Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Stroke, or...

As I posted yesterday in my workout log, I had an "incident" while working out yesterday.

I was playing around with limited rest cluster sets, a slight, but more taxing variation of my standard training approach, when out of the blue I got a brutal and instantaneous headache. I felt weak, and my left eye felt slightly off/numb.

This happened after my second set of T-bar rows. I've never had an exertion headache before. I had to stop my workout immediate.

It was so bad that at first I thought I was having a stroke. But as I sit here today, I'm sure it was somehow sinus related. I had a brutal sinus headache the previous day, and the day before that I was slightly sick with a sore throat.

I'm now sure it wasn't anything as bad as a stroke, but it sure scared the living crap out of me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

i can only imagine
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Sinus problems can be a serious pain, and health issue.

I made the mistake, "ONCE", of jumping when my sinuses were less than fully clear. We had gotten out at 15K, and around 8K it felt like my teeth had exploded in my mouth. I had pain for days after that, but never did that again.

Actual sinus infections can be very serious. A friend of mine had a sinus infection that progressed to the point of him being hospitalized. His face was swollen to the point that he was barely recognizable.

Take care next workout, and if the symtoms return, then it's time to see your ENT.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Sinus problems can be a serious pain, and health issue.

I made the mistake, "ONCE", of jumping when my sinuses were less than fully clear. We had gotten out at 15K, and around 8K it felt like my teeth had exploded in my mouth. I had pain for days after that, but never did that again.

Actual sinus infections can be very serious. A friend of mine had a sinus infection that progressed to the point of him being hospitalized. His face was swollen to the point that he was barely recognizable.

Take care next workout, and if the symtoms return, then it's time to see your ENT.
Thanks man. I think I need to back off some of the higher intensity and heavy, 90+ loads for a week and just try some old fashioned straight sets of 6-10 reps.

Right before my injury, I did 10 sets of 4 reps on Yates Rows with heavy weight, and with only 30 seconds rest between sets. I was straining like a pig running up a hill.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

You may have put too much stain on your traps causing pressure on the blood flow or nerves running up your skull. I sometimes get a sharp almost electrocuted pain up the side of my neck into my head. Just happens out of the blue. Hurts like hell.

They also call them tension headaches for a reason. All those muscles and nerves running along the cervical portion of your neck can cause all sorts of problems.

I was rear ended in an auto accident 10yrs ago. Total'd my car. I have recurring issues with my neck, and right scapula area from time to time. I've got a decent Chiropractor that gets things put back where they go, and I'm pain free till things degenerate again. Havn't had many isues since I started lifting again, and keeping myself stronger.

My Sister is a DC., Although she no longer practices. I wish we lived closer, because she really knows her stuff. I hate finding new DC's. When I find a good one, I stick with them.

Definately back off a little, if you've been hitting it at the 90% for a while. Don't wan't to stay in that regime too long. Hit it, then set a new % to work back up from again.

Don't want to find yourself on the disabled list.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post

Definately back off a little, if you've been hitting it at the 90% for a while. Don't wan't to stay in that regime too long. Hit it, then set a new % to work back up from again.

Don't want to find yourself on the disabled list.
Yeah, I think I'm going to lower the gears for a couple weeks.

And regarding my top secret picture...I don't mind if you guys give me grief. I was in powerlifting mode. I can always lose a few pounds

If anyone gives me grief, I'll remind them that my arms are bigger then their thighs, and that my forearms are larger then their arms

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-17-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I was straining like a pig running up a hill.
Careful dude!! I'm new around here, but I know somebody will take this sentance and your current, "top secret" photo, and use it against you.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
beam
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,054, Level: 34 Points: 3,054, Level: 34 Points: 3,054, Level: 34

beam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributorbeam is a dedicated contributor

Glad it wasn't a stroke. Thats serious biz. Take care.
beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks guys.