Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   chocolate milk (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7487)

Mr.Silverback 10-01-2011 11:17 AM

chocolate milk

here:s a piece I wrote about choco milk, enjoy

Post workout: Chocolate milk?

We all love chocolate and many of us love milk too, so someone decided to to combine the two and make the glorious creation known as chocolate milk. But did you know that drinking chocolate milk can yield the same benefits as a post workout drink? Yes you read that right, drink chocolate milk after a workout and it has the same benfits as your expensive post-workout drink/shake. This is where the fitness buffs, meatheads, and gurus sit back and call BS! Oh yes they are scratching their heads, crying out foul, saying my credentials are fake, possibly even petitioning against me! So what!!! Get over it and stop lying to the general public about information you already knew!

According to a study; post-exercise biopsies showed increased skeletal muscle protein synthesis. A sign that muscles were better able to build after consuming milk as opposed to a carb-only drink.(webmd,2011) Chocolate milk is an ideal solution post workout because it already has many of the nutrients that are found in sports drinks and shakes such as sugar and sodium that aid in replenshing energy and retaining water. Now I am not saying don't drink your expensive sports drinks/pwo (post workout drinks) by all means go for it. I am merely offering a solution to those like myself who train hard and are on a budget! I love my shakes post workout when I can afford the opportunity, but I will just as quickly drink me some good ole' fashion chocolate milk!

What about the guys/gals who want to watch their weight but still enjoy chocolate milk? Go low fat! Same benefit, just 1/3 of the calories! Mix it with you protein shake for the ultimate win/win, I'm just saying folks a little chocolate milk never hurt anyone!

5kgLifter 10-01-2011 11:25 AM

I don't think the fat content of milk would be an issue for those wanting to lose weight, just don't have as much of the full-fat stuff. Studies have also shown that people who drink milk tend to have lower bodyfat counts than those that don't; so, milk choc shake/drinks all the way! (if you're not intolerant/allergic, of course)

bamazav 10-01-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 176618)
I don't think the fat content of milk would be an issue for those wanting to lose weight, just don't have as much of the full-fat stuff. Studies have also shown that people who drink milk tend to have lower bodyfat counts than those that don't; so, milk choc shake/drinks all the way! (if you're not intolerant/allergic, of course)

would like to see these studies. You have links?

In US, Over The Moon makes a no fat chocolate milk that I love, problem is all the stores that used to carry it around here have stopped carrying it.

http://www.overthemoonmilk.com/products/chocolate.aspx

Mr.Silverback 10-01-2011 11:37 AM

Gracias 5kg, that is true! I have been really researching this and have been fighting the good fight. As my business partner thinks I'm completely nuts for offering choco milk as a pwo drink. Clearly he hasn't done enough homework ;-)

5kgLifter 10-01-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 176619)
would like to see these studies. You have links?

In US, Over The Moon makes a no fat chocolate milk that I love, problem is all the stores that used to carry it around here have stopped carrying it.

Over the Moon Chocolate Milk

I have the links somewhere but with the amount of links and info I've collected I tend to just relate the basic info due to not knowing where the link is located any longer; it was probably over 4 years ago, or more, when I found the info...so, would have no idea as to exactly where I stored it.

Pretty sure you may be able to readily locate something if you Google the main points though. :) Unless, the info was from a book which I'm thinking it may well have been...even so, you might be able to find something online.

big valsalva 10-01-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback (Post 176620)
Gracias 5kg, that is true! I have been really researching this and have been fighting the good fight. As my business partner thinks I'm completely nuts for offering choco milk as a pwo drink. Clearly he hasn't done enough homework ;-)

Time to get a new business partner.

5kgLifter 10-01-2011 11:48 AM

I just remembered where I'd read it, it's from a book called Power Food: The Guy's Guide to Getting Stronger, Leaner... by Susan M Kleiner. (pg 369)

The title is a bit long-winded but I'm not even sure you can buy the book since I got it direct and not via a shop, some years ago now.

bamazav 10-01-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 176626)
I just remembered where I'd read it, it's from a book called Power Food: The Guy's Guide to Getting Stronger, Leaner... by Susan M Kleiner. (pg 369)

The title is a bit long-winded but I'm not even sure you can buy the book since I got it direct and not via a shop, some years ago now.

I found the following articles, though I have not searched exhaustively.

Skim milk compared with a fruit drink acutely... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Milk Drinkers May Lose More Weight

big valsalva 10-01-2011 12:35 PM

Here's one I found interesting. Not necessarily what bama was looking for, but fuel for the thread nonetheless.

An Objective Comparison of Chocolate Milk and Surge Recovery | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Rich Knapp 10-01-2011 01:43 PM

Common sense. Chocolate milk has more carbs so its the same as a whey protein shake made with carbs added.
Just to get enough protein and carbs you have to drink about 16 oz or so.

8 oz is on average only 16 g of protein. ;)