Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default People with high cholesterol live longer

Since we are talking about high cholesterol today, I thought I would post this for discussion:

The Benefits of High Cholesterol - Weston A Price Foundation

Quote:
People with high cholesterol live the longest. This statement seems so incredible that it takes a long time to clear one´s brainwashed mind to fully understand its importance. Yet the fact that people with high cholesterol live the longest emerges clearly from many scientific papers. Consider the finding of Dr. Harlan Krumholz of the Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Yale University, who reported in 1994 that old people with low cholesterol died twice as often from a heart attack as did old people with a high cholesterol.
Quote:
Now consider that more than 90 % of all cardiovascular disease is seen in people above age 60 also and that almost all studies have found that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for women.2 This means that high cholesterol is only a risk factor for less than 5 % of those who die from a heart attack.
Quote:
Many studies have found that low cholesterol is in certain respects worse than high cholesterol. For instance, in 19 large studies of more than 68,000 deaths, reviewed by Professor David R. Jacobs and his co-workers from the Division of Epidemiology at the University of Minnesota, low cholesterol predicted an increased risk of dying from gastrointestinal and respiratory diseases.3

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I had my cholesterol levels checkd around 4-5 years ago, can't recall why, but I was told it was high and given a dietary sheet to make changes; though, I was also told I was NOT in the high risk group...so where was the point of the cholesterol check? Which is an interesting question.

You have high cholesterol...but, don't concern yourself, apart from altering diet and such, because, well, your high cholesterol taken into account with other factors, such as non-smoking, non-overweight etc...don't count anyway??

A very confusing message.

Anyway, the elderly neighbour (now deceased) informed me that his was 1/2 of mine and he'd still had a heart attack; he didn't want to worry me...yup, not what I wanted to hear, at the time. I went off and did research on poly/mono/sat fats and such and came to the conclusion that poly's were a big issue from all the studies I read during the following weeks, which is in direct contradiction to the diet sheets being handed out.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
You have high cholesterol...but, don't concern yourself, apart from altering diet and such, because, well, your high cholesterol taken into account with other factors, such as non-smoking, non-overweight etc...don't count anyway??
I always boil health down to the basics:

--Do you rely on processed foods? Clean this up.
--Do you smoke? Stop.
--Do you drink more than socially? Stop.
--Is your diet unbalanced? Balance it.
--Are you overweight? Eat less.
--Do you get winded walking to the mail box? Indication that your body is not functioning as designed. Do something about it.
--Are you avoiding fat? Stop. Fat does not make you fat.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I always boil health down to the basics:

--Do you rely on processed foods? Clean this up.
--Do you smoke? Stop.
--Do you drink more than socially? Stop.
--Is your diet unbalanced? Balance it.
--Are you overweight? Eat less.
--Do you get winded walking to the mail box? Indication that your body is not functioning as designed. Do something about it.
--Are you avoiding fat? Stop. Fat does not make you fat.
Yep!

The weird thing is nobody ever asked what I ate, they just jumped on the assumption bandwagon that because cholesterol was up then the diet had to be the culprit.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68 Points: 10,591, Level: 68
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

I had a physical back in June, with the awesomest doctor I've ever met BTW, and I had normal LDL, slightly low HDL, and normal everything else from BP to urine protein. At that time my diet was nearly 100% carnivorous and completely grain free (I've made a point to add some veggies since then) and I was doing 0 cardio. He told me that the government mandates the correlation between dietary and blood cholesterol even though evidence suggests none and that in his experience dietary changes do very little if anything to change blood cholesterol.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

I always get annoyed that people don't make the notion that there is more than 1 kind of cholesterol.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I know a guy who is an alcoholic and has had this problem for years. He never exercises, eats a less than healthy diet and is a good 20-30 pounds overweight. He had his cholesterol checked and his HDL and LDL were normal.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Yeah, some people just suck Kuyt. Some people just suck...
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Yeah, some people just suck Kuyt. Some people just suck...
Haha, yeah, hubby's cholesterol and BP is always pretty much spot on and mine seldom is ...but he deserves a break, with all the other ailments.