Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poll: Which Back Exercises Do You Use And Why? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7659)

BendtheBar 10-21-2011 09:58 AM

Poll: Which Back Exercises Do You Use And Why?

Which back exercises do you use and why?

You may choose more than one exercise category.

Shadowschmadow 10-21-2011 09:59 AM

All about the pendlay rows. Anyone who does a couple heavy sets of those knows there is no need for an explanation. :)

glwanabe 10-21-2011 10:02 AM

I use all except the machines at the curent time. In the past I did also use machines.

BendtheBar 10-21-2011 10:02 AM

I used deadlifts, Pendlay and dumbbell rows, Olympic lifts and occasionally rack chins.

My main goal with back work is to assist the deadlift.

Shadowschmadow 10-21-2011 10:05 AM

Damn it! I didn't see that I could choose more than one choice.

I use deadlifts, rows and pull ups. I also use back extensions, but not for strength. I find that back extensions and ab exercises are great for loosening up your lower back after a heavy deadlift session.

storm1507 10-21-2011 10:09 AM

All except Olympic lifts.

Soldier 10-21-2011 10:17 AM

Everyone should do pullups. If you can't, put something like a chair or bench under the pullup bar and use your legs to spot you. That's still far better than doing pulldowns. Vary how wide your hands are and which way they are facing whenever you feel like it.

Everyone should also do dumbell rows. Grab the heaviest dumbell you can hold and use every fiber of your being to pull it to your side as many times as possible. Don't try to "squeeze" or "focus on the muscle", just pull the sucker as hard as you can. Once you can't do any more just imagine that the weight is your baby hanging over a well and pull it a few more times.

If everyone did these two things intead of machine rows and pull downs they'd be far better off.

Abaddon 10-21-2011 10:27 AM

I do them all except for pull ups, and that's coz I can only lift my BW twice.
I would have thought there is a place for most or all of these movements in an advanced lifters repertoire.

BendtheBar 10-21-2011 10:29 AM

Back in my golden era the magazines never really stressed deadlifts or pullups much. I regret not sticking with pullups as a staple.

Shadowschmadow 10-21-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abaddon (Post 182518)
I do them all except for pull ups, and that's coz I can only lift my BW twice.
I would have thought there is a place for most or all of these movements in an advanced lifters repertoire.

Lose the weight or work with assistance machines. Pull ups are an excellent exercise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 182519)
Back in my golden era the magazines never really stressed deadlifts or pullups much. I regret not sticking with pullups as a staple.

I bet... Ah, the things we learn. ;)