Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default Pre-workout routine

Much of what I know about sports psychology comes from my side interest in golf. At one point I actually wanted to become a golf pro, teaching the game. A huge part of being comfortable in pressure filled situations is having a routine, which has definitely transfered to my lifting routine. I use my pre-workout routine to get myself focussed and to know that I'm completely prepared to put all of my focus into my lifting.

I thought it might make for an interesting discussion to talk about not only what you guys do to prepare yourself before you get to the gym, but also how important (or not important) you think a set pre-workout routine is to success in the gym.

Here's mine;

:35-:40 pre-workout-
1. Make my pre-workout drink.
2. Make my intra-workout drink and place in the freezer to cool down.

:10-:35 pre-workout-
1. Sip on pre-workout drink.
2. Go on youtube and watch motivational vids, either lifting stuff or music videos.
3. This is also where I finalize my plans for the gym. I try to have at least 2 movements chosen so I can mentally prepare specifically for them. This is also when I choose my focus for the day, wether that be short rest times and a faster pace, or slowing things down and focussing on lifting heavy.

:10 pre-workout-
1. Put on my shoes and any pieces of clothing I haven't put on yet. When I put on my shoes it's symbolic of pushing out everything else going on and putting my whole mind on the next hour.
2. Finish pre-workout drink.

At this point my mind is 100% focussed on the task at hand. I'm completely confident in the choices I've made about what movements and pacing I want to use for at least the first part of my session while still being open to where the session will take me.

When I'm finally able to block out everything else I immediately grab the intra drink from the freezer and my keys and go do what I have to do.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have my own set of rituals and preparations that I have to go through. I won't workout unless everything on my list is checked off.

First thing is socks. They must not be worn so they fall off my calves during lifting. I can't lift with socks around my ankles.

Second is clothing. On squat and deadlifts I must have a long sleeve shirt, hoodie or sweatshirt. On press days I must wear a t-shirt.

After this I put on my shoes and prepare my intra-workout drink which is almost always whey in 32 ounces of water. Once I have my whey and water I will grab my notebook and analyze my last workout for this lift and set goals.

Now I am ready for the dungeon. I have to prep my music before I do anything. I rarely listening to anything other than Slayer, old Metallica, Swashbuckle, Testament or Iron Witch. At times I listen to the same CD for months on end.

I always follow the same warmup protocol and weight progression, always starting with a big lift.

Keeping everything the same allows for me to comfortably focus on my workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I usually go straight from work to the gym. 2h pre - going trough the workout in my mind.1h pre - big dinner, always have alot of milk with this. 40 mins pre - Finishing up the paper work and starting to get focused. Drinking 2-4 cups of black coffe during. 20min pre - In the car, stopping by my home redressing and having my xtend and creatine. 10min pre - in the car, usually quiet and focused and not letting any "noise" in. This is not a good time to talk to me or ask me stuff
Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I have a pre-workout routine as well, as well as a little routine before I perform my heavy sets. About 45 minutes before I leave for the gym I turn off facebook, turn my phone off and focus on getting ready and mentally preparing myself.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training Ė and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Honestly the preparation for my training session begins the moment the last one has ended. By the time I have typed up the session on here, I am already thinking about what I am doing next. As I train Westside I rotate through exercises, I immediately start thinking about what the main work will be, what my goal will be and what assistance I will do.

In the week I start around lunchtime. I eat BIG to make sure I'm fuelled. Around 5pm I have a meal replacement shake and a caffeine tablet. At half six I leave the office and get in my car. It's a short ride to the gym so I pick two songs to get me in the mood. I get changed at the gym. Lace up my shoes and lather on the deep heat. Once I can smell that, I know it's go time.

I also train on Saturday morning which is different. I get up early with Mini LtL, change and feed her and then shovel some breakfast in quickly, normally just a whey shake. Then she'll have a nap and I eat some porridge, maybe some toast and another whey shake. Then I have no time to get psyched up at home. I might be able to get on here for a bit but that's it. Around 10:30 though I'll pass onto Mrs LtL, get dressed and it's go time. I'll have an energy drink in the car, angry music on and by the time I hit the gym and deep heat up, I'm ready to go.

Learning what gets you ready to train and being able to switch that on is a key skill.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Honestly the preparation for my training session begins the moment the last one has ended. By the time I have typed up the session on here, I am already thinking about what I am doing next. As I train Westside I rotate through exercises, I immediately start thinking about what the main work will be, what my goal will be and what assistance I will do.
In this respect I'm the same as Ltl, I map out roughly what I'll be doing based on the previous session.

But in regards to pre-session rituals or routines, I have none. I go out and lift.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
runwithme
Brawn
Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8 Points: 428, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

runwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality postsrunwithme has made some quality posts

Drink some water, do some simple stretching exercises, walk for a few minutes and then I am off running. I run a few miles, then cool down, do some weights and then cool down and stretch some more.
runwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I usually have a banana and a coffee before I go, then I get changed and lift weights.

I guess I can see the power of rituals, but they're not for me. I find it very hard to participate in any sort of ritual without feeling a bit silly.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

I usually write down in my log book the night before the weights and such and then think about what I intend to push for and usually start thinking/visualising it. Sometimes I'll have goals set up in my mind for a few weeks and I'll think about them a lot each session building to them.

I get up at 5:30am get food and then go over previous logs seeing what I wrote about how I felt with each exercise. I'll be watching videos on youtube about form and generally big weights being moved and by the time I leave for the gym I'm ready to lift.

7:00am, first in and get going. Most days music is just to block out anything around me, always metal, always heavy but I don't really pay attention. Always Slayer on deadlift days though, works a treat.

I wouldn't say it's a ritual but I am one for routine so I tend to stick to this.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Slayer, old Metallica, Swashbuckle, Testament or Iron Witch. At times I listen to the same CD for months on end.
I've never listened to Swashbuckle or Testament but the rest make up most of my gym music. Seasons in the Abyss is my deadlift soundtrack.