with the left leg you get a more substantial contraction going on in the right side and hence the DOMS are worse on that side even though the bands used are the same strength.

Just a theory though.

LtL 01-16-2012 11:50 AM

Interesting theory Bab's. Might be.

Realistically unless my RHS becomes freakishly large whilst my LHS remains the same size, I think I'll cope :) It's just interesting to theorise and discuss.

LtL

LtL 01-17-2012 04:47 PM

Buy one get one free pizza day does not mean that you and your wife each get a pizza. It means you get two and she has to order her own as per usual.

LtL

Disciple X 01-17-2012 05:51 PM

This last post looks misplaced, but i totally agree :)

5kgLifter 01-17-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple X (Post 208498)
This last post looks misplaced, but i totally agree :)

The thought of the two pizzas disturbed his concentration :tomato: :chow: