Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
swoleramon
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37 Points: 3,568, Level: 37
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

swoleramon is new to the forumswoleramon is new to the forum
Default Why is everyone obsessed with their body type?

Why is everyone obsessed with their body type? Someone on the forum once posted that we are a combination of all 3 and I get that we may be more ecto than endo or more meso that ecto but does it really matter? What's the point?

All I want to know is if this matters at all or if there is any reason to care.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I'm not I think they feel that if they have a certain body type, that they can use a different diet or routine and get better results; whether that is the case or not though??
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am glad I knew nothing about this when I was 18.

Being small-boned, weak and skinny fat I might have just joined the monastery.

Does it have any bearing on anything? Not really. As a natural if you want to be a competitive bodybuilder master conditioning and that will take you far.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I'm not I think they feel that if they have a certain body type, that they can use a different diet or routine and get better results; whether that is the case or not though??
It's more like if they have a certain body type the have an excuse ready when they don't get the results they want.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Body type, to me, in and of itself is nonsense.

I was a guy who looked like a classic ectomorph. I finally learned to train hard and now I look like a mesomorph.

If I stopped training and ate ice cream all day, I'd look like an endomorph in no time.

The types don't define anything about you. Worrying too much about it is just giving yourself an excuse to fail.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

I don't worry about it anymore. Way back when, I used it as an excuse when I wasn't making gains. If I had just eaten more, my time wouldn't have been wasted.

The original somatotype classification was aimed at determining an association between physique and temperament. The theories behind it are becoming passť and I don't believe have any bearing on a person's ability to build muscle.

-----
Edit: Soldier, didn't see your post above, but I proved you right. :-)

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

People need something more to focus on then just getting into the gym and putting in work...

Personally, I don't know the official definition of any of the 3, nor will I ever give a damn.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One thing I find entertaining, no offense meant, are the 15-16 year olds who aren't fully grown, yet make assumptions about their physiques.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
Body type, to me, in and of itself is nonsense.

I was a guy who looked like a classic ectomorph. I finally learned to train hard and now I look like a mesomorph.
The one thing that never made sense about the body type check was how a person goes about it; if your fingers meet around the wrist etc then you're an ecto (?) but an overweight person who may naturally be an ecto, if not overweight, will unlikely be able to get their fingers to meet around the wrist.

As you say, it alters; I think someone brought that point up on another forum but nobody understood what they were getting at and looked at them as if they had two heads.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoleramon View Post
Why is everyone obsessed with their body type? Someone on the forum once posted that we are a combination of all 3 and I get that we may be more ecto than endo or more meso that ecto but does it really matter? What's the point?

All I want to know is if this matters at all or if there is any reason to care.
It is how you body stores and burns fat,
Metab systems speed.

This is one of the first things you should know as a base to set up a nutrition or diet plan or you shooting in the dark. You may get some results but no ware near what you can truely get.

Just boils down to how detail you wish to be.
Every one labels skinny toothpicks "hard gainers" but they will never use the term "ectomorph" in which it the term that describing a hard gainer. lol

It easier to just use the laymans terms like "hard gainer" "husky" "average build"
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote