Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Pre-workout routine

Much of what I know about sports psychology comes from my side interest in golf. At one point I actually wanted to become a golf pro, teaching the game. A huge part of being comfortable in pressure filled situations is having a routine, which has definitely transfered to my lifting routine. I use my pre-workout routine to get myself focussed and to know that I'm completely prepared to put all of my focus into my lifting.

I thought it might make for an interesting discussion to talk about not only what you guys do to prepare yourself before you get to the gym, but also how important (or not important) you think a set pre-workout routine is to success in the gym.

Here's mine;

:35-:40 pre-workout-
1. Make my pre-workout drink.
2. Make my intra-workout drink and place in the freezer to cool down.

:10-:35 pre-workout-
1. Sip on pre-workout drink.
2. Go on youtube and watch motivational vids, either lifting stuff or music videos.
3. This is also where I finalize my plans for the gym. I try to have at least 2 movements chosen so I can mentally prepare specifically for them. This is also when I choose my focus for the day, wether that be short rest times and a faster pace, or slowing things down and focussing on lifting heavy.

:10 pre-workout-
1. Put on my shoes and any pieces of clothing I haven't put on yet. When I put on my shoes it's symbolic of pushing out everything else going on and putting my whole mind on the next hour.
2. Finish pre-workout drink.

At this point my mind is 100% focussed on the task at hand. I'm completely confident in the choices I've made about what movements and pacing I want to use for at least the first part of my session while still being open to where the session will take me.

When I'm finally able to block out everything else I immediately grab the intra drink from the freezer and my keys and go do what I have to do.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links