Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why is everyone obsessed with their body type? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7948)

swoleramon 11-17-2011 10:47 AM

Why is everyone obsessed with their body type?

Why is everyone obsessed with their body type? Someone on the forum once posted that we are a combination of all 3 and I get that we may be more ecto than endo or more meso that ecto but does it really matter? What's the point?

All I want to know is if this matters at all or if there is any reason to care.

5kgLifter 11-17-2011 10:50 AM

I'm not :) I think they feel that if they have a certain body type, that they can use a different diet or routine and get better results; whether that is the case or not though??

BendtheBar 11-17-2011 10:51 AM

I am glad I knew nothing about this when I was 18.

Being small-boned, weak and skinny fat I might have just joined the monastery.

Does it have any bearing on anything? Not really. As a natural if you want to be a competitive bodybuilder master conditioning and that will take you far.

Soldier 11-17-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 189845)
I'm not :) I think they feel that if they have a certain body type, that they can use a different diet or routine and get better results; whether that is the case or not though??

It's more like if they have a certain body type the have an excuse ready when they don't get the results they want.

MC 11-17-2011 10:59 AM

Body type, to me, in and of itself is nonsense.

I was a guy who looked like a classic ectomorph. I finally learned to train hard and now I look like a mesomorph.

If I stopped training and ate ice cream all day, I'd look like an endomorph in no time.

The types don't define anything about you. Worrying too much about it is just giving yourself an excuse to fail.

T-Bone 11-17-2011 11:00 AM

I don't worry about it anymore. Way back when, I used it as an excuse when I wasn't making gains. If I had just eaten more, my time wouldn't have been wasted.

The original somatotype classification was aimed at determining an association between physique and temperament. The theories behind it are becoming passť and I don't believe have any bearing on a person's ability to build muscle.

-----
Edit: Soldier, didn't see your post above, but I proved you right. :-)

Shadowschmadow 11-17-2011 11:01 AM

People need something more to focus on then just getting into the gym and putting in work...

Personally, I don't know the official definition of any of the 3, nor will I ever give a damn.

BendtheBar 11-17-2011 11:02 AM

One thing I find entertaining, no offense meant, are the 15-16 year olds who aren't fully grown, yet make assumptions about their physiques.

5kgLifter 11-17-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *MC* (Post 189851)
Body type, to me, in and of itself is nonsense.

I was a guy who looked like a classic ectomorph. I finally learned to train hard and now I look like a mesomorph.

The one thing that never made sense about the body type check was how a person goes about it; if your fingers meet around the wrist etc then you're an ecto (?) but an overweight person who may naturally be an ecto, if not overweight, will unlikely be able to get their fingers to meet around the wrist.

As you say, it alters; I think someone brought that point up on another forum but nobody understood what they were getting at and looked at them as if they had two heads.

Rich Knapp 11-17-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoleramon (Post 189843)
Why is everyone obsessed with their body type? Someone on the forum once posted that we are a combination of all 3 and I get that we may be more ecto than endo or more meso that ecto but does it really matter? What's the point?

All I want to know is if this matters at all or if there is any reason to care.

It is how you body stores and burns fat,
Metab systems speed.

This is one of the first things you should know as a base to set up a nutrition or diet plan or you shooting in the dark. You may get some results but no ware near what you can truely get.

Just boils down to how detail you wish to be. ;)
Every one labels skinny toothpicks "hard gainers" but they will never use the term "ectomorph" in which it the term that describing a hard gainer. lol

It easier to just use the laymans terms like "hard gainer" "husky" "average build"