Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default The Science in Handling Ourselves.

We spend an extraordinary amount of time on our training programs and diet, and so little time and effort on "how to deal with" the "daily" challenges that we all face while living life, wanting to exercise, and using our diets for certain personal goals.

Like the saying:

You can lead a horse to the trough, but you cannot make the horse drink the water.

The gym and its equipment are always there waiting, and the diet basics and requirements never change and likewise waits for execution. Its getting the body to execute consistent enough that is the problem.

Motivational quotes are great, but it goes much deeper than this. To deal with "side effects" of ourselves, we have to get personal and specific in the individual challeges we face each day.

We shouldn't be suprised they come, we should expect them and in my opinion, be proactive in handling them.

Like the old Godfather quote:

Draw your friends close, but your enemies closer.

For example:

We know diet and exercise are our friends. But they have enemies: There are side effects of diet (for one dieting down to lose fat tissue), there are hunger pains (etc), and other biological functions that effect our psychology as the diet progresses and implemented.

How THIS is handled can make or break a person with this sort of goal. At the start they "may" learn some basics and set up a diet to lose tissue. Sure this is fine and good--until the side effects start to kick in to full biological swing, and THEN things start to change.

I am making this thread for "these" sorts of issues, where we can discuss practical solutions more tailored to the person and lifestyle.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I am making this thread for "these" sorts of issues, where we can discuss practical solutions more tailored to the person and lifestyle.
One of the huge mistakes I made was not dieting to my strengths. I am a big night eater, and if I don't ave a lot of calories for dinner and after I break.

I have learned to keep at least 4-5 food items in the house that satisfy cravings in case of emergency.

--Pickles for that salty craving
--Tomatoes (with salt)
--Fat Free pudding for that ice cream craving
--Pork rinds and salsa for that chip and salsa craving
--Tomato juice. Fills my stomach when I feel hungry.

Not only did I learn to eat around my strengths, but also to have a backup plan to address my weaknesses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn

Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Default I will start with diet to lose tissue.

We all have diets. We have to eat to live. There is no way around it.

People start specifically targeted diets to lean down for a variety of personal reasons: Health, vanity, leaning after a bulk period, a show, whatever, etc, etc.

A simple premise: Assuming one learns the basics, where they learn their personal Maintenance-Line (MT-Line), and learn they have to back calories below this level to lose tissue, a few things are obvious:

1. You depriving the body of calories

2. You are going to be hungry because you depriving the body of calories.

3. There will be psychological and biological feedback you are not going to like very much because of 1 and 2.

4. Personality tendencies and traits as it relates to 1, 2, and 3.

The problem here is that most will address the basic mechanics of tissue loss, but do not do anything to teach themselves how to address the side effects of 1 through 4, which is the main culprits that derail their tissue loss attempts.

There are many in this position, and there are many that are not in this position that still fight the side effects of themselves while dieting down.

When you begin, examine yourself. Look at 1 through 4. As you move along and experience these side effects, get a plan into action, and reshape your thoughts, but still you are going to have to: WANT IT. Setting up a plan will assist you to gain strength when you need it the most.

DO NOT "sugar coat" anything. Bare your soul, open it up. Accept the truth. There is no other way to implant ingredients to improve the self than beginning from a "truth base".

If you cannot afford a personal trainer.

You have to become "your own personal trainer."

A lot joining the forum, miss this valid point.

And, you reach in an grab the passion and desire to educate yourself in doing just that, then you surround yourself with the equipment you can afford to work with to get the goal you desire completed.

Then apply yourself, pressing education in what you are doing.

We are pressing more than body weight and/or weights here. We have to press the brain cells in our goal path.

When you fall and make mistakes, you get up infinite amount of times it takes, until you reach your goal destination using what you educated yourself with and adjust/adapt to bodily feedback.

Be an "appropriate" slave driver, and you will learn the body can withstand more than you original thought.

I say this to make a point. Know your personal limitations, embrace them. Accept them as they are. But, do NOT ALLOW it to hinder your TRUE abilities. We all have abilities, we just have to bring them out, and work with, and not against our personal limitations or tendencies.

And, YOU decide when its over and how far you can take your body and what nature has given you.

A personal test to see if you are finished:

Do you have a blood pulse? Was that a yes?

Then it isnt over.

However, it will take some pre-work and personal development time to get it started. And, this begins with the "degree of seriousness" you personally have for your personal diet and fitness choice, and the willingness to garner the knowledge "necessary" to understand yourself within this diet and fitness knowledge, and then appropriately and personally applying it within your life to allow you to earn your goal you seek.

1. Take some time and seek knowledge of the almighty calorie and energy balance. Really and truly understand this. A lot of persons can discouraged through lack of knowledge in what there trying to do and--how to properly adapt this knowledge within their likes and dislikes and their personal environment (and when it changes).

This means making threads and asking questions. This means getting on GOOGLE and doing specific searches. This means reading books, etc.

2. Take the time to learn about different exercises you can do with your limited exercise equipment (or get a gym membership). Learn about the different types of body weight exercises, etc. Get a good grasp of the basic mehanics.

This means to get to making threads and asking questions about them. This means getting on GOOGLE and doing specific searches. This means reading applicable books that are applicable to your situation and goal choice.

3. Earn some understanding on the calories burned during certain exercises that are applicable to you and personal situation.

This means to get to making threads and asking questions about them. This means getting on GOOGLE and doing specific searches. This means reading applicable books that are applicable to your situation and goal choice.

Application of knowledge of diet and fitness along with application and knowledge of your equipment is the key. You can live your life with diet and fitness and be content with it at the same time.

You don’t have to get obsessed, but you do need to apply "enough of you".

"You need to just blend it in your life just enough" if you want it bad enough, to allow compliance progression toward your goal. We are not striving to be fitness athletes; however, the speed and agility of one's goal can be determined by application within one's lifestyle.

Go at your "educated" speed despite the naysayers. There are always going to be opinions on what you do, "let your education on diet and fitness guide you" according to the bodily feedback you are getting.

One must be the Quiet-Riot in their Diet, and this begins before going to the grocery store:

Be proactive in thought when going to shop for food:

Most know to eat multiple meals during the day, so I will not address this. (there are exceptions of course)

When I go to the store, I have this mentality:

1. I look for foods that are bulky and carry the nutritional value that fits within the macronutrient value I seek (all macronutrients). Staving off hunger perception one.

2. I look for bulky food items that will "stave off hunger" (for the times I may need it), that a carry a good nutritional value in accordance to its low calorie value. There are so many food items to assist with cravings they are nearly endless, and SHOULD BE implemented into ones war on cravings. Specific refrigerator items to combat cravings, perception two.

In my opinion, one needs to eye ball the "total circumference of the diet" and use it as "ONE of" the tools to stave off hunger that is "nearly" unavoidable when one deficit diets to lose quality fat tissue.

A lot of the hunger tolerance can vary per individual, but has to be appropriately dealt with.

With this said, I tend to avoid (but use it limited) most liquid protein and opt for protein that has the potential of occupying a large portion of my stomach's physical capacity and take longer to digest. Liquid protein doesn't do this for me. Though I will use whey protein powder once in a while to try to get my protein in, as its especially important on a deficit diet. I'm just more consistent in eating protein in hard bulky food.

I take the same approach with carb/fiber "rich" foods. I dont add in good fat rich foods because they tend to carry a lower physical density but a higher caloric value; therefore, I will "usually" mix fats within my protein and carb "based" food intake.

I pay attention to "good solid foods" that require some water to make.

A couple of examples:

Lets use two carb/fiber based foods for an example: You ever put far "too much" water in old fashioned oatmeal, and say "damn!", only to let it sit for several minutes and the water was absorbed and the oatmeal thickened up? Now take this and think what it does within the fluids of the stomach.

The same type condition happens with quick Long Grain Brown Rice. I drink water immediately after consuming LGBR or Oatmeal for this reason. It swells the food and will give a feeling of fullness and it can last to the next meal--dependent on goal position.

Now, if you were to add a somewhat bulky protein item to the LGBR (of your choice) this will add to the bulky business of staving off hunger. Lets use chicken. I buy fresh and frozen chicken breast that have been cut to portion sizes of about 120c per serving. I will add three portions and cut them into chunks into two servings of LGBR along with a small amount of garlic and parmesan. After consuming I make sure I drink at least two full glasses of water. Calories are about 620c, carries a good carb and protein intake and a bulk ingredient to stave off hunger.

Now, if I get hungry in-between meals, and my life has made me space my meals out more than I like, and I am near my limit, but not over it, I have the purchases I have made from the grocery store in my refrigerator (and can take to work), that are specifically designed to combat the cravings, and I am not acting on a whim, but rather being proactive in dealing with it.

This is one example among many I do (I'm trying to prevent this from being too long, LOL):

1. EAT Lettuce (A whole head can carry "about" 20c per head . Its bulky, can take some time for the body digest, and can fill one fast. Add in a quality low calorie dressing of personal choice (In addition to flax oil in my case).

If I happen to be at my limit, I have various "liquid" items in the fridge to deal with this that are water based, to thwart off the bland taste of water once in a while.

I also use my fitness equipment sometimes when I feel hungry to my advantage--which is another post, lol.

FOOD CAN BE USED to COMBAT CRAVINGS, BABY! Redesign your thoughts!---and so can implanting "appropriate" timing of minor fitness activities

The purpose of this post is to get one to think. Right at your fingertips as a wealth of information.

There ARE OPTIONS.......to combat the shortcomings of deficit dieting.....you have to use your BRAINS, and TEACH and EDUCATE yourself along the way

Feel the thunder of using your terrific mind!

Best wishes to you!

Chillen

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One of the huge mistakes I made was not dieting to my strengths. I am a big night eater, and if I don't ave a lot of calories for dinner and after I break.

I have learned to keep at least 4-5 food items in the house that satisfy cravings in case of emergency.

--Pickles for that salty craving
--Tomatoes (with salt)
--Fat Free pudding for that ice cream craving
--Pork rinds and salsa for that chip and salsa craving
--Tomato juice. Fills my stomach when I feel hungry.

Not only did I learn to eat around my strengths, but also to have a backup plan to address my weaknesses.
This is excellent! And, I basically do the same thing. When my diet is targeted to lose tissue, I go to the store "specifically" to buy beverage and food items to combat hunger cravings, because I expect them and its a very normal bodily reaction when its being deprived. I try not to out think myself, I can eat a whole head of lettuce (sprinkled with a fiber sup), with low cal dressing real fast, and this curbs the appetite real fast. We have to use our brains, because the body does not know what is best for it (all-the-time), though it thinks it does, and we have to be ready for the feed back it gives us to be successful, IMO.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 09-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I can eat a whole head of lettuce (sprinkled with a fiber sup), with low cal dressing real fast, and this curbs the appetite real fast. We have to use our brains, because the body does not know what is best for it (all-the-time), though it thinks it does, and we have to be ready for the feed back it gives us to be successful, IMO.
I can do the same with 8 tomatoes, or with a bowl full of pickles. the interesting thing about cravings is that sometimes I can go a month craving salt, and then the next month I do not want salt at all.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn

Updated the former post.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Chillen
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I can do the same with 8 tomatoes, or with a bowl full of pickles. the interesting thing about cravings is that sometimes I can go a month craving salt, and then the next month I do not want salt at all.

You specifically crave, salt? Or just salty foods in general?

My food down fall, is Peanut Butter. I more than love it, but its so calorie dense, with its good fat base. I crave it all the time, lol. Can eat it 24/7. It never goes away, lol. So, I meet mr. lettuce, other veggie partners, and fiber-water, etc.

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

From time to time salt. It comes and goes though. when it comes it's usually for weeks at a time.

I have never had the itch for peanut butter. It might be from my childhood though. many times all we had in the house was PB&J sandwiches.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I'm one of the odd people that don't get hungry, in the hunger pangs way, very often.

However, I do feel that when nutrients are lacking, the body will try to rebalance itself by getting us to crave the lacking nutrient; on occasion, I go through a tomato phase and then I'm fine. The body is pretty smart that way, it registers what it gets from the very first time we ever put a substance in to the body and then knows where to obtain it at a later stage when it requires it. So, cravings shouldn't be entirely ignored for that reason alone.

Some suggest a subsitute food, but that just doesn't fill the gap; other sources suggest having a small amount of the food that is being craved which seems to work if a person is able to control the portion.

I also read a piece today which suggests that it is good to think about food because if we think about a specific food for about 90 seconds there is a brain reaction which switches off the craving...I'll lay my hands on the article tomorrow if possible, and post the details up, because I'll have to search for it (but just remind me, if I forget).
Old 09-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

For me it's kids cereal. I can't look at a box of Cap'n Crunch without salivating.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote