Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts
Default Is running catabolic?

I just read a quote on another forum from a bodybuilder and he said that running was catabolic. Is it really a catabolic if you're only doing 20 minutes a day?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Lots of things we do are catabolic, but I would just say that long distance steady state running is definitely not conducive to building mass. I do know, however, that I am forced to do some running and I don't feel like it's cost me much mass.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
I just read a quote on another forum from a bodybuilder and he said that running was catabolic. Is it really a catabolic if you're only doing 20 minutes a day?
I don't think it is but I'm not going to risk it just in case

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

There was a time in my life where I was very paranoid about things that were catabolic. Some of these are old school, so I'm sure they will date me.

--Running
--Staying active on rest days
--Caffeine
--Training longer than an hour

My opinion...

If you're not cutting you can pretty much do anything in moderation as long as you are training hard and eating right.

If you are cutting then you might want to limit excesses that might be considered catabolic.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

According to the physiology texts I am neck deep in these days, running would be catabolic, but not a significant detriment to nitrogen balance as the muscles and other organs should prefer fatty acids and glucose for fuel. Suppose it depends a lot on how long you run, and in my case, how much wind I am sucking (which is a lot)
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I don't see running as catabolic, rather i see it as asking my body to do the opposite of what I want it to do. When I strength train I'm asking my body to get bigger and more powerful (maximal force). If I was to start running distances I'd be asking my body to get smaller and and have greater endurance (minimal force). I would find it hard to be successful at either one if I was asking it to do polar opposites.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I don't see running as catabolic, rather i see it as asking my body to do the opposite of what I want it to do. When I strength train I'm asking my body to get bigger and more powerful (maximal force). If I was to start running distances I'd be asking my body to get smaller and and have greater endurance (minimal force). I would find it hard to be successful at either one if I was asking it to do polar opposites.
Very good point, and a quote to remember.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

20 minutes a day isn't going to hurt your gains if you're eating appropriately, and if its not inhibiting your ability to train/recover.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I do 15-30 minutes of jogging 3 times a week on non training days. I sit on my ass all day as I work from home. There is something very wrong if such a minimal amount of activity had a major effect. I basically do it for conditioning.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
piatraelfa
New Brawn
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

piatraelfa is off to a bad start

It may be, but it's not that catabolic as you may think.
Ask any good doctor and he will say that it is very hard to activate catabolism, especially with 30-40 minutes cardio sessions.
From my point of view, extreme dieting is more catabolic than running.
piatraelfa is offline   Reply With Quote