Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default My secret bicep building workout

Just having a little fun...

I realized today why I am able to build my arms without arm work. I work my arms loading plates for squats and deadlifts.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Chillen
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just having a little fun...

I realized today why I am able to build my arms without arm work. I work my arms loading plates for squats and deadlifts.
You dont see skinny guys, running around with big arms. Or, see arms largely disproportionate to the rest of the body (with the exception of stupid site injections), which common sense, says, that the facilitators of ALL upper work (the arms), grow in size as body weight increases and work the larger muscle groups of the body. It just makes sense, that the facilitators of the larger muscle groups of the upper body, will grow in strength and size as the larger muscle groups are trained.

Keep loading the plates, bro!

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Kuytrider
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I have noticed that my BB curls are more or less static even as I make progress in compound lifts. I'd say it's down to fatigue because when I do my one sessions of curls a week, I have completed 3-4 big lifts. The only direct tricep work I do are weighted dips, the bench and shoulder press give plenty of stimulation. Arm work is fine, but only after hitting legs, chest, shoulders and back.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I didn't look at first, but was wondering who started this thread... Isn't there some kind of unwritten rule about trolling your own website?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Arm work is fine, but only after hitting legs, chest, shoulders and back.
Absolutely.

I don't want my post to sound anti-arm work. It just struck me last night that I do quite a few 45 pound plate curls each week.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Absolutely.

I don't want my post to sound anti-arm work. It just struck me last night that I do quite a few 45 pound plate curls each week.
So do I...loading that leg press with 16 plates gives me a nice little "upper" day, when I'm working the "lower".

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I work my biceps by sitting in front of the mirror at home and flexing them over and over and over and over again.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Abaddon
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5 years total
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

^I gave this a helpful post rating.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I work my biceps by sitting in front of the mirror at home and flexing them over and over and over and over again.
Dear god, you brought back memories... Horrible memories...

For starters, this is totally true - its too stupid to make up. We had a guy come on another forum who insisted he didn't need to workout. He considered flexing every muscle in his body, periodically throughout the day, was enough stimulus. IIRC, he called it his lazy man's routine, but took it very seriously. He actually argued it so much that he ended up getting banned from the forum. The stupidity was unbearable.

No doubt, this guy had issues.