Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Grease the Groove?

Has anyone tried this method?

http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/20...-for-strength/

I'm looking to increase my pushup and situp totals (currently 41 and 47 respectively, without stopping, to failure). I've already started using this method by doing pushups and situps throughout the day, but wanted to see if anyone else here has experience with greasing the groove. The toughest thing so far is keeping the sets easier to keep from burning out.

I talked to a trainer at my gym who hadn't heard of it before but is a huge fan of Pavel, and is now thinking of using it to prepare for a powerlifting meet coming up.

(Thanks BTB)

Last edited by Soldier; 06-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've read about Mike Mahler's version. I will change your post count so you can post the link.

Edit" try adding the link now.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Has anyone tried this method?
I'm a big fan of greasing the groove! As soon as I can do more than 3 pullups without pain I'll be on a steady diet of multiple sessions, daily. There are few training principles as effective as increasing neuro-muscular efficiency.

The key - "Prof. Vladimir Zatsiorsky, a Soviet strength expert who jump shipped from the Dark Side of the Force to America, summed up effective strength building as training as often as possible while being as fresh as possible."

Manage fatigue!

Good luck

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Exactly. Managing fatigue has been the biggest issue so far. I did better today, only doing a few sets of both. I've got my pullup bar up in my bedroom door too, and I do a few every time I go in there. Glad to hear you had good results. I'm pretty excited about increasing my numbers so I'm ready to do these things all day in basic training.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm not sure if this specifically fits into the greasing the groove style, but I did implement a 5 day per week training protocol/experiment based on Pavel's ideas last year.

I worked all muscles 5 days a week, but with only one working set per day. My body and joints actually felt really good.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Yeah, actually that is. Most people know it for bodyweight movements, but that's just because most people are limited to bodyweight stuff throughout the day.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Yeah, actually that is. Most people know it for bodyweight movements, but that's just because most people are limited to bodyweight stuff throughout the day.
I varied the rep ranges each day, but overall the month I ran this was a very pleasant surprise. And my strength went up.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quick update. After 1.5 weeks of greasing the groove with pushups every day, then 2 days of no pushups (I was back at meps, finishing up my enlistment), I re-tested and increased my maximum non-stop pushups from 41 to 46. But I didn't just increase how many I could do. . .the muscles felt different too. No burning like there was last time. Instead of hitting a wall, which happened last time at 35, my muscles just started to fade, and if I had 2 minutes to keep going like I will in my Army test, I bet I'd get out 10-15 more.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this method and the results. This is going to really help with my goal of 70 pushups by January when I ship.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Wlfdg
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19 Points: 1,231, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 34
Fav Exercise: Snatch
Fav Supp: Elk
Wlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good postsWlfdg has made some very good posts

Quote:
Quick update. After 1.5 weeks of greasing the groove with pushups every day, then 2 days of no pushups (I was back at meps, finishing up my enlistment), I re-tested and increased my maximum non-stop pushups from 41 to 46. But I didn't just increase how many I could do. . .the muscles felt different too. No burning like there was last time. Instead of hitting a wall, which happened last time at 35, my muscles just started to fade, and if I had 2 minutes to keep going like I will in my Army test, I bet I'd get out 10-15 more.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this method and the results. This is going to really help with my goal of 70 pushups by January when I ship.
Congratulations! Thanks for your service!

"There's no such thing as shaping and toning. Only stronger and weaker." -Mark Rippetoe
Wlfdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Thats good work!! Also a very interesting workout there! I will try it out sometime I think.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote