Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How does exercise affect bone development during growth? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8233)

Shadowschmadow 12-15-2011 10:59 AM

How does exercise affect bone development during growth?

Came across this during my search for an answer for another thread. Thought I'd share it with those looking to learn. And I decided to post it here because this section gets no love... :(

Quote:

Abstract

It is increasingly accepted that osteoporosis is a paediatric issue. The prepubertal human skeleton is quite sensitive to the mechanical stimulation elicited by physical activity. To achieve the benefits for bone deriving from physical activity, it is not necessary to perform high volumes of exercise, since a notable osteogenic effect may be achieved with just 3 hours of participation in sports. Physical activity or participation in sport should start at prepubertal ages and should be maintained through the pubertal development to obtain the maximal peak bone mass potentially achievable. Starting physical activity prior to the pubertal growth spurt stimulates both bone and skeletal muscle hypertrophy to a greater degree than observed with normal growth in non-physically active children. High strain-eliciting sport like gymnastics, or participation in sports or weight-bearing physical activities like football or handball, are strongly recommended to increase the peak bone mass. Moreover, the increase in lean mass is the most important predictor for bone mineral mass accrual during prepubertal growth throughout the population. Since skeletal muscle is the primary component of lean mass, participation in sport could have not only a direct osteogenic effect, but also an indirect effect by increasing muscle mass and hence the tensions generated on bones during prepubertal years.

How does exercise affect bone development during ... [Sports Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Hope you learned something...

tank 12-15-2011 11:31 AM

i learned the word "prepubertal"

Shadowschmadow 12-15-2011 11:33 AM

Do I need to explain the definition in classic Shadow fashion/lingo?

tank 12-15-2011 11:34 AM

no, i learned it!

Shadowschmadow 12-15-2011 11:39 AM

Good, because I'm sure Steve wouldn't appreciate my explanation. :D I have a history for being overly blunt/forward which goes well beyond the realm of just this forum.

BendtheBar 12-15-2011 11:53 AM

Clif's notes: Play more video games?

MC 12-15-2011 12:02 PM

It makes sense to me that exercise would be beneficial to building more dense and stronger bones. Thanks for the link, Shadow.

Shadowschmadow 12-15-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 198214)
Clif's notes: Play more video games?

Did you read it at all....

Shadowschmadow 12-15-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 198221)
It makes sense to me that exercise would be beneficial to building more dense and stronger bones. Thanks for the link, Shadow.

Since weight lifting for children/teens is so high debated....

tank 12-15-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 198224)
Did you read it at all....

LOL :y: