Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I was always taught that it was best to get into a sleeping rhythm by going to bed and getting up at the same time every day. I more or less follow this. On the weekends, I might allow myself an extra hour, but that usually means I was up an hour later as well.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

A co-worker of mine averages 2-3 hours of sleep and gets 4 on a good day. He says on weekends he may get about 6-7 hours.

I'm still working on a theory as to how he's not dead... Or completely worn the **** out at least.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventySeven View Post
MAYBE i do,wanna fight about it.

Maybe you just need to gird up your testicles and get to bed.

There! How do you like that answer? Huh Canada?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
MAYBE i do,wanna fight about it.
I got $100 says she whoops your ass.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
I was always taught that it was best to get into a sleeping rhythm by going to bed and getting up at the same time every day. I more or less follow this. On the weekends, I might allow myself an extra hour, but that usually means I was up an hour later as well.
I agree, having a routine on sleep is good. I go to bed around 12 7 days a week and alarm sounds at 8 on workdays, 10-11 on weekends. Have been on this patter for 2 years straight and its great =)
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
On average mon-fri i get 6 hours at night and a 2 hour nap. Is there a major difference between this and say a straight 8 hours?
I am good for 9-10 straight on sat sun.
I learned long ago, while in the military (more specifically), that the body can and will perform and rebuild, with as little as 4 to 5 hours of sleep.

Did I like this, absolutely not. But it did point to a learned lesson that could applicable toward living life. While the body performs most of its prime repair (etc, etc), while we sleep, these types of activities actually take place 24 hours per day, and is on-going continually.

While in the short term, I don't think 2 hours makes much difference, in the long term, this may be a different story per person. I wouldn't personally fret over 2 hours if your feeling good, energetic, etc, but this is per person dependent.

Personally, (even at 50), I strive for about 6. Getting more than this I tend to get the more tired-feeling throughout the day. So, as I live life I target about 6, even when I do turn-arounds for work and workout is scheduled.

I let my body "tell me" but "not dictacte" how much sleep I need. Trust me you have to have your "bull-shit-o-meter" on high alert when dealing with one's body: It will lie and sometimes tell you the truth. Deciphering which is the complication.

So I run some common sense applications through my mind such as: How much sleep I have been getting this week (or so), mentally run through my diet (though I still write this down), frequency and volume of training (though I write this down), work stresses and length, etc, to see if there are any red flags.

Sometimes 2 hours to me, is a BIG deal. It can make difference whether I train or not, going from 6 to 8 hours, dependent on amount of work hours, and the amount of turnarounds I do. So deciding to crack the whip on my old ass or not is a big deal as I live this life. I more often crack the whip (when passing the basic common sense tests), and have had great workouts when I felt tired going in, but absolutely great while working out (the body sucks balls, damn it).

You guys every get the feeling the body doesn't like ya much, sometimes, and flat out lies to get you do something else?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 10-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
You guys every get the feeling the body doesn't like ya much, sometimes, and flat out lies to get you do something else?
My body HATES being exercised
Some of my best workouts have been well I felt like crap going in. On Tuesday, I felt great and although I did some great work, I was more tired than usual by the end.
The body is a bitch alright!
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

I forgot how well I sleep when I train regularly. Lol... You could shoot a gun off and I might not wake up. I don't toss and turn or nothing; just kind of lay their like a dead body. The wife has said that she has poked me in the past to make sure I'm still breathing. Lmao...