Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gyms....good & bad things (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7191)

storm1507 08-29-2011 08:26 AM

Gyms....good & bad things

Hey guys, could use everyone's help.

I am very involved w/ opening up our new rec center (with gym) and would love your alls input. I may even be working there as a part time manager. If not, I will still have quite a bit of authority over the gym portion.

What are some of the little things that you love about a gym? Hate?

Thanks.

Carl1174 08-29-2011 08:28 AM

I love dip stations and hardly any gyms close to where i live seem to have them for some reason.

Oh and there has to be loud music :)

Carl.

Off Road 08-29-2011 08:47 AM

I don't belong to a gym, I lift at home. But if I was to look for a gym, I'd want a lot of cages and benches and lifting platforms. Oh ya, and a big sign above the cages that reads, "Absolutely No Curling in the Racks."

BendtheBar 08-29-2011 08:48 AM

I love seeing equipment for all skill levels and goals. Some gyms I've been too have no real squat rack, and/or they have bars that do not support much more than 300 pounds without bending like a noodle.

I like having an inviting feeling that makes you want to work hard. Some gym are lifeless and sterile...bland white walls, bright fluorescent overhead lights. I can't workout in environments like that.

I like having cardio equipment away from hardcore free weights. More liek a progression as you walk in the door...moving from cardio bunny to machines to the freeweights. Keep the soccer moms and freeweight lifters apart to concentrate and do their own thing.

I would LOVE to see a gym with spot stands on the bench press. I have them at home. They are adjustable, and not that expensive. If all gyms had these I would be a happy man. Something like this:

SAFETY STAND ATTACHMENT

storm1507 08-29-2011 09:04 AM

Thanks guys.

All the equipment has been purchased, but we can possibly add a little here and there later. Thanks for the spotter link BTB....haven't seen those before.

We will have the freeweights seperated by a "wall" (not a complete wall, just a little barrier). Hmmm, bad planning on my part....the cardio will be in the back portion so no excuse to walk by the bunnies. But, I guess they have to walk by us though. :D Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought.

Dip stations, racks, etc. .....done.

I have told several people that there will be signs in the racks...."No curling or you have to answer to the Lil Ol Man". :D

I'm more interested in rules you like/dislike and the little things we can do to make a difference.

Off Road 08-29-2011 09:06 AM

Allow and supply chalk :)

Fazc 08-29-2011 09:11 AM

I don't really mind what people come to a gym to do, they all pay their memberships; but as long as they're actually there to work out.

What I can't stand are people just loafing around turning it into more of a social club than a gym. Disperse any large groups of (usually) youths standing around. Apart from that I'd let people get on with it. I'm not a big fan of too many rules.

kitarpyar 08-29-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 165849)
I don't really mind what people come to a gym to do, they all pay their memberships; but as long as they're actually there to work out.

What I can't stand are people just loafing around turning it into more of a social club than a gym. Disperse any large groups of (usually) youths standing around. Apart from that I'd let people get on with it. I'm not a big fan of too many rules.

Gotta agree with this ^^^

I have worked out only in my school gym, so I dont have much experience of other gyms. Other than curling in power rack, I have also noticed that lot of lifters do deadlifts, cleans and barbell rows (from the floor) while standing in the power rack. These are heavy lifts no doubt, but you dont really need a power rack for these, and keep others from squatting or doing rack pulls, or pin presses and such while you go about working from the floor.

Our gym has about 4-5 of extra Oly barbells (apart from those in the power racks), and plenty of unoccupied floor space. I would like to see folks using this space and those extra bars, especially in the rush hours. I dont care if they use the power rack for curls or rows or whatever as long as there's nobody waiting to do a set of squats or pin presses or any lift that actually needs the power racks.

Rather than actually state this as a "rule", it might be a good idea to educate a gym member about these things as a matter of "etiquette".

storm1507 08-29-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitarpyar (Post 165860)
Gotta agree with this ^^^

I have worked out only in my school gym, so I dont have much experience of other gyms. Other than curling in power rack, I have also noticed that lot of lifters do deadlifts, cleans and barbell rows (from the floor) while standing in the power rack. These are heavy lifts no doubt, but you dont really need a power rack for these, and keep others from squatting or doing rack pulls, or pin presses and such while you go about working from the floor.

Our gym has about 4-5 of extra Oly barbells (apart from those in the power racks), and plenty of unoccupied floor space. I would like to see folks using this space and those extra bars, especially in the rush hours. I dont care if they use the power rack for curls or rows or whatever as long as there's nobody waiting to do a set of squats or pin presses or any lift that actually needs the power racks.

Rather than actually state this as a "rule", it might be a good idea to educate a gym member about these things as a matter of "etiquette".

Yeah, I have thought seriously about 2 rules.....

1. Respect others
2. Respect yourself

I wonder how that would work?

kitarpyar 08-29-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storm1507 (Post 165862)
Yeah, I have thought seriously about 2 rules.....

1. Respect others
2. Respect yourself

I wonder how that would work?

Both taken together sounds like a great combo.