Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   64 yr old with arthritis in hips (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6709)

wesrman 07-05-2011 04:05 PM

64 yr old with arthritis in hips

I have to write a program for a hypothetical 64 yr old female client with arthritis in her hips for my interview tomorrow.

Anyone have any info that may help me?

Thanks

BendtheBar 07-05-2011 04:06 PM

Does this hypothetical involve any specific goals....say weight loss? Or is it just general fitness and health - stay active sort of thing?

wesrman 07-05-2011 04:14 PM

Its a case study that asks me to plan a 60 minute workout plan for a woman who is a 64 year old retired nurse who has osteoarthritis in both hips. She walks 45 min every day and would love to be able to keep up with her 2 grandchildren. Her body fat is 32%. She also wants to look her best for her trip in 6 months.

I also need to identify 5 methods to build a client base as a personal trainer.

Ive found some decent info, but i find it hard too write a program without talking to the client and seeing/hearing what shes capable of.

I appreciate the help.

:)

wesrman 07-05-2011 04:17 PM

Random thoughts.

Squats are prolly out.

Do i say leg extensions and curls? or is biking enough for her legs?

I WAS THINKING OF MAKING HER SWIM SINCE THIS PLACE HAS A POOL. Sorry for the caps im too lazy to erase it. :P

Maybe 20min weights, 20 mins cardio -swim/bike/walk 3 times a week plus walking the other days?

BendtheBar 07-05-2011 05:01 PM

I would probably keep her with isolations in the low body...extensions and curls. I don't see how the adding strength could be anything but a good thing, but I reserve the right to be wrong. Never had hip arthritis :)

I think I would keep her to machines so she minimizes down time and doesn't have to bend and fart around with free weights. Maybe a fullbody type circuit.

Just thinking out loud.

wesrman 07-05-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 150256)
I would probably keep her with isolations in the low body...extensions and curls. I don't see how the adding strength could be anything but a good thing, but I reserve the right to be wrong. Never had hip arthritis :)

I think I would keep her to machines so she minimizes down time and doesn't have to bend and fart around with free weights. Maybe a fullbody type circuit.

Just thinking out loud.

Nice! you echo my thoughts exactly. I had it as supersets thru the whole routine. something like this
leg ext
leg curl
push
pull
crunch
2 sets of each? 3 sets?
followed by 20 mins bike or swim

i am also thinking out loud and very much appreciaate your thoughts.

wesrman 07-05-2011 05:11 PM

it has to be 60 mins.

im also curious of your thoughts on how you would plan her weekly routine. i would guess 2-3 strength/cardio days and the rest walking?

BendtheBar 07-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesrman (Post 150261)
Nice! you echo my thoughts exactly. I had it as supersets thru the whole routine. something like this
leg ext
leg curl
push
pull
crunch
2 sets of each? 3 sets?
followed by 20 mins bike or swim

i am also thinking out loud and very much appreciaate your thoughts.

If she does multiple sets I would keep her at a station and do all sets before moving on.

I would try to give her exercises right out the gate that don't involve a lot of lying down. If you have upright machines for curls it would be nice.

Maybe I am being too gentle here.

You have an assisted dip machine? That might be a good press movement?

wesrman 07-05-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 150269)
If she does multiple sets I would keep her at a station and do all sets before moving on.

I would try to give her exercises right out the gate that don't involve a lot of lying down. If you have upright machines for curls it would be nice.

Maybe I am being too gentle here.

You have an assisted dip machine? That might be a good press movement?

IDK about a dip machine cuz ive never been in the gym lol. I was thinking of just writing in horizontal push, rather than a specfic exercise, an saying that we can use whatever "tool" the client feels most comfortable with. What do you think of that?

wesrman 07-05-2011 06:40 PM

Anyone have any ideas about the 5 methods of buiding clients?