Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
i usually stop by the store and get me 1 liter of chocolate milk when done at the gym. 35g protein, 700 cals, and its delicious
For years I drank 32 ounces of chocolate milk and a cherry pie post-workout. Then I would go home and eat dinner.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Drink choco milk (pretty good pwo and less expensive)
Drink Pwo shake
Eat lots and lots of whole foods!

Trust me, all of these are very good PWO/Before WO/anytime of the day!

Now eat big and lift big!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
i usually stop by the store and get me 1 liter of chocolate milk when done at the gym. 35g protein, 700 cals, and its delicious
Agreed. That's my same general game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For years I drank 32 ounces of chocolate milk and a cherry pie post-workout. Then I would go home and eat dinner.
I've done the same countless times, subbbing a glazed donut for the cherry pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
I've heard that chocolate milk is almost the perfect ratio of carbs/protein. It's the "poor mans" PW shake. Prolly just lacks some of the BCAA's/glutamine the expensive stuff has.
I've heard the same, but I disagree with the "poor man's" description. Chocolate milk is expensive. At least here in dairyland.

I don't know of any real benefit. They say there's some magical anabolic window that opens up immediately post workout (as if your body knows you're done), and remains open only briefly. Its probably a Weiderism to sell supplements. On the other hand, what could be the harm? I'm usually thirsty after a session. Might as well chug a quart of water with some fortification.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Drink choco milk (pretty good pwo and less expensive)
Drink Pwo shake
Eat lots and lots of whole foods!

Trust me, all of these are very good PWO/Before WO/anytime of the day!

Now eat big and lift big!
I love you, man.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

It's all about chocomilk post-workout.

Or just swig 2 pints of milk and a bar of chocolate in my case!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #16
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

When I was still doing carbs I would usually chug at least a couple cups of milk after a session, right when I got home. It has more protein than chocolate milk, and more carbs that a protein shake, and I figured the middle ground was the place to be.

Either that or I go straight to Subway after training. All the breads are simple carbs (yup, even the wheat bread) and the subs with chicken all have some good protein in there too.

These days, going low carb and cutting, I don't worry about post workout nutrition. I take BCAA's during, sometimes with a little protein in there too. Other than that I only eat when I'm really hungry, and that usually isn't right after a session.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
Aurik
SFHW = Win
Max Brawn
Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46 Points: 5,197, Level: 46
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1-2
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Kettlebells, for now
Fav Supp: XTend
Aurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributorAurik is a dedicated contributor

After a solid workout I'm absolutely ravenous, so a PWO shake will at least tide me over until I can get a whole meal in. If, for example, I'm having a meal with Mrs A immediately after the workout, I'll forego the shake.
Valentin Konstantin Platz
Aurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #18
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
Your BFF,
MC

I lol'd.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
It's all about chocomilk post-workout.

Or just swig 2 pints of milk and a bar of chocolate in my case!
And here I thought I was the only one.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
After a solid workout I'm absolutely ravenous, so a PWO shake will at least tide me over until I can get a whole meal in. If, for example, I'm having a meal with Mrs A immediately after the workout, I'll forego the shake.
This reminds me of the saying we heard when kids...

"Work up an appetite."

Our grandparents knew that when they worked, they required fuel. So when we work hard, eat more fuel. Put in the tank what you just took out.