Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deadlift, lowering the bar (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6935)

5kgLifter 07-30-2011 04:46 PM

Deadlift, lowering the bar
 
Having viewed quite a few videos of guys doing deadlifts, I keep wondering whether it is wise to be lowering the barbell as slowly as it is raised in the intial phase of the lift.

I have read that in the deadlift the barbell should be allowed to "fall" back toward the floor/starting point, under control, but not to be "lowered" as such and that lowering the barbell under too much control of speed in fact puts pressure on the back which is not good.

Views anyone?

BendtheBar 07-30-2011 04:51 PM

My opinion is that it's best lowered either like an RDL, meaning close to the legs. I do this for real heavy lifts. For light 50-60% work I tend to let gravity do most of the work.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid.../6741-rdl.html

5kgLifter 07-30-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 157349)
My opinion is that it's best lowered either like an RDL, meaning close to the legs. I do this for real heavy lifts. For light 50-60% work I tend to let gravity do most of the work.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/vid.../6741-rdl.html

Wouldn't it be wise to let gravity do most of the work on the real heavy reps as well though, considering the amount of pressure the back would be under as the weight increases?

Squatter 07-30-2011 05:04 PM

I read somewhere that lowering the bar too slowly puts excess/unnecessary stress on the CNS. Unfortunately, I am forced in the JimGym to lower it slower than I would like since too loud of a bang wakes up the family.

5kgLifter 07-30-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 157365)
I read somewhere that lowering the bar too slowly puts excess/unnecessary stress on the CNS. Unfortunately, I am forced in the JimGym to lower it slower than I would like since too loud of a bang wakes up the family.

I have that problem as well, since I workout in a room upstairs, and we have neighbours, it kind of prevents me from lowering the bar quicker than I do at present, unfortunately.

glwanabe 07-30-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 157365)
I read somewhere that lowering the bar too slowly puts excess/unnecessary stress on the CNS.

Your already putting excess/unnecessary stress on the CNS just by the fact of training and lifting heavy shit off the floor! :biglifter::rockon:

Keep doing it!


Quote:

Unfortunately, I am forced in the JimGym to lower it slower than I would like since too loud of a bang wakes up the family.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 157366)
I have that problem as well, since I workout in a room upstairs, and we have neighbours, it kind of prevents me from lowering the bar quicker than I do at present, unfortunately.


There are basically two kinds of animals on this planet. Predators, and prey.

People who lift weights are predators, the others are prey. Predator training takes a higher level of importance over the comfort of sleeping prey animals.

People who lift at planet fitness are prey animals. Thats not real training, it's like any other creature using hide in plain sight techniques to avoid being eaten.

5kgLifter 07-30-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 157375)
Your already putting excess/unnecessary stress on the CNS just by the fact of training and lifting heavy shit off the floor! :biglifter::rockon:

Keep doing it!







There are basically two kinds of animals on this planet. Predators, and prey.

People who lift weights are predators, the others are prey. Predator training takes a higher level of importance over the comfort of sleeping prey animals.

People who lift at planet fitness are prey animals. Thats not real training, it's like any other creature using hide in plain sight techniques to avoid being eaten.

LOL, though we can get kicked out of our house if complaints are put in to the police, so not really an option for me there anyway. ;)

kitarpyar 07-30-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 157376)
LOL, though we can get kicked out of our house if complaints are put in to the police, so not really an option for me there anyway. ;)

Using a soft rubber mat might help? Am guessing that the weights hitting a rubber mat wont nearly be as noisy.

Luckily, I lift in the school gym, so I have no such fears :)

big valsalva 07-30-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glwanabe (Post 157375)
There are basically two kinds of animals on this planet. Predators, and prey.

People who lift weights are predators, the others are prey. Predator training takes a higher level of importance over the comfort of sleeping prey animals.

People who lift at planet fitness are prey animals. Thats not real training, it's like any other creature using hide in plain sight techniques to avoid being eaten.

Too good to be true! Looks like SOMEONE has been drinking coach Rippetoe's Kool-Aid.

glwanabe 07-30-2011 08:39 PM

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/koolgame2.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.