Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lumberjack Squat vs. Goblet Squat (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7241)

BendtheBar 09-03-2011 12:36 PM

Lumberjack Squat vs. Goblet Squat

Has anyone tried the lumberjack squat? Just wondering how it feels in comparison to a goblet squat.

5kgLifter 09-03-2011 12:42 PM

Haven't tried it, yet. But, to compare them, maybe someone should try both with the exact same weightload and see how they measure up in terms of how they hit muscles, the fatigue (in arms etc), and obviously how much it is possible to go up to with goblet squats.

Somehow, I imagine they won't hit in the same way as goblet squats because there is a degree of angularity (??, is that even a word) in the upward/downward movement whereas goblet squats will be ALL quad/hamstring.

BendtheBar 09-03-2011 12:48 PM

I am going to give them a go this week. One of the challenges with goblet squats is getting a heavy dumbbell into place. This obvious is easier. It would also allow for quicker weight changes for me, as well as heavier weight. We shall see...

5kgLifter 09-03-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 167562)
I am going to give them a go this week. One of the challenges with goblet squats is getting a heavy dumbbell into place. This obvious is easier. It would also allow for quicker weight changes for me, as well as heavier weight. We shall see...

Yep, that's where the "horns" of a KB work wonders, easier to hold; so, if you can make a handle for the dumbbells in order for you to be able to hold it at a different angle, that might make it slightly easier on the grip/hold/placement issue that goblet squats cause.

BendtheBar 09-03-2011 06:35 PM

Tried the lift and it was very taxing. Core was worked hard. It also taxed the front delts and chest.

Very much like a goblet squat.

Aurik 09-03-2011 07:06 PM

When I hear about Lumberjack Squats, all I can think of is, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK... I work all night and I sleep all day"

Fazc 09-03-2011 07:30 PM

Looks interesting. I'd only be concerned about poundage potential, you're limited by what your hands can hold up.

BendtheBar 09-03-2011 09:26 PM

I don't think I'll get that high. 2 plates was taxing as is.

5kgLifter 09-04-2011 10:27 AM

Can't the barbell end be balanced on the shoulder, with some padding? Thereby taking out the arm usage.

BendtheBar 09-04-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 167776)
Can't the barbell end be balanced on the shoulder, with some padding? Thereby taking out the arm usage.

It could but you still need to grip the handle. With this movement you need to lean into the weight at the top because of the arc involved. The lower the bar comes the longer the distance between the ends of the bar becomes, so you must set your feet back enough so that you can squat.