Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Stupid Training

What's the worst training idea you've ever tried?

For me the worst idea was trying German Volume Training with squats. 8 days later I could barely walk without wanting to cry. DOMS were off the charts and I will never, ever try this again.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Steady state, long duration aerobic exercise (walking, exercise bike, eliptical). I was so bored it was SCARY. I still have nightmares about it to this day.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I've done crazy leg press strip sets, which have resulted in about 70 reps. Did them with my best friend and hated him throughout it!

I've also done the 300 routine before, without any prior preparation conditioning wise, and while I finished it, I very quickly had to go to the toilet and throw up!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'll add another. I once did a 10-15 minute set of leg presses. I was training with Jslep and we slapped some weight on the sled. It was a horizontal style sled and I had never tried one before. I thought I would test myself and see how many reps I could do. After 100 I stopped counting...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

That squat challenge that you set on here. I did it on the first day back in the gym after a break. 140kg(308lb) for a hundred reps. I was getting cramps for days after and I had to shuffle up and down the stairs on my ass.

When I was 21, I did a marathon with no preparation at all. That nearly killed me. Sheer arrogance. A couple of years later, I cycled 200 miles in a day, on a crappy old bike, just to see if I could. That was even worse.

In the gym, I did the 'one day arm cure' of Poliquin's. That was pretty dumb, and it did nothing for my arms other than inflame my tendons for a week. I did extreme stretching as part of Doggcrap and - if I'm remembering this right - the ABCDE diet ( alternately undereating and overeating) that MM2K promoted. Load of old cobblers that was.

Tried GVT as well, but I don't remember getting very much out of that.

As an aside: when you think of some of the stuff Poliquin advocates, including ridiculous levels of vitamins, body typing on Chinese mystical principles etc, I don't think his hit rate is all that great.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

In my most recent memory... I decided that after not doing on work on my traps for 2 months, I would just go back and kill them. I just kept adding plates until I got to 485 total, and pumped 3 reps, then did full max out drop sets to clear the weights. I think to cover the full up and down weight range, I might have pulled for over 150 reps...

Pain lasted for almost 10 days, 5 days until I could fully turn my head in either direction... then a few days later I did lots of rows, low and high. Pain came back for another week...stupid, stupid, stuipid.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

i blasted my calves just like that one time and also hadn't trained them in months or longer. the next 2 days my toes were stuck pointing downward. i got really sick too and was told it may have been lactic acid poisoning or something to that affect.

i literally spent the weekend in bed and had to crawl around my room. fortunately it was a weekend, otherwise i would have had to miss work and it would not have been good.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

running 400m sprints....never again!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Great thread!

I make it my business to do something stupid once a week. lol!

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

It wasn't exactly training, but helping build a pole barn the day before a high school basketball tourney. I had such bad DOMS in my forearms that I couldn't open doors, much less shoot the ball.

Training wise, jumping into the conditioning routine we did for highschool sports right after I had lost my weight recently and before I had done any real exercise at all. Leg DOMS bad enough that I couldn't make it down the steps to go to work the next day.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote