Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Soldier's training plan

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will know my ship out date for my Army basic training. I believe it will be sometime around the end of this year/beginning of the next, which gives me 7 months to prepare myself to kick ass once I'm in (yes, it takes that long these days, with tons of kids choosing service over going straight into the work force.) I'm already in better shape than many going in tomorrow, but I want to make a good push and take myself to another level so I won't have to worry about the physical part of basic, and can instead focus on the mental aspects of the training.

My main goals have to do with the Army's physical fitness test (PFT), known as a "2, 2, 2", which includes the number of pushups you can do in 2 minutes, the number of situps you can do in 2 minutes, and how long it takes you to run 2 miles.

Current; 45+ pushups, 40+ situps, and 15:47 for the 2 mile run.
Goals; 70, 70, and 14:15.

Here's my plan for the next few months. Every week will be the same.

Moday-workout 1
Tuesday-walk 9 holes of golf or 2 mile run
Wednesday-pushups throughout the day in sets of 25-30
Thursday-walk 9 holes of golf or 3+ mile run
Friday-workout 2
Saturday-situps throughout the day in sets of 25-30
Sunday- 3+mile or 2 mile run

Walking 9 holes of golf takes me over 3 miles while carrying a 30 lb.+ golf bag. It's a great workout.

For the 2 lifting sessions per week, I've included just a little heavy lifting to stimulate my CNS, along with lots of assistance movement for pushups. I tossed in squats at the beginning because they help my knees, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do them and still hit my runs hard. Cardio is extremely important, so if my legs are sore on running days I'll dump the squats. The weights for squats are low because I'm still recovering from some knee issues that kept me out of the squat rack for a few months. Squats are ATG. All weights are starting weights, which will be increased by 5 lbs each week.

Workout 1
:90 breaks unless otherwise noted
Squats 95x5
135x20
Bench press 185x3
3:00 break 225x3
Military press 45x3
3:00 115x3
Situps 1x25
Dips 1x8
1x12
Situps 1x25
Reverse grip bench
115x20
135x15
Situps 1x25

Workout 2
Squats 95x5
135x20
Military press 45x3
3:00 115x3
Shoulder width grip bench press
135x3
195x3
3:00 135x20
Reverse grip military press
45x?
65x?
Cable triceps extensions
?x15-20
?x15-20
Chest fly machine
?x15-20
?x15-20

The entire goal is to build muscular endurance while hitting the muscles from every direction, while also getting my body used to plenty of running. After a few months of this, I plan to go to one lifting sessions a week, and adding circuit training to really build up both muscular and cardiovascular endurance.

I'm very commited to this plan, but am quite interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on this plan and how I can best prepare my body for this eperience. Thanks for any and all input.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

I went though basic training in 1999-2000 when it was still hard..I am still a Army MP and I can tell you, you wont need any of this. Well the benching, Dips, And the rest you wont need

Will, Determination, Heart, Stamina, cardio. Running, Hiking, Push Ups, Bag Squats, Hiking with full gear..Crawling, Climbing, Going to the range and shooting, Hand To Hand learning how to work as a team, Learning to take orders and commands, Learning to shut up and talk only when you should, Learning to remember every vital detail. Grit and spit is what you need, Benching is worthless

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

Last edited by MMA Max; 05-29-2011 at 05:13 PM.
MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum.

I went through basic in 1991, and actually spent some time as a platoon Sgt (leading PT many times). My advice would be to build up to running 5-6 days a week, and to cycle sit ups and push ups every other day. The more you do of these, the better.

I tried to run before I went into basic training, and thought I was in good shape, but I quickly found out I wasn't. There more running you can do, the better.

You can never been in good enough shape.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
I went though basic training in 1999-2000 when it was still hard..
I went through Basic in 1984, and OCS in 1988 (approx), when they could still lay hands on you or hit you. This was abolished in 1987. So, mines' was harder (litterally). He, he.

Glad you started a journal, Soldier...........Rock on, my friend.

The main thing to remember (IMO), is to TRAIN FOR WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENCOUNTER IN THE TRAINING. (Train in like manner--as possible)

Just a second, I have something for ya,,,,(I will edit this post).

EDIT PORTION:

To start with, never train just to "meet" the minimum standards. The standards are just that, the bottom line to pass--when tested in certain exercises (such as: Situps, Pull-ups, and certain numbered mile runs).

Meanwhile, in between, (in grass drills), you will be peforming litterally "hundreds" of pushups, sit-ups, mountain climbers. A 10-15-20 mile back pack marches with M-16A1, and for the first few weeks, VERY LITTLE SLEEP (about 4 to 5 hours first couple of weeks) that training toward the minimum WILL NOT HELP YOU.

NOTE: I posted this a long time ago for a person who had quit school at 16 to go to basic training, so pardon some of it, and focus mainly on the training points.

You are going to need a training routine that is mainly and proportionate to high endurance:

If you are going to join the US Army/Marines, etc, do a search on the Basic/AIT training methods and what they will EXPECT from you.

Here is a brief description on what to expect (I wrote it fast so bare this in mind):

1. 400+ pushups or more (per day) in boot camp isnt uncommon. Hundreds more if your not doing grass drills for someone in the company or you making a mistake in the "traditions" (i.e. boots being shined to the Drill SGT's satisfaction, inspections, urinal cleaning, uniform presentation, etc, etc.). These pushups do not include normal fitness training and routine scheduling.

2. 300+ situps or more (per day) in boot camp isnt uncommon. Hundreds more if your not doing grass drills for someone in the company or you making a mistake. This does not include normal fitness training or scheduling.

3. A steady dose of mountain climbers unil you wake up and see that you have been doing them while you were asleep, about 300+ per day or hundreds more dependent on whether you or another company member makes a mistake.

4. Prepare for 4 hours of sleep: The first few weeks you will get about 4 hours per day of sleep. Sometimes you will be selected for "fire drill" which means you get virtually none in one day sometimes--the first few weeks of Basic.

5. The ability to handle someone in your face constantly putting stress on you--ALL DAY LONG, with exception of classes. If you find it funny (as I did when I was in), "he tells you to get your D@CK in the dirt", if you look at him, "your d@ck is in the dirt", etc. Every where you go there is no walking--its all "DOUBLE-TIME........ALL THE TIME"--there is no walking.

6. You run about 3 miles in the morning after fitness training, and then another 3 miles in the afternoon after fitness training (and this doesnt include the hundreds of pushups, situps, mountain climbers during grass drills INBETWEEN), and all the while getting about 4 hours sleep per day. The 3 mile run in morning and the 3 mile run in the afternoon, is just the "break-in" miles, they get progressively LONGER.

7. A high endurance application of cleaning pots and pans on "Mess Detail". LARGE POTS all day for HOURS. Regular and on going "Latrine Duty" cleaning toilets, urinals, and mopping floors.

8. Attention to detail in barricks, self, and for inspections--if you make a mistake (even if its common and understandable) its NO EXCUSE...d@ck in the dirt for "grass drills", and these can last for 30 minutes or more sometimes. Think of all the pushups you can do in one day. This isnt enough.

9.10 mile, 15 mile and 25 mile marches with full gear and backpack (with M-16, and pack can weigh 15 to 45pounds). Many BLOOD BLISTERS common. Many ankles swell beyond recognition. If you cant continue, one is out. Have to repeat basic after healing.

10. Obstacle course drills and time requirements. Must pass or out.

A very high mental and physical fitness is required. I did this off of memory rather quickly, so its not exhaustive. I took my basic at Fort Sill, Oklahoma (1984), and Officer Candidate School (OCS,which is WORSE) 1988.

Your training needs to be in high endurance methods of application. And, you need to have mental high endurance to withstand lack of sleep and tiredness in addition to tolerence to pain.

During the first few weeks of basic, it is pretty intensive "endurance" activities over "pure" strength activities.

The run type in boot camp is called the "Airborne Shuffle". Its slightly slower than a jog with short steps. You will have to progressively get to the point you can run at this type of speed for long periods of time (miles).

In addition, your upper body has to have alot of endurance and strength, but more endurance than strength. VERY high reps of pushups, situps, mountain climbers, chin ups (pull ups).

You have to have strength in your legs, but more "endurance" than "strength". I have see many big strong guys, bow out, because they didnt have the "endurance that is necessary" for the type of training being applied.

Trust me, being BIG and strong here, is no help, without endurance.

================================================== =================

Some funny stuff that happened to me in Basic:

I had to act like a dying "C-ck Roach" once when I messed up, and had to do it for 25 minutes while they drank coffee and laughed. The more I laughed, the more trouble I got in. ----------->cant take it too seriously, ya know, it is a mind game, but yet one has to control emotions, or "you see your D@ck in the dirt" many times. LOL

I went in the barricks with my boots on..........Oopps!
================================================== ==================

Another time, I had to put my head fully submerged in a camode (toilet for the young ones), and flush it........the drill Sgt. stated: "Thats your brain going down, you maggot!"

Then out for "Grass Drills": Push ups, situps, for another 25 minutes. Just me and the Drill Sgt on my @ss. LOL

Because, I went into the barricks with my boots on again, the very next day.
================================================== ===================

With the type of upbringing I had (self-esteem destroyed by parents), boot camp (though I hated it when I was going through it) was a MAJOR positive experience in my life and I look at it from many different angles and perspectives. One thing you will learn (if you go), is that the human body can withstand alot more stress than one thinks.

Boot camp and other army types of training, brings this to a clear point. Going with 2 to 4 hours of sleep, running miles and miles, and doing hundreds upon hundreds of pushups (and other exercises), withstanding severe cold, heat, and pain, proves one can do more than they think they can (when healthy), as MILLIONS of men and woman have gone through it.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 05-29-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Thanks guys! I understand that lifting isn't integral to prepare for basic, but I like lifting and don't want to stop. If after a month or so of this program I feel like the lifting is holding me back, I'll ditch it.

It seems like the main point you guys are making is that cardio is more important than I'm making it. I'll take that into account, and start adding more cardio after a few weeks of this. I'll also go ahead and ditch the squats so I can push myself harder and longer during my runs. I'm also planning, in the last month or 2 before I leave, to go to a military type schedule, doing early morning fasted training every day.

Does that all make sense?

I don't actually think I'm in really good shape, but after I saw all the kids who were at the MEPS with me, I'm way ahead of most of them.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Thanks guys! I understand that lifting isn't integral to prepare for basic, but I like lifting and don't want to stop. If after a month or so of this program I feel like the lifting is holding me back, I'll ditch it.

It seems like the main point you guys are making is that cardio is more important than I'm making it. I'll take that into account, and start adding more cardio after a few weeks of this. I'll also go ahead and ditch the squats so I can push myself harder and longer during my runs. I'm also planning, in the last month or 2 before I leave, to go to a military type schedule, doing early morning fasted training every day.

Does that all make sense?

I don't actually think I'm in really good shape, but after I saw all the kids who were at the MEPS with me, I'm way ahead of most of them.
Edited in content in my other post.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

My experience (very limited, esp. in army preparedness) is that running endurance has nothing to do with lifting, per se.

If you want to increase running endurance, you go hard 3 days a week increasing the length each time as you can, the other 2-3, you run light and if you want to lift, go for it. Doing squats on the off days doesn't make a difference in your running as far as I know. And running times seems to be your personal weakness if I may be so bold.

My own personal opinion, 16 min. for a two mile is not very fast, I'd up that a lot before going to basic training. Perhaps, I'm wrong, but a couple 8 minute miles doesn't sound like good fitness heading into basic training, and I doubt walking a golf bag will help with that (no disrespect!). I'd up that to at least a couple 5-6 min miles, maybe 11-12 min total for the two mile heading in to basic. Then you can be pretty sure of being ahead of most of your army class.

Ease back on the lifting, focus on your weaker (in my opinion) elements. Run hard/ish a few miles in the morning and run/jog a few lesser miles in the evening. Get used to running/jogging so that it is second nature to just go out and knock it out.

Just my humble .02. Good luck to you!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitality! View Post
Edited in content in my other post.
Thanks a TON. I'm not sure if the part about "training just to meet minimum standards" was already in there from your older post, but I'm certainly not doing that. I actually already meet those based on my age.

I'm definitely taking in everything you guys are saying. I've read lots of stories about experiences at basic, and although I feel I am "ready" mentally, inasmuch as one can be prepared for such things without having actually done them, I know I'll just have to do my best to take it as it comes. I think my best asset is that I realize I know nothing.

I know that golf doesn't seem like much of a workout, but I walk fast, and it requires me to remain mentally focussed while also doing something physical. I also hope to eventually work towards playing on the all-Army golf team, so I need to keep my game up.

I've been training with a simple, 5x5 based program. What I have planned is based on the idea of fading from that program into a completely endurance based program. The plan I have listed above is intended to be transitional. That being said, after the input I've received I will up the cardio immediately.

I do really appreciate all the input guys.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

I know that golf doesn't seem like much of a workout, but I walk fast, and it requires me to remain mentally focussed while also doing something physical.
Welly you will do plenty of walking in the service so golf certainly won't hurt.

Regarding squats...they dramatically helped my sprint speed when I was doing both basketball, running and lifting. I think they will be good for the "burst" when you need it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

The only time lifting was of any concern is when i was deployed to Ass-Crackistan and Iraq..When we were bored we lifted and trained what ever fighting system we knew on the outside..I taught my unit Ground Fighting and kali knife stuff.. When I went to mp school I actually had to much muscle mass and it pulled me down.. I would try to find a cross fit gym jones style stuff for MMa and try using that..That will help you far more then benching.

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote