Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!
Default Front squats made easier

Quote:
Front squats also keep you honest. If you cheat, you drop the bar, simple as that. For this reason, many strength coaches consider the front squat to be a better lower body strength test than the mighty back squat. It also creates a built-in safety mechanism.
T NATION | Front Squats Made Easier
Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
PrimalBeard
Brawn
Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Capsaicin
PrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributor

Thanks for posting this. I had been curious how to hold one of those. This should be fun.
PrimalBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Front squats are fun shit, and my tip of the day is to practice the clean grip. Its well worth the pain =)
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I got lucky early on in my training by being a part of my high school weightlifting team. Unfortunately our coach had no clue how to train the clean, but I still had plenty of time with a bar on my chest. Now when I do front squats I use the cross arm grip, but that's just because I broke my wrist in high school and have never been able to maintain a good clean grip since.

It's true that if you have the bar in the right place you can actually take your hands off the bar. I'm always very lightly touching the bar, if at all.

The REAL trick is putting the bar down when your done and not using a squat rack or bumper plates. I've mastered the technique of actually dropping the bar and catching it with my hands. That movement alone has probably given me half of my biceps development.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
piatraelfa
New Brawn
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

piatraelfa is off to a bad start

While I was into powerlifting, Judas from Fortified Iron adviced me to do a lot of front squats in order to improve the core. It was AWESOME!
However, what I wanted to say in the first place, was that learning the front squat using a smith machine doesn't seem doable at all, basically because the machine is drastically limitating the range of motion, and generally speaking, takes a lof of effort, effort that should have been made by the stabilizer muscles, not to say that you can't front squat properly at a machine.
piatraelfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
emekajokammor
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Front squats are fun shit, and my tip of the day is to practice the clean grip. Its well worth the pain =)
Agreed. Couldn't agree more! Tremendous difference in form and weight for me when i use that grip

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote