Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Question Car drivers...

When you're driving, or waiting for lights etc, do you rest your leg towards the driver's door (the side of the road you drive on will dictate which leg that is)? Splaying the legs for comfort also counts as resting the leg.

Will update and add to either this post or this thread, when I've got some info that may interest you from a DVD that I have. Stay tuned.

Update

When sitting in a car the driver's leg normally turns outward toward the door panel and the foot curls up under the steering wheel; this causes the soleus muscle to go into spasm, the IT Band and the Piriformis muscle also go into spasm which can then lead to compression in the lower back (L4/L5) most notably you'll bulge discs to the side that you are not turning the leg toward (left-side driver, rightside disc bulge and vice versa) which will then cause a pelvic tilt which appears to give you a leg length discrepancy.

One way to address the issue, to prevent this occurring, is to place a block of foam between your thigh/leg and the door so that external rotation of the hip cannot take place.

Whilst it may not seem a lot, people spend a lot of time seated and this has an impact on training; it may not be your training that is causing your lower back issues but your seated position. The same seated position then gets transferred to desk work and the biomechanics of the body are totally off when you stand up; a block placed between the thighs can help in this situation.

All of the muscles, areas mentioned above, need to be addressed and strengthened as well as lengthened, through appropriate exercises as well as a need for addressing the seated posture, all of which will have a great carry-over to your training.

I hope that has helped.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 09-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
When you're driving, or waiting for lights etc, do you rest your leg towards the driver's door (the side of the road you drive on will dictate which leg that is)?
Yes

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Yes
This would also mean that you possibly sit in much the same way when in a normal chair (office style hard plastic chair), with the legs comfortably turned outward, or at least one of them.

Stay tuned! Once I've watched the DVD again, I'll add the info in to the first post...hopefully by Friday/Saturday at the latest.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 34
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
This would also mean that you possibly sit in much the same way when in a normal chair (office style hard plastic chair), with the legs comfortably turned outward, or at least one of them.
Yes, actually, I rarely sit on furniture. I tend sit on the floor, usually in a butterfly or double lateral split.

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Yes, actually, I rarely sit on furniture. I tend sit on the floor, usually in a butterfly or double lateral split.
LOL, snap, I seldom sit on chairs, I prefer the floor too...I used to sleep on the floor, when I went to hospital that bed seemed mighty high off the ground Anyway, I digress...

...sitting on the floor may be slightly different because both legs will be taking equal strain with a solid base, unlike on a seat/chair, as long as the leg that's on top is swapped to make both sides get even over and under positions since there is more stress placed on the topmost (I think) leg in the crossed leg position.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I do. Cars never seem to have enough leg room for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Then the info will be of interest; I'm not posting it yet because I want to be accurate as to which muscles it is that are addressed on the DVD and I can't remember off the top of my head, so once I've rewatched it, I can take notes and edit the first post accordingly with info that will be of benefit.

I was surprised though, when I sat and thought about all the people I see waiting in doctor's waiting areas and the way they sit; it rung a bell.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I drive with my left foot flat on the floorboard and leg at a 90 degree angle. My right leg (gas pedal) is slung out. And now that you mention it, that's the same way I sit in chairs. Weird.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I'm pretty sure I do. Will double check on the drive home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This is because you need an SUV, big man!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

I dont know, but you can bet your butt I will be thinking about it when i drive home

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote