Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

method of building clients- (thinking out loud too)
-Be approachable in the gym: people want someone they feel comfortable with and build a relationship

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
I have to write a program for a hypothetical 64 yr old female client with arthritis in her hips for my interview tomorrow.

Anyone have any info that may help me?

Thanks
I don't know if this is too late...but anyway...

Squats and lower body work of that nature are most definitely out.
Low impact cardio such as stationary bike, swimming, walking, would seem fine.
Upper body weight work that does not tax the hip area would work as well.

Hubby has arthritis in hips (plus two replacements) and I sort his exercise plans for him and the above is what I go by...and tweak as I go.

Hope it was of some help.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Maybe I am being too gentle here.
I don't think so. I mean it really depends on the owner of the gym and what not, but most gyms are going to prefer these methods over what we would typically do.

Its gotta be hard to be a trainer and tell people to do some of the most ridiculous things, knowing damn well you'd never do them yourself...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If she does multiple sets I would keep her at a station and do all sets before moving on.

I would try to give her exercises right out the gate that don't involve a lot of lying down. If you have upright machines for curls it would be nice.

Maybe I am being too gentle here.

You have an assisted dip machine? That might be a good press movement?
With arthritis in both hips that would cause issues of stressing the one hip too much, depending on the degree of arthritis, of course; so, standing on one leg whilst the other performs the curl may not be a good option.

It really comes down to each individual and how much their body can take from one day to the next.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
wesrman
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
method of building clients- (thinking out loud too)
-Be approachable in the gym: people want someone they feel comfortable with and build a relationship
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I don't know if this is too late...but anyway...

Squats and lower body work of that nature are most definitely out.
Low impact cardio such as stationary bike, swimming, walking, would seem fine.
Upper body weight work that does not tax the hip area would work as well.

Hubby has arthritis in hips (plus two replacements) and I sort his exercise plans for him and the above is what I go by...and tweak as I go.

Hope it was of some help.
Thanks Babs i have leg extensions and leg curls for lower, plus biking and walking with maybe some swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post

Its gotta be hard to be a trainer and tell people to do some of the most ridiculous things, knowing damn well you'd never do them yourself...
Yes it is going to be very weird for me cuz im a free weight, basics, kind of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post

It really comes down to each individual and how much their body can take from one day to the next.
Thats the worst part of all this. If i could sit down with an actual person and discuss things i could make a good program for her, but i feel like this way im making a cookie cutter workout that may or may not work for her.

I appreciate the help from everyone. My interview is at 4:30!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
Thats the worst part of all this. If i could sit down with an actual person and discuss things i could make a good program for her, but i feel like this way im making a cookie cutter workout that may or may not work for her.

I appreciate the help from everyone. My interview is at 4:30!
Hope the interview went well! If at any time in the future you have to do something similar, include a comment about the part/s that you cannot work on due to lack of information about the specific indivual so that they know you covered all bases even though the routine that you present them with may not reflect it.